Kara-Moon Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:50:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Doepfer modular synthesis  (Read 4879 times)
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« on: April 20, 2012, 01:37:34 PM »

I've always found modular synthesizers endlessley fascinating and since a year or so I have a Doepfer A100 system which has gradually grown with additional modules to expand my options. Anyway - here's the current state:

On top: Doepfer Dark Energy, a stand alone semi-modular synth. Basically VCO, VCF and VCA in a compact package with two LFO's and an EG. Even without repatching it's very versatile but having patch points makes it double the fun! It also has a MIDI in and CV outs for gate and frequency so it makes it a great interface as well to get MIDI information to my A100.

The A100 currently  has these modules:
On top:
- Slew limiters (think slide effect when applied to note frequencies)
- VCO (simultaneous output of saw, square/pulse, triangle and sine)
- Frequency divider (half a frequency to get more bass to the original sound)
- Noise (also has a random voltage output)
- Mixer
- Oberheim XP style filter (multiple modes)
- Moog style ladder filter (multiple modes)
- Dual ring mod (think Dalek voice!)
Bottom
- Clock division/Clock sequencer modules: you can use these to generate simple on/off sequences
- Quad ADSR: really fun module; not only is it four seperate EG's, but the seperate stages of an envelope can be used to trigger other stuff or even itself - basically you can turn an env into a very flexible LFO!
- Multiples: so you can patch one cable into multiple destinations.
- Dual sample and hold: turn something like the random signal from the noise generator into a stepped random signal that can be used to create  random note sequences or random stepped filter sequences.
- VCA
- Small-jack to big jack multiples: I use these since most audio cables use big jack connectors and I got tired of using adaptor connectors.

* Doepfer-2012-A.JPG (1009.07 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 736 times.)

Also known as Marc JXP
Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 04:32:02 PM »

Oh, that is so deliciously technical! Afro

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »

And it's actually more intuitive than you'd think - in a way, I think this is how guitarists approach getting the right tone and fx - by putting fx pedals in between the sound source and choosing which amplifyer and such. You start with a blank slate and you start patching in extra modules and other stuff and suddenly you find you're veering into a whole other cool direction! Smiley

Also known as Marc JXP
SLD Music

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 07:00:05 PM »

That just looks... endlessly fun...

And an enormous potential time waster.  I fear if I had one, I wouldn't actually get a whole lot of actual music made.  Smiley  I'd be constantly "What if I did this"--ing through hours and hours of patching and experiementation.  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: