Kara-Moon Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:58:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Chinese guitar from a Chinese-Canadian gentleman...  (Read 3491 times)
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« on: July 06, 2012, 01:04:38 AM »

Toying with the idea of owning a "hardtail" guitar (no tremolo bridge) for the album of 432Hz-tuned guitar music I'm embarking on, I thought about my first electric guitar, a Japanese-made SG, ordered from the T. Eaton catalogue in 1970. However, my preference for maple fretboards makes the Gibson SG a poor choice.
Then recently, I saw an advertisement on the local buy-and-sell website for an Epiphone SG (Gibson's "overseas" manufacturer) commissioned in 2009 by a large Canadian retailer which they called the "Negative" (because all of the colours are reversed) - and it comes with a maple fretboard. And, by all accounts, handmade - in Asia.

I contacted the owner, Jack, and he was nice enough to bring the instrument over to our little apartment. Imagine my surprise when I find Jack and his family are originally from mainland China, and so is the guitar! Imagine my further surprise to find that it is very possibly the best SG I've ever played... Shocked Thank you Jack!

* Epiphone "Negative" SG.JPG (1515.06 KB, 3408x2260 - viewed 470 times.)

* Back SG.JPG (756.66 KB, 1232x3442 - viewed 460 times.)

* Maple Rretboard - Black Binding.JPG (1167.11 KB, 1638x3614 - viewed 490 times.)

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 01:37:05 AM »

Fascinating story behind this ax and a 5 star score at that-nice! Cool Though I don't own anything hand built myself,I am surprised at the exceptional built quality of my Kurzweil(made in China)...as usually,I have always been more confident about the quality of Japanese-made keyboards,such as all of my old Korgs.

-Thom

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 02:07:28 AM »

I’m jealous

How does it sound?

When can we hear it?

The older I get the better I was!
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 05:26:33 PM »

That's a lovely looking axe. How is it I never get bargains like that? Roll Eyes

I bet Jack is happy to see it with someone who'll really care for it.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: