Kara-Moon Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:57:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: O Danny Boy (An Original Arrangement)  (Read 4971 times)
SLD Music

« on: May 11, 2013, 01:37:59 PM »

Hello all.

For those interested here is my latest choral project.  There's a reason I only do a couple of these a year...

This my own arrangement and recording of "O Danny Boy". Currently working on a video for it. Here are some details:

It was made in Cubase 6.5 using a Sure SM27 Mic and a Steinberg MR816CSX Interface.
The arrangement was composed in Sibelius
I performed all the vocals.
I compressed the vocals on the way in via the MR816. No other compression was used other than some bus compression in the mastering phase.
The song is performed a cappella.
Other plugins were minimal, only using Fabfilter's Pro-Q and Pro-DS, and Native Instruments Reflektor for reverb (Fabfilter Pro-L, and Native Instruments Solid Bus Comp were used for mastering)
At its "fullest" sections, there are 24 independent vocal tracks plus a soloist (no copying, each track is a unique recording).
Syncing was accomplished with a conducting video that I made prior to recording.

See Attached for the MP3.

Also, for those who want to go further, I made a 30-ish minute podcast covering some of the production aspects and the evolution of my production process when it comes to these types of projects.  I use examples from this project as well as past projects to illustrate my points.  The podcast also includes 3 other alternate endings that I wrote and considered using.  That can be found here:

http://soundcloud.com/sld-music/sld-music-podcast-2-making-o

* Danny Boy MASTER 5 Alt End 4.mp3 (6689.78 KB - downloaded 258 times.)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 02:16:48 AM by SLD Music » Logged
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 07:29:36 PM »

This is without a doubt the best I've heard from you yet. A truly staggering arrangement and performance Afro

It's a delight to hear work like this, such a contrast against mainstream 'wallpaper' sounds.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 09:35:06 PM »

Absolutely wonderful work, Scott.
As expected, the vocal work is exceptional and the recording and production are faultless.

Bet you are looking forward to the 'live tour'  Evil

Wink
James.

SLD Music

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 02:15:39 AM »

Thank you both very much.  I look at my recordings of these not so much as stand alone end-all, be-all things, but more as demos that I might use in hopes of getting one of my pieces performed by a real choir.  I have no doubt that one day it will happen.  I've got a long term plan... slow and steady wins the race.

Meanwhile, I really am trying to get better every time I do this.  Glad it seems to be working.  Thanks again for listening and the comments.  These things take a lot of prep work and planning.
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 05:20:57 AM »

Wow....this level of vocal talent is what made bands like the Beach Boys,Bee Gees & the like,so distinctive and special....utterly stunning! I wish I had your discipline for vocal preparation,practice & such....but then...many years ago,I used to sing karaoke 3 nights a week till closing time for close to a year & well...I never sounded half this good.

A 5 star job as always Scott...extremely impressive!

-Thom

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 06:37:45 PM »

This is without a doubt the best I've heard from you yet. A truly staggering arrangement and performance Afro

It's a delight to hear work like this, such a contrast against mainstream 'wallpaper' sounds.

A BIG +1

All I can add is you have one fantastic voice wOO  and your mixing skills are second to none

The older I get the better I was!
Azell

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 04:10:39 PM »

Magnifique  wOO

Kara pour toujours
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: