Kara-Moon Forum
April 18, 2024, 08:15:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The Engineer Vs. the Vocalist -- Making “Sleep Little Baby”  (Read 11975 times)
SLD Music

« on: May 16, 2012, 03:54:43 AM »

I contemplated putting this in the "Studio Tips" section, but then thought the better of it.  I encourage the powers that be to move it to its appropriate location if warranted.  Smiley

THE ENGINEER’S STORY

I often read both amateur and self-proclaimed pro “producers” alike lamenting the task of having to work with vocalists.  “They’re a pain in the ass,” I read.  “Frickin’ Prima Donnas!” they say.  “Good ones are hard to find,” I also hear.  As the recording engineer and producer for a new track by Scott Sizemore called “Sleep Little Baby” all I can say is how right those guys are!    The guy I worked with was a nightmare!  He had a decent voice… when he was on pitch.  He had okay intonation, when my teeth weren’t grinding like nails on a chalkboard because of his nasally vowels.  He had great vibrato, but practically had to be cattle prodded into singing a laser-straight note when it was needed.  And his range was entirely insufficient to the task.  

I’ve long since learned that good recording in the first place is better than studio corrections afterward, but there were times when this joker just didn’t get it.  My hand was forced to warp some audio so that entrances synced, and correct a few pitches of notes that were WAY below Mr. “I’m a Tenor One!”’s range.  I had to force him into take after take after TAKE AFTER TAKE in order to get usable recordings, and even then I had to comp much of the performance from the best of what I got.  

I did what I could.  I used the best mic I have—a Sure SM27 condenser for the vocals.  I ensured that the A/C in the house was off, the door was closed to prevent any cats from entering the studio, and that all the TVs and the speakers in the office next to the studio were off as well.  I forced him to warm up his voice properly before recording.  And ensured he had plenty of water in the studio to avoid the saliva clicks and pops that appear as a dehydrated mouth opens and closes in front of the microphone.  

Despite all my preparations it was a brutal process.  The vocalist was also the composer, so we’d go into the studio, record some scratch vocals, and then he’d see what I saw all along—some harmony wasn’t working or his arrangement was “un-singable” (whatever!) so he’d go back to the drawing board and edit the score.  We’d try it again, and he’d edit again.  He’d get sick, and we couldn’t record.  He’d strain his voice by over-singing (claiming he couldn’t “hear himself” in the headphones or some such nonsense), and we couldn’t record.  He’d have work, play tennis, spend time with his wife, go on trips to sing somewhere else (he claimed it was Carnegie Hall but I’m dubious).  Excuse after excuse, and again, we couldn’t record.  This went on for months.  Finally, after he nailed down the final arrangement, and eventually managing to shake a damn sinus infection after he returned from his trip, I denied him access to chocolate and forced him into the studio for a final push to get this beast recorded once and for all.  It took a week of studio time, but I finally wringed a usable compliment of vocals out of his throat.

From there it was all mixing, but at least that part I could control.  With good vocals, mixing is easier.  A little compression here, some EQ there, along with level adjustments, and before I knew it I had a decent mix to show some people I trust and get some opinions.  The final track is now in Oren’s hands, to be mastered.  I think, despite it all, we might just have ourselves a decent track when it’s all said and done.  I’ll tell you what, though, the stories are true--vocalists ARE a pain in the butt!

THE VOCALIST’S STORY

I had composed a nice little choral piece.  Eight versions of myself singing harmonies to piano accompaniment—simple right?  No big whop!  Not to an engineer.  Oh, no.  To him it was apparently a “very big whop.”  Something about the need for “pristine recording to avoid a buildup of the noise floor,” and “careful attention to mic technique in order to deal with the extremely wide dynamic range of the song,” and also complaining about the “horrible breathiness in your voice when you go below about a C”.  Blah blah blah.  It was like listening to the office IT guy complain about the pitfalls of security monitoring and networking protocols.  BOOORING!  I just wanted to sing my song.

Anyhoo, I needed to try to sing what I had in order to really understand the problems with my arrangements.  So we did spend a lot of studio time doing that.  I would sing a quick version, and then realize some problems and try and fix them.  I’d go back in, sing a little more, and fix a little more.  No big whop.  Engineer’s are slave drivers, though, I’m tellin’ ya.  That’s all I have to say.  I mean this guy, was ridin’ my ass from day one. “Why are you recording without a completed arrangement?”  “Make sure you warm up before we start recording.”  “Where is your water?”  “What kind of “ah” vowel is that anyway?  Are you singing classical choral or Merle Haggard twangy?!”  “Drink some water.”  “Seriously?  More reverb.  Dude, it’s frickin’ maxed out at the send. I’ll pre-fader it and give you NUCLEAR reverb in the cans if you want, but seriously--you’re just making it worse at this point.”  “You’re off pitch, AGAIN!  Sing it over!”  

I can’t even tell you how many times I heard that last one.  “You’re off pitch, AGAIN!  God… you SUCK!”  Uhg!  I swear, no matter what I did it wasn’t good enough.  I can’t sing with headphones on.  It’s just not the same.  What am I s’posed to do!?

Despite all my preparations it was a brutal process.  My voice got strained.  I got sick a few times and couldn’t record.  I like spending time with my wife more than the engineer, so sometimes I just said, “To Hell with you—I’m going to the movies!”  I had a trip to New York to sing in Carnegie Hall I had to get ready for, so that ate into studio time.  Plus it was just a lot of work doing take after take after TAKE AFTER TAKE!  And it was HOT in there!  I mean, seriously, had he ever heard of a little thing called air conditioning?  Geez!  He finally locked me in the studio for a week without chocolate and forced me to finish it out.  Those quiet parts at the end were a BITCH to sing.  I mean, I’d like to see HIM try and hold a laser-straight pitch at high G at pianissimo for like… thirty seconds and see if he can do it!

Eh… Whatever.  It’s done now.  I’m eating chocolate again as we speak.  He muttered something about “sync issues” and “compressing the vocals” and then disappeared into his studio for another few days.  Apparently he sent it to some guy named Oren to get it “mastered” (whatever that means), and we’ll have a final track done soon.  At this point, I’m just glad I don’t have to work with that dude anymore.

Meanwhile, he gave me a snippet of what will become the final track to share with everyone:

http://soundcloud.com/sld-music/sleep-little-baby-pre-master

I don’t know.  I think it sounds pretty good, if I do say so myself…  I think the engineer would disagree though.  And of course, the problems he points out are mostly my fault.  There’s just no pleasing that guy.  ::groan::

My grandmother died today.  And I was able to play her the full song (not quite complete but close enough) before she passed.  I’m dedicating this piece to her.  She was my second mother, and I will miss her terribly.  Even my engineer shed a few tears over her passing.  Maybe he’s not such a monster afterall…
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 04:07:54 AM by SLD Music » Logged
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 12:14:14 PM »

Great piece of writing Scott - and a fantastic piece of music!

Also known as Marc JXP
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 05:56:19 PM »

Great piece of writing Scott - and a fantastic piece of music!

First rate in every respect - arrangement, performance, recording - and now Scott the Engineer has "tweaked the mix to the max".
Grandmother must have been proud, indeed.

(Audio chops like this make my job so EASY!)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 05:58:56 PM by Oren » Logged

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 06:00:40 PM »

A big +1 on the story, and (at least) two thumbs up for the song.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
SLD Music

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 12:33:06 PM »

Thanks guys.  Smiley
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 12:46:25 AM »

This is a tremendous workload...reminiscent of the time that I had wrestled with a couple of Beach Boy covers a couple of years ago.If I could get just one of my vocal songs to sound half as good as this piece,I wouldn't have such a love/hate relationship with doing vocal work.

I'm sort of confounded by the fact that you function better without using headphones,as I can't even fathom being able to lay down a single vocal track without them...pretty amazing what works & what doesn't,for each individual! Huh Cheesy

Your piece is a vocal tour de force...very impressive and an exquisitely beautiful arrangement-bravo,sir! Cool

Sorry to read of your grandmother's passing.My grandparents are long gone and my parents are in their 80's and in recent years,I've made it a point to entertain them with my music as much as possible,while they're still around...which is one of the main reasons why I have done so many cover songs,because that is what they enjoy the most(provided that my vocal work isn't a total disaster-piece). Roll Eyes

-Thom

SLD Music

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 02:32:44 AM »

Thom,

Thank you so much.  Wow, I'm really humbled by your words.

To be clear though, I do use headphones to record.  I have to.  What I meant to convey, though is that I have a very hard time HEARING myself properly in headphones.  It's perhaps that I haven't quite found the right tracking reverb to use (or not use...), but it's never the same to me as the feedback I get from the actual room I'm singing in with my ears unfettered from the artificial headphone environment.  I've tried recording with one ear open to the room, but then latency and bleed from the headphones into the microphone becomes an issue. 

In short, headphones for vocal tracking are obvioulsy a necessity.  There's no getting around it, but it takes a good deal more concentration to maintain good pitch and moreover, not to OVER-sing when I'm hearing myself and the mix through cans, rather than hearing myself without them.  I'm still perfecting the best method for me.  As you say, everyone is different.

Anyway, thanks again.  Really.  I appreciate it.  If you think this snippet is good, wait til you hear the full 5 minutes of the mastered track I just got back from Oren.  It is AWESOME.  I'm listening to it on several systems now, but so far, it's just ... beautiful beautiful work. 

My mom keeps bugging me to record "Bridge Over Troubled Water" for her.  Which... I'll do some day soon, I guess.  ::sigh:: The thing is, I've performed that song so many times live over the years (a few times in front of her, mind you!) that I'm really tired of singing it.  I just need to buckle down.  It's the song, above all others, that she wants.  And I can't deny her that--not after the heartbreaking loss we both just endured.  Sad
SLD Music

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 04:07:14 PM »

Well,

Now I need to start thinking about artwork, and then figuring out exactly what to do with the song (where and how to release it).  The plan, I think is to make the full song at least streamable on soundcloud, maybe holding the download in abeyance for a future CD release. 

I don't know.  It took four months for me to record "Dirait-On" (a recording of someone else's song, and because of licensing issues and me being a stickler for the rules, I've been very stingy with sharing it with others).  Then another 5 or 6 months to write and record "Sleep Little Baby".  At this rate, I MAY have a CD's worth of material in another 3 or 4 years.  ::sigh::  If I included some of my electronic pieces on the disc, it will be sooner than that, but I don't know how that would all fit together... choral music coupled with synthy electronic music.  I'm still working on reconciling my "style".

ANYway, I also plan to release the sheet music for "Sleep Little Baby" on scoreexchange and sharing it with choral directors that I know in hopes that I might get it performed at some point.  I think it'll sound a LOT better when a real choir does it than my one-man-band recording does.  But I'll use my recording as advertising for that possibility. Whether to charge anything for the sheet music or the performance rights for it... I just don't know.

Eh... the toils and contradictions of music making and the complications of sharing it.  It's a hard row to hoe.  I'm not going to make any money making music--I know that.  Doing that is the equivalent of winning the lottery; still, 5+ months of painstaking effort and what I believe is a resulting pro-level track is worth something to ME, so somehow I need to make sure whatever I do with it is in line with what I percieve its value to be, regardless of what others think--even if all that means is keeping my rights... mine.  Smiley
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 06:12:27 PM »

A big plus on the story.  Unfortunately I could not hear the vocal, as soundcloud wouldn’t let me in, apparently you took done the demo Sad

The older I get the better I was!
SLD Music

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 01:50:13 AM »

Mario,

I did take it down, because I put up the fully finished and mastered track here:  Smiley

http://soundcloud.com/sld-music/sleep-little-baby

I also did a short 30 minute podcast about the making of "Sleep Little Bay" here:

http://soundcloud.com/sld-music/sld_music-podcast-1

I put it in the artist releases section, but doesn't hurt to repeat it here, I s'pose.  Smiley
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 06:25:18 PM »

Scott & Oren; superb work here,gents...implicitly professional & radio ready!  Cool

-Thom

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 07:38:23 AM »

Scott & Oren; superb work here,gents...implicitly professional & radio ready!  Cool

Thanks, Thom!

SLD Music

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 12:40:23 PM »

Thanks, Thom.  Smiley
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 05:23:10 PM »

-Thom

A super big +1

This was fantastic.  You should be very proud of this piece of music.

A ton of thumbs up  wOO

The older I get the better I was!
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 08:33:42 PM »

Sounds like the Engineer and the Vocalist really got it together after all :Grin

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: