Kara-Moon Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:08:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: DAW workflow suggestions  (Read 15139 times)
SLD Music

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 02:04:43 PM »

Marc,  good to know.

1.) I'll investigate the automation window and see what it does.  I admittedly have this problem less and less as get better at automation, but I still occasionally need to bring an entire track down or up in voume without messing with the relative automation curves.  And as we've both mentioned, there are several ways to do it.

2.) Yes, I was referring to bouncing VSTi's.  I imagine, for me, both ways would be useful depending on the situation.  I've always found the "mixdown" method a bit cumbersome, though--perhaps because I don't have mastery over keyboard shorcuts like you do.  I'll mess with it, for sure, because this is something I find myself needing to do a fair amount--particularly with samples I want to load into a sampler, and then later want to manipulate via audio processing.

3.) Yeah--for me who sometimes has songs that I need to do a lot of vocal takes on, this was an invaluable little tweak that made the whole process easier.  Smiley
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 02:06:52 PM »

Another thing I was wondering about, how are you liking C6's new feature  for recording multiple  takes and comping them?

Also known as Marc JXP
SLD Music

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 03:30:26 PM »

Well, I did upgrade to 6.5, but it was right before I left for New York.  And I haven't been able to touch my studio since I got back.  I do have a vocal intensive piece that I'm working on right now, and I will definitely be exploring the new take system in the coming week or so. 

What is it exactly? And how does it differ from the lanes system that Cubase 6 was using previously?

That said, I did mess around with Padshop a bit, and I really think it's cool.  Smiley  I know... it's another synth I don't need, but it really is pretty nifty.
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 03:39:51 PM »

Cool! I didn't go to 6.5 yet (I plan to finish Earth Summit first - there shouldn't be any problems upgrading but I want to make sure that that gets done in time and I don't like upgrading essential software mid-project).

Heh - actually, I think I meant the lanes system here. I haven't used it myself so far as I don't normally record multiple takes  in audio (should however try and get to know it as lately we've started to work with singers and it would definitely have saved me some time).

Also known as Marc JXP
SLD Music

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 04:12:56 PM »

Ok.  Well, yes, I know the lanes system.  Smiley  And... well, it's okay.  I wouldn't say I love it, but it pretty much works. Smiley Honestly, I don't actually use it that much because it can be a bit tricky.  It's too easy to mess things up.  After maticulously deciding which take to use in which spot in your recording by doing a sort of complicated combination of selection, moving the cut points, etc.  All it takes to mess the WHOLE thing up is to click on the wrong thing ONCE.  And although I don't remember for sure, I THINK those changes might not be "undo-able" (much like mixer changes in Cubase, which is another thing that drives me crazy.  In Ableton EVERYTHING is undo-able).  I could be wrong about that though.  In ANY case, it's too easy to mess up your comp takes without realizing it in the Cubase 6 system.  It seems like a good idea at first glance, but when you start working with it, you start to see what a sort of.. pain in the butt it is.  I think that might be why they changed back to an earlier system that people liked better (along with some improvements) in Cubase 6.5.  At least I hope it's better.

So the short of it is, I have used it, and under certain circumstances it might be totally fine, but I really don't use it anymore except on a very limited basis.  If I don't feel that I got the perfect take (or as close to perfect as I can get it), I'll erase the take and do it again.  It's that simple.  Unless there's a specific reason for me to sing a part all the way through (and there are good reasons for this), I rarely do that in the the studio.  I break the song out into sections and sing one section at a time. If I REALLY need to go back to a previous take, I'll find it in the pool and resurrect it from there.  Then again, I have the luxury of actually being the performer when I'm doing this.  So if I don't like it, I can just sing it again.  You wouldn't have that luxury with a singer you have to bring in for a liimited time, and use the takes they give you for better or worse.

Anyway, I'm going on and on about it, but the short of it is that the lanes system is fairly cool, and very easy to use, but at the same time, it's very easy to screw it up as well.  I suspect there's a better way, and I'm curious to delve into Cubase 6.5 to see what they've come up with on that front.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: