Kara-Moon Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:48:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Computer - Woo!  (Read 3790 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« on: November 18, 2012, 10:07:25 PM »

On one of my Linux groups sombody asked about A series AMD machines a while ago. I kept quiet because I
was in the process of getting one. Here is the spec:

MBO - ASUS® F2A55-M LE
CPU - AMD A8-5600K Quad Core APU (3.6GHz) & Radeon™ HD 7560D Graphics
MEM - 4GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz
SDA - 120GB INTEL® 330 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s - '/' & /home'
SDB - 180GB INTEL® 330 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s - '/audio' & '/source'

I've now spent a few days getting it exactly as I want it. I made very few BIOS changes. I disabled serial and parallel ports (the machine doesn't have them anyway) and set the CPU to 'performance'. Initially I disabled the on-board sound as I'm using my trusty 2496. But I got occasional boot oddities so re-enabled it.

I installed a minimal debian-squeeze without any problems at all, then just added the software I wanted. This was a bit harder than I expected as my notes from last time were not complete, and going from Linux 2.6 to 3.1 meant there were subtle differences, especially with stuff I had to compile.

The machine is very, very responsive and almost completely silent. The PSU has a slow running 120mm fan and the cooler on the CPU looks like something from a space lab!

With the stock 3.1 kernel I'm running at a latency of 5.8mS with no x-runs even when going full steam on Rosegarden and Yoshimi soft-synth munching 12 tracks of MIDI into far more multi-layered voices generated in real time (not from wavetables). Sequencer + synth playing of complex material that used to peak at around 70% total processor on a dual core Athlon, now peaks at around 20%!

My old computer has been re-purposed as a (rather fast) office machine, so that involved a lot of file swapping and checking that nothing was missed.

Now, I suppose I'd better get on and compose some music Grin

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 08:28:27 AM »

Sweet machine, Mr. Godfrey, and, may I say, you justly deserve it! wOO

There was a time when some Linux operating systems had trouble with ATI Radeon graphics cards. This is, happily, no longer the case

As to the solid state drives... there was some speculation in Microsoft circles, given that Linux moves the information around the drive very vigorously as it arranges it in the most advantageous fashion, that the drives would "wear out" prematurely.
I can attest to the fact that this is complete bullshit - the solid state drive of my old Asus EEEPC has been crunching data for many years now with nary a hiccup or sign of fatigue.

What fun! Cheesy

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: