Kara-Moon Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:37:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: My birthday present  (Read 12567 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 05:49:16 PM »

James,

The inclusion of a real drummer(due to a lack of realistic VST's),is of course a substantial upgrade & the audio recording quality is ace....but I'm sorry to say,the composition of this drum track is no better than the original(in my opinion).

It sounds as if the drummer is playing along with a rock song,as it has too much energy for this folk tune & it just doesn't gel,because the timing is all wrong for this piece.

The volume level is a bit overpowering as well.Honestly...I think this song stands well enough without drums at all.I know how pleased you are to have a real drummer in on this version,so it makes me really uncomfortable to disappoint you by expressing my forthright opinion...but it is what it is,as I see it.

My apologies to Mr.Robinson,but I call it as I hear it.

-Thom

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 06:00:10 PM »

Thanks for listening Thom.
I seem to recall you having a similar point of view when I first made this song.
I have always approached this one as 'apart' from my usual folk-ish style.
This, to me, was always intended to be my own personal 'rock anthem', if you like. My intention has always been for this to be a powerful, forceful piece and I'm more than happy the way it has turned out.

Shows how we all hear things in different ways  Roll Eyes

Wink
James

SLD Music

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 01:51:51 PM »

I'm totally new to this song, as I wasn't around in 2009.  Nice work, James!

Wish I could play guitar.  Smiley  ::sigh::  I realize you're calling this finished, and believe me, I can appreciate that sentament, especially when you've spent so much time and invested so much emotion into something to try to make it the best you can.  For my part, I like both version in different ways.  I like the first one for the fact that the drums aren't quite so present.  They are there, but not too prominant in the track--allowing you to concentrate more on the lyrics and mood.  On the other hand, I like the second version because the drums sound so good.  Smiley  Those are really nicely recorded drums, and there's nothing like live playing.  In addition, the looser playing style really does fit the song.

I really like both versions.  Congratulations on completing a song that was clearly very meaningful and important to you!  Nicely done!
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 10:44:06 PM »

Thank you for listening and your kind comments, Scott.

Wink
James

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: