Kara-Moon Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:23:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lifetime of a soft synth.  (Read 5437 times)
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« on: February 24, 2013, 09:53:47 AM »

I remember the days where we used to discuss over the differences between hard and soft synths. Hardware was favoured because they would last longer than soft-synths. However, history has proven otherwise ! Technoly would evolve so fast that old software wouldn't be compatible with newer standards.

I discovered that after many, many years, my older soft synth still work on modern PC's. In fact, these softsynths don't get broken by aging time. Ok, not all makers adapt their products so they run on newer OS's, but serious ones do.

I must admit, 10 years ago, when someone would told me that I would be using the same software synths, I wouldn't have believed them.

No look towards the future: will my 10 year old soft synth still work?

Ehhhrrrrr..... why not ? My XP machine is still working, come to think of it, I could run even windows 98... isn't that one 15 year old ?

Moon
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 03:51:49 PM »

And even in the worst case, the cost of getting a new, similar softsynth is far cheaper than the repair bill for hardware synths...  Cheesy  Having said that, I do tend to like a combination of different sound sources but I do tend to regard all as replaceable.

Also known as Marc JXP
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 08:18:55 PM »

Another thing is that the line between the two is getting pretty blurred. A lot of modern 'hardware' synths are in fact less a case of special chips and more special firmware running in more general but good quality hardware.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 11:35:05 PM »

With the amazing quality & versatility of freeware VST's,coupled with the proliferation of PC-ready large LCD TV's...I can't fathom ever buying another hardware synth/workstation!
I have however,pondered the thought of perhaps once again,including a Kurzweil keyboard into my set up,but the lack of PC integration has yet to meet my needs and besides which....I recently discovered that the Orion DAW,supports Kurzweil's K2000 series samples!

To my knowledge,I've never used softsynths that are 10 years old(at least not in their particular version of that time)...but then again,some of the freeware I currently use,could very well be 10 years old,for all I know.  Grin

bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 11:46:16 PM »

I suppose that my saxophones are considered hard synths Smiley

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: