Kara-Moon Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:09:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dream With The Fishes  (Read 8691 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: January 19, 2013, 05:01:02 AM »

Traveling down memory lane through classic K-M tunes,I came upon an old work of mine,titled; The Sea Before Me.This title immediately reminded me of Wyatt,due to his numerous seafaring songs.As I listened to my 2nd version of it,it was still just a conglomeration of ideas thrown together & wasn't really a song,by definition & it needed a lot of work.
What began as a re-work and a remaster,morphed into a full blown project & a subsequent tribute to our dear departed friend.How fortuitous & retrospective my nostalgia was,because this tune was imbued with a real purpose...because it drove me to push my creativity beyond the confines of myself.
Wyatt had this insatiable nautical obsession,which seemed to be his main source of inspiration and to this day,his immense creativity is fueling my song writing.I was really concerned about being able to recreate the original sounds,because I couldn't find the original work that I thought I had saved in Reason.
That being said,40% of my time was spent seeking the presets & the other 60%,was deleting the insignificant bits,adding new elements to the composition & remastering everything from the ground up.

Wyatt's friendship-along with his recommendation to me,of Propellerhead Reason....has really changed my life and my memories of how much fun & inspiration he added to K-M,will stay with me till the end of my days.

Here's to you my friend....once again.....

-Thom

* Dream With The Fishes.mp3 (7362.33 KB - downloaded 280 times.)

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 09:39:22 PM »

I enjoyed this enormously. Lots of great sounds and some really nice chord progressions. The only thing that jarred a bit was the very sharp sound that starts at 1:35.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 10:46:19 PM »

I enjoyed this enormously. Lots of great sounds and some really nice chord progressions. The only thing that jarred a bit was the very sharp sound that starts at 1:35.

Thank you for the kind feedback. Smiley As for the guitar bit that jarred you...well...I was experimenting with some resonance,buy pushing the "envelope",just before the brink of distortion.
There's actually a lot of resonance-play in this song,as that's the coloring I wanted,but I could see how on certain speaker systems,this could be unpleasant to the ears.

I noticed that with my newly acquired headphones,working on this song in the late night hours was jarring to me a bit...but the cans that I bought were not designed for studio work(don't use cans much,except for vocals,generally).
During playback on my studio monitors though,it sounded balanced to me.

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 01:41:35 AM »

I enjoyed this enormously. Lots of great sounds and some really nice chord progressions.

I couldn't have said it any better.

I listened with both my near field monitors and through my headphones and in both everything sounded balanced.

Having said that Thom, if you noticed the same thing with your cans then you know someone else will notice it also.

The older I get the better I was!
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 02:20:17 AM »

I enjoyed this enormously. Lots of great sounds and some really nice chord progressions.

I couldn't have said it any better.

I listened with both my near field monitors and through my headphones and in both everything sounded balanced.

Having said that Thom, if you noticed the same thing with your cans then you know someone else will notice it also.

Glad you concur Grin thanks! Cool Speaking of monitoring,I'd be really curious between the contrast of your headphones & the upcoming Adam Audio F-series monitors(being that you have entry level M-Audio monitors).
The F-series is Adam's new budget line of monitors & they will be showcased at Winter Namm next week(the 24th).

http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-audio/products/f7/series

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 05:26:34 PM »

I am not the one to compare near field monitors.  I’m 66 closing in on 67 years old and I’ve never had golden ears!  I just listen to them and pick the set that I liked.  I have had the M-Audio SP-5B for a number of years now and they must be still performing well as I have had very few bad comments on my mixes.

My cans are Philips/O’Neill and there are no other markings on them.  I bought them last year for around $125 USD, if my memory serves me correctly.  All I know my mixes sound the same whether through the cans or the monitors.

The older I get the better I was!
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 08:01:20 PM »

Sounds good on AKG K240DF phones.
Lotsa dynamic interest, cools sounds, and food for the soul! Afro

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 09:53:23 PM »

Sounds good on AKG K240DF phones.
Lotsa dynamic interest, cools sounds, and food for the soul! Afro

I had considered saving up for a pair of AKG cans,but I needed a pair of cans in a pinch...so I went with Auvio headphones from Radioshack...eventually I'll upgrade,but it's not a high priority.

Thanks for the kind review! Cool

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 10:48:19 PM »

Excellent stuff, Thom.
It does remind me of Wyatt and I can certainly feel his influence in it.

Wink
James

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 01:32:01 AM »

Excellent stuff, Thom.
It does remind me of Wyatt and I can certainly feel his influence in it.

Wink
James

Thanks James,much appreciated!  Kiss

Azell

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 05:35:12 PM »

J'AIME +++++
 wOO
Azell

Kara pour toujours
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 05:56:54 PM »

J'AIME +++++
 wOO
Azell

Merci!  Smiley

SLD Music

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 09:38:01 PM »

I liked this, Thom.  I didn't know Wyatt, but this song definitely has a strong sense of calm and adventure at the same time--conjurs up images of the sea, the water, and where it can take you both physically and emotionally.

Although I wouldn't call the guitar others referred to as... "jarring" exactly, it does... draw some attention to itself, and I suppose depending on your philosophy and intentions that could be a good thing or a bad thing.  It's an interesting sound in either case.  Not that it matters, but I just listened to this on some okay computer speakers while working.  Wasn't able to audition it on the Focal's or my Beyerdynamic headphones.
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 11:55:57 PM »

Thanks for listening,Scott.

Regardless of what's comfortable to listen to the individual listener,I had very specific intentions on the color of the theme,as I had pointed out previously & I have no plans to change anything in this song...whatever comments I receive about it.

It's really interesting to me though,how a certain pair of monitors,in a certain room & in a certain configuration,can alter one's perception of a song's fidelity...but as you pointed out,it could just be a matter of a very personal preference.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: