Kara-Moon Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:25:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 8 for a DAW ?  (Read 8190 times)
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« on: February 14, 2013, 06:43:10 PM »

It's been a while now since Windows 8 is out there. A couple of months back I bought a new laptop and it came with... you guesed it... pre-installed with Windows 8.

This laptop was going to be my workhouse, both for work and fun... eeehr... music!

So I started with my hopes high and promised myself I would at least try out Windows 8 for 1 month of usage.

The verdict after 1 month of usage...       ...where's that windows 7 installation media ?

Despite the new layer over the OS, I abbonded the new windows 8. I can understand the idea behind Microsoft plans: one for all platform. At this stage however, Windows 8 is a hugue step forward for tablets and smartphones, but unfortunaltly it isn't for those working on a PC / laptop and not taking advantages of touchscreens and alike. Productivity-wise, windows meant a step backwards for me. So, yes, I downgraded to Windows 7.

I know not everybody wil agree with me: a lot of my friends think that the new interface of Windows is groundbreaking. Unfortunaltly, it wasn't for me. I guess I'll have to see Windows 9 before considering a new OS for my workhorse laptop...

Moon
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 07:04:29 PM »

As a rule,I never bother with paying for an OS "upgrade"...in fact,the only time I ever even considered paying for an OS update,was when I had Windows Vista.
In that case(as it were),I just elected to buy another PC,because as long as I was upgrading the OS,I might as well upgrade my hardware as well. Grin

SLD Music

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 09:30:42 PM »

My work machine is still on Windows 7 and that's how it will remain.  Until I find something I need to do that Windows 7 won't let me do, there's no reason to upgrade.  So in that sense I have no idea how Windows 8 is for music.

I barely know how Windows 7 is for music, since my primary music machine is a Mac.  Smiley
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 10:52:01 PM »

I think everyone here knows I'm not a Windows person, but I do like to keep up-to-date with what the opposition are up to.

The message I'm getting very strongly is that Windows 8 is a consumer environment and definitely not for serious producers of music/art or whatever. Furthermore it is most emphatically useless for software developers.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 01:29:04 AM »

...hmmm - I hear it does word processing quite well... Cheesy

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 06:38:44 PM »

...hmmm - I hear it does word processing quite well... Cheesy
Pffft! So does my BBC Model B computer Tongue

P.S.
{click} Brrrr Beep! and it's ready to go Grin
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 06:40:22 PM by folderol » Logged

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: