Kara-Moon Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:40:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My Adventures in Monitoring...  (Read 5753 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: February 10, 2012, 03:38:19 AM »

I've been through quite a bit of excitement over the last 48 hours,as one of my Equator Audio D5's blew up in my face.I was casually watching a YouTube video at a normal volume,when all of a sudden,I was blasted with a loud pop that jolted me out of my chair...followed by me watching in horror,while I witnessed the power indicator light on my D5 go out.
At that point,my D5 was a dead stick...at which time I immediately went to Equator Audio's website,to view their warranty policy.Although they did advertise a 60-day satisfaction guarantee,there was no warranty to speak of,as it was stated that all of their products are sold as is and I went into a panic. Shocked Angry

I was shocked at what I had read and then after having read about another D5 user having a lot of trouble with his D5's,I grew very irate over this company.
I was kicking myself for not reading through Equator Audio's website in it's entirety & being convinced that there was nothing to be done about it,so I saw no logic in calling them up to complain and I was prepared to accept my loss and move on.

I had expressed my concerns on a couple of different gear forums,which is how I had found out about another individual having difficulties and today,I discovered that someone from Equator Audio had read my posts and he informed everyone that the product manual indicates that there is actually a 1 year warranty and that the disclaimer on the website was a policy that was outdated and overlooked.
I didn't have my manual in front of me and I didn't really have a clue as to where I had left it,so the most convenient & expeditious thing to do,was to go right to their website.
After reading his post,I called them up and spoke with him and he explained everything in detail and told me he was sending me out another D5 monitor,free of cost.
This of course happened after I had already shopped around and bought a pair of M-Audio BX5 D2's. Roll Eyes I had never intended on buying similarly sized monitors,as I was not entirely happy with the low end response of my D5's...so I was eventually going to upgrade to larger monitors.
However,there was a point early in the day,were I thought I should just buy something to replace my D5's and since I had found a retailer that was selling the M-Audio's brand new for $90 below retail,I was on a mission to make them mine! Evil Grin

Currently,I'm a bit on the fence as to what to do with two sets of monitors...as I was seriously considering selling the D5's,once I get the damaged one replaced.
I may not do that though,as I think it might be wise for me to have a back up pair,in the event that disaster strikes in the future.

I will be receiving my M-Audio BX5 D2's tomorrow and if I find they work fairly well with my PC that has been sanctioned for video production(& occasionally audio production as well),I was also considering adding an M-Audio subwoofer(the SBX10 model)..that is if I find that the low end of the BX5's isn't sufficient for my work.

Up until recently,I've always felt that a 2.1 system was problematic,tedious and unnecessary...but perhaps my views on the subject are ill conceived & ignorant and that I just need to educate myself thoroughly on the matter to make a reasonable determination on what is the most suitable course of action I should take,in terms of making some sound choices in what I buy.

So far,I've concluded that 8 inch monitors are just to obtrusive for my work area and don't provide much control over how much low end is dispersed in any given space.
Having a set of 5 inch monitors opens up a whole new world of options,whereby I can not only have the piece of mind of waiting until I set aside enough money for a separate subwoofer,I will also be able to have total control of how much low end performance I need from my monitoring configuration.

Ultimately,with everything that has transpired in the last couple of days,I think I found myself in a win-win situation...in that I'm left with more option and new ideas that may not have surfaced otherwise.

-Thom
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 03:41:32 AM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 05:28:54 AM »

Sounds like good news all around, Mr S. Cool
I'm happy that you are considering a 2.1 monitor set-up.
It's been three years since I switched from my old school near-field speakers to these tiny Cambridge SoundWorks satellites and subwoofer. After perhaps 3 weeks of careful experimentation, I was able to get the placement of sub-to-satellite optimized for any listening situation... mixing, mastering, casual listening, or home theatre applications. It does take some practice, but I know you have the ear for good audio.

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 06:32:39 AM »

Indeed...there is something definitive to be said of "learning your monitors" to get the optimum end result and my preferred school of thought was to find a pair of the-most-accurate-monitors for the money that made the whole process easier.

However,I now realize that it's near impossible to find such accuracy in a two-way design for under a grand and that a 2.1 set up may very well be the ideal set up for the under-a-grand budget.

My only concern is that given the very modest size of my studio,a pair of BX5's that have a low end response down to 53Hz,in combination with a sub,might put me over the limit(being that satellite speakers are typically used in 2.1 systems for small rooms).

That is to say,I know the sonic characteristics of my D5's,but not the BX5 D2's.The M-Audio SBX10 sub-woofer is design to work with M-Audio's BX & CX line of monitors,so I'm leaning towards the use of the BX5's with the SBX-10's.

I suppose though,that it's just a matter of adding additional acoustic treatment to what I already have in place,to even things out, overall.

-Thom

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: