Kara-Moon Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:06:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: KVR August  (Read 12111 times)
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« on: August 20, 2013, 09:09:21 AM »

Well, I've taken the opposite approach to Will. He started off with a short version, for KVR, then extended it for here.
I started off this project, with lyrics from my old pal Joel Sattler, and it turned into a 7 minute song so I've cut a lot of it out for KVR.
This is the 'short' version in the style of Tom Waits.

Wink
James

* 1308_offthewall_ThankGodGodDamnIt.mp3 (4220 KB - downloaded 379 times.)

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »

And here is the long version, suitably compressed to fit the K-M limit.

It's not finished yet. Probably end off adding some electric guitar. Not sure as yet.
For a change, here, I play keys (which I don't do enough of), acoustic fretless bass and drums, on the Yamaha DD55. Great fun getting the sticks out again. It's been a long time   Cool

Wink
James

* ThankGodGodDamnIt_1.mp3 (6764.08 KB - downloaded 279 times.)

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 10:19:06 PM »

Simple and schweet!  Kiss
...has a nice Tom Waits vibe, executed with abandon and panache... Afro

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 09:21:07 PM »

I must confess I don't know Tom Waits at all so I guess I'll have to educate myself.

This track comes over to me as very heavy and depressing (which probably suits the times). Most of your work has a very strong story line, which this one seems to lack, so I'm afraid the jury is out at the moment. I'll listen again before voting time on the contest (haven't listened to any of the others yet) so maybe I'll form an opinion then.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 08:07:36 PM »

This is not our usual James but I really like it.  I think your music has matched Joel’s lyrics perfectly!

I think you are the right track about the guitar.  I would add a few highly distorted riffs in the chorus, but then that is me and you may have something better to add.

This is very good James!

The older I get the better I was!
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 09:23:25 PM »

Sir James,

Unlike Will's feeling towards the theme of this song,I don't really find it all that depressing and in fact,it really tickles my funny bone!
 Cheesy

I can't fully appreciate the theme though,because I can't make out all of the lyrics.

Although I do applaud your raw ambition in playing all of your own instruments,the timing errors are a bit of a damper & it makes me cringe actually...which is why I don't ever try this type of endeavour myself.

In all of my YouTube viewings,I have only seen two musicians who could actually play all of the parts & bring it all together into a rhythmically cohesive manner.

I know how you feel about keeping it all organic,so I would not presume to ask you to collaborate with me for the purpose of a KVR submission...but just for fun,I would love to run your tracks through my Reason 7 host,now that I have an audio quantizing function to tinker with.

I really think this song is quite a gem & I would love to shape it all into a form that would be radio-ready.

It's been a long while since I collaborated with anyone & I'd really like to sink my claws into this one...if you'd be receptive to it.

-Thom [/b]

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 09:34:29 PM »

Thanks for listening, guys, and for the comments.
It's strange how this one fitted together. I was working on the full song, in that Tom Waits style, when the KVR theme was announced so just had to mess with it to make it fit.
Thom. If you want to mess with the full version I'll send you the files tomorrow. I'll put them on Dropbox and send you a link. Could be fun.
As it happens a lot of the 'loose' timing is on purpose as this IS the way that TW used to work in the early days. Very, very loose  Roll Eyes

Wink
James

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 09:39:56 PM »

As it happens I been playing those drums again today on another song, seeing as I had the kit out and set up.

Play the song from here :
http://www.kompoz.com/compose-collaborate/home.track.project?trackId=274896&projectId=41145

It's all me, with someone else's lyrics, apart from the lovely backing vocals. Not sure yet whether I'm keeping the drums as the song is great without but this was just a test.

Wink
James
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 11:49:18 AM by offthewall » Logged

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 10:07:09 AM »

Thom,
As promised, find all tracks and lyrics here:

100 bpm with a sync tone to line them up.
Let me know when you have them and I'll delete the link.
Have fun, mate    Grin

Wink
James
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 08:05:39 PM by offthewall » Logged

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 04:22:22 PM »

Download complete James...thanks friend! Cool

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 11:42:28 PM »

In the spirit of being organic and since there was no other way to tie it all together anyway,the only quantizing I did,was bits and pieces of James's bass track.
James's drum & keyboard tracks were impossible for me to tighten up(as they were),so I had to replace those with my own tracks...but were performed in real time.
I then EQ'd James's vocal track,in an effort to articulate the words better.

I hope you like it,Mr.Fraser.

https://soundcloud.com/fredgarvin91/thank-god-goddamnit-elwood-mix

-Thom

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 07:21:49 AM »

Interesting.
I want to listen in more detail but SC won't let me download it. All I get is play, no download link anywhere  Angry

Wink
James

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 03:25:05 PM »

Interesting.
I want to listen in more detail but SC won't let me download it. All I get is play, no download link anywhere  Angry

Wink
James

I thought that since this song was set to a "public" setting,it would be downloadable by default...sorry about that.I've enabled the download...so it should be ready to go. Cool

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 03:30:57 PM »

Lips Sealed
No ..... still can't find any download link.

J.

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 03:41:28 PM »

Lips Sealed
No ..... still can't find any download link.

J.

James,it's right in front of your face...just look below the graphical display of the song at the top of the screen and just below that,there's a series of buttons and to your right,there is an icon labeled "download".

Use my screenshot for a reference;

* SoundCloud Schematic.PNG (48.94 KB, 721x406 - viewed 534 times.)

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: