Kara-Moon Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:29:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: More Issues With Cubase  (Read 5160 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: July 29, 2013, 08:57:09 PM »

Ummm...er...I guess I made a grave mistake,when I asked Steinberg if I could still utilize Cubase AI5(even though I sold my Yamaha MOX6)...because here's the problem;

Although,they were willing to issue me a free e-License for the permanent activation of my Cubase AI5..well...I told them about my tech issues with it,but they said that they could only help me with it after they charge me $40 per hour,for tech support....WHAT?! Roll Eyes

The way I see it,is that when I PURCHASED my MOX6,it came with a copy of Cubase AI5..so therefore,I PAID for my copy of Cubase.The fact of the matter is,that anyone WHO DOES NOT have the paid DVD ROM copy of Cubase AI5,cannot download any updates for this version(nor can anyone download a free copy of any version)-which is fair,but I do have a paid copy of Cubase.

If I had asked for a free download of Cubase,then I can understand them charging for tech support-but of course,this is not the case with my situation.

All this leads me to wonder...that if I were to purchase an upgrade to Cubase 7,would I still be charged $40 an hour?Propellerhead and Presonus tech support are absolutely free,so I don't understand any of this.

@Marc,

About the "feedback loop" thing,well....I installed a drum module VST and upon depressing a key to listen to a kick drum,I immediately triggered a crash cymbal sound and it's in a continuous loop(so I think that rules out any sort of feedback issue),yes?

What are you're thoughts?

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 01:57:22 AM »

Actually - for support I would check the forums first. In my experience user forums are always much more useful than tech support.

Considering the feedback - the issue you mention seems to be totally different and more of a midi feedback. If I were you I'd disconnect the audio interface and try and run Cubase with the internal system (using ASIO4ALL if you want low latency audio with the internal audio system) to see if the problem persists.

Cheers,

Marc

Also known as Marc JXP
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 02:38:03 AM »

Marc,

Oddly & interestingly enough...I had sent out multiple tech support requests,addressing different issues & I did get further support...free of charge Grin ...(however though,you are right,because the advice I got was very rudimentary...so I think I will check out the forums.

I was thinking that my Presonus interface,was not compatible & they may be the problem...but as for testing this theory..well...it's out of the question,because I have my Propellerhead and Presonus S1 DAWS on the same PC as Cubase & I am not about to muck up everything in an effort to accommodate some ridiculous incompatibility issue with Cubase.
I went through enough grief with my Acoustica Mixcraft 6 DAW and after all of the tedious work in an effort to get that running smoothly-in the end,I just ended up uninstalling it altogether.

What I would have preferred to do,is to put Cubase AI5 on my other PC,but the e-Licensing is a terrible bother & well...the whole reason I fired up my old Cubase DAW back up,was to try & run some of the TubeOhm's synths that weren't working in my Presonus DAW and as it turns out,the very same TubeOhm synths that don't appear in my Presonus S1,don't appear in Cubase either.

Bottom line,is that it seems that the software designer of TubeOhm,needs to update some of his older synths & bring them up to speed and then I won't have any issues with any of his products.

I was really looking forward to taking advantage of Cubase's video capabilities,but actually...I don't think I am going to bother with Cubase AI5 any longer.

At some point in the future though,I may consider buying Steinberg's Cubase Elements 7(which is only $99) and then I would have the video option that I want and hopefully,no technical glitches.

Thanks a mint for your advice,much appreciated. Cool

-Thom
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 02:39:59 AM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 01:44:08 PM »

Thom, I was looking at some of the TubeOhm’s synths and found out that some are 32 bit only.  Could that be your problem with them?  Many 32 bit VSTis will not run on a 64 bit system.  Some will run with a wrapper like jBridge, http://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/ and in fact this is mentioned on TubeOhm’s page.

Just a thought.  I wish I could help more but I do not own Cubebase.  I only have one DAW and I stick with it.

Good luck

The older I get the better I was!
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 04:13:34 PM »

Thom, I was looking at some of the TubeOhm’s synths and found out that some are 32 bit only.  Could that be your problem with them?  Many 32 bit VSTis will not run on a 64 bit system.  Some will run with a wrapper like jBridge, http://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/ and in fact this is mentioned on TubeOhm’s page.

Just a thought.  I wish I could help more but I do not own Cubebase.  I only have one DAW and I stick with it.

Good luck

I wish it were that simple Mario,but bit depth is the very first thing I observe,when shopping around for VST's.Besides which,I am running both 32 & 64 bit versions of my Presonus S1.
As for my Cubase AI5,it is 32 bit,but only a LE version of Cubase 5 & it's a very old version...which may or may not be contributing to my issues.

The thing about TubeOhm..well...it's a small software company & he's running a very small crew & he,or(they),do not have a lot of time or resources to keep all of their synths up to date.
He has directed most of his time & resources in cultivating his most popular synths,so the older ones that don't work in my DAW's are mainly attributed to them being out of date...meaning that the programming behind them is below par.

I managed to get a couple of his synths working by launching my Presonus S1 DAW through the Administrator path,but ultimately,this software designer needs to get his older synths up to current specs.

At this particular juncture(that is for my video support needs),I think I will go for the Cakewalk Sonar X2 Essential(standard) DAW,because it has both 32 & 64 bit versions,video import/export and none of the extra junk I don't need...for just $99...amazing!

I wish it had occurred to me gor for Cakewalk,rather than me wasting $75 on Acoustica Mixcraft.. Roll Eyes...oh well...live & learn.

Thanks for trying to help though.

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 09:35:35 PM »

Watching the bit depth is a very good thing Thom.  IMHO all 32 bit VST and VSTis will either be converted to 64 bit or be eliminated.

As you know I am familiar with Sonar.  I have Sonar X2a Pro but from what I can gather X2 Essentials is just a stripped down version.  That is the core DAW is identical but what you don’t get with Essentials are the extras like VSTis, pitch correction and such. So if you get it and need help don’t hesitate to contact me.

The older I get the better I was!
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 10:42:04 PM »

Watching the bit depth is a very good thing Thom.  IMHO all 32 bit VST and VSTis will either be converted to 64 bit or be eliminated.

As you know I am familiar with Sonar.  I have Sonar X2a Pro but from what I can gather X2 Essentials is just a stripped down version.  That is the core DAW is identical but what you don’t get with Essentials are the extras like VSTis, pitch correction and such. So if you get it and need help don’t hesitate to contact me.

As far as I'm concerned,watching bit depth is an absolutely necessity,because I don't want to be bothered with J-Bridge(especially since I don't mind having 2 different bit versions of the same DAW installed)...I mean..if I can make things more convenient for myself,I will.

As for most or all of 32 bit versions being eliminated eventually...well...I don't know about that...meaning that smaller software companies tend to go with 32 bit versions(as I imagine it's cheaper,easier to program..etc.,.) and if a particular synth program that's just starting out that has to be field tested to see if it's marketable,then based on the level of user feedback...a 64 bit is then brought into production.
There's also a lot of good freeware out there and most of it is 32 bit & it'll just keep on coming,because when a old program or a prototype of an old program is made virtually obsolete by a newer version,then yet another freeware synth hits the free market.

With regard to Sonar X2 Essentials in particular,I made certain I knew exactly what I was buying before I placed an order...because I wanted a very capable DAW,in terms of video support,bit depth options & such,rather than worrying about a bunch of included VST's that I may never use.
It's really incredible what Cakewalk offers at this price point...because no one even comes close to Sonar X2 E....in my opinion.

If I run into a brick wall at some point,I'll drop you a line for sure-thanks!  Cool
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 10:46:18 PM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: