Kara-Moon Forum
April 18, 2024, 06:42:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Misadventure In Software  (Read 6639 times)
propellerhead1969

« on: April 11, 2014, 12:12:22 AM »

I want preface my story by saying that,due to recent mishaps with my 2 other PC's,I was thrust into a situation where I had to replace my Sony Vegas Movie Studio(video editing program),as my current PC would not read the disc that this program is on.
As it had turned out,this was a good thing,because Sony's program ran slowly and had issues with file formats...so I was looking forward to replacing it anyhow.

Recently,I downloaded Cyberlink's PowerDirector 12 Ultra and it's one of the best software purchases I have ever made,as it's versatile,efficient,feature-packed and very reasonably priced....which inadvertently lead me to my next problem....which is that my current computer(despite it being the most expensive PC I have ever purchased),did not include a DVD burning program(for data discs & the like)  and since I have been downloading quite a bit of video content lately,I really needed to store my surplus footage onto data discs,because USB drives are just too damn expensive in comparison.

That being said,I went on a quest to find a free DVD burning program,but they were either limited to only a free trial basis,or they were loaded with malware.I then concluded that making a monetary investment in a burning program,would be the way to go.
Roxio software has always been a train-wreck,but...having previous experience with former versions of Nero(that was included with a PC purchase),always proved to  be useful software....that is,until now.

About an hour ago,I had just downloaded the latest version of Nero,which is the Nero Burning ROM 2014 edition.It was the cheapest Nero burning program I could find as a download($37)...so I went for it.Despite several attempts,to import my first MPEG video into a compliation list within the program,I repeatedly received an error message that read; "Unexpected File Format"....WTF?
Just to emphasize how ridiculous this problem is,I have NEVER had an issue with ANY DVD burning program that I have EVER had(that was included with my PC purchases) and yet,here I shelled out $37 for a DVD burning program that is completely useless!!!!!!!
I then visited Nero's website and their community forum and as it turns out,several other people had the same problem and with no resolution to it!!Sometimes I think that computer software is the worst invention,ever to come into the retail market,because no matter how defective and useless software is,most of the time,the software companies win...with their no refund policies!

I have however,contacted Nero's email support & I'm awaiting a reply,but it really burns my hide,that Nero has the stones to charge $1.29 per minute,for phone support!!
 Angry I read on the forum,that one person was able to receive a refund via their credit card...but before I wage war against Nero,I must first wait to hear from them.
propellerhead1969

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 06:20:08 PM »

An update...to my surprise,Nero e-mail tech support seems eager to help & I suppose they are trying to sort out my issue as I write this...but honestly,I don't understand the complication of it all.The folks on the forum are trying to be helpful as well...but to no avail as of yet.

This afternoon,I found an old program that was uninstalled my my PC that I was completely unaware of.It's called Ashampoo Burning Studio(free edition) and it works just fine...wish I had discovered this earlier!  Roll Eyes

Still hoping to resolve the Nero situation,as I don't want that $37 to be a complete waste.
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 06:29:52 PM »

Try this one while you're at it, Pilgrim...
http://www.imgburn.com/

The other...
http://infrarecorder.org/

propellerhead1969

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 07:11:29 PM »

Try this one while you're at it, Pilgrim...
http://www.imgburn.com/

The other...
http://infrarecorder.org/

Thanks friend...I'll keep these options in mind,should the need ever arise.I actually saw these two programs on CNET.com...but any programs through this website always and inevitably,end up being infected with adware.
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 03:31:59 PM »

All I can offer is comiserations - not a lot of help really Roll Eyes

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
propellerhead1969

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 10:01:56 PM »

All I can offer is comiserations - not a lot of help really Roll Eyes

Commiserations appreciated friend. Smiley The important thing is,I now have a means of compiling my surplus video library and perhaps there's still a chance I may get a refund on my purchase of Nero(depending on the final outcome).
If not...buying software always has a 50/50 chance of being a crap-shoot,any-hoot.
propellerhead1969

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 02:42:27 AM »

Just wanted to be fair to the software company behind the Nero software,by stating that the issues I encountered with this software,is purely due to operator error and that customer support has been great.
As it turned out,Nero Burning Rom is radically more advanced(in terms of features)than the previous versions that were included with my prior PC purchases and it's this new layout that really threw me for a loop.
What's really interesting about this new program,is that they have what is called a SecurDisc burn option,that is designed to maintain the integrity of the data on the disc that supposedly even withstands scratches.
Perhaps I could have been gotten by just fine with my free version of Ashampoo,but it's nice to have the assurance of added security & durability,with my data discs. Smiley
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 09:33:45 PM »

Sounds a useful idea!

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 06:42:15 PM »

What's that smell...? Shocked

Oh yeah - SUCCESS!!! wOO

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: