Kara-Moon Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:57:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A walk in the woods - Updated  (Read 5827 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« on: April 13, 2014, 09:44:17 PM »

A few years ago, purely by chance, I discovered a hidden path through quite a sizeable patch of native English woodland. Although the path itself is well trodden I've never seen anyone else there, and both ends are very obscure. The path is about 5 miles long and has two absolutely straight sections that look like they might have been originally rides of some country estate.

One end is alongside a wide marked footpath, and people just walk straight past it. It does a dog-leg round some bushes and looks just like a narrow uninteresting patch of bare ground - that's if you notice it at all! This is about a mile along the formal path from the nearesrt car park.

The other end forms a T to paving around some farm buildings, so is invisble from the country road that the farm is on.

Today, I remembered to take a camera with me  Roll Eyes

I was also reminded of a very short tune I composed a long time ago, called 'A Forest Cathedral', so when I got home I had a listen to it... and was somewhat disapointed. So, the only thing to do was to give it a fresh coat of pixie dust  Grin

So here we go with a photo of the secret path, the original tune, and how it sounds now.

* Woods.jpg (509.58 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 661 times.)
* A_Forest_Cathedral_original.mp3 (2088.06 KB - downloaded 260 times.)
* A_Forest_Cathedral_new.mp3 (2659.37 KB - downloaded 264 times.)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 05:49:57 PM by folderol » Logged

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 01:51:14 AM »

Just listening to the "new" version. Very lovely. Thanks.

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
propellerhead1969

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 03:29:27 AM »

An exquisite stretch of woods! Cool Somewhat reminiscent of a scene from Lord Of The Rings and it made me think of what Peter Jackson had said about filming in England...which was,that it couldn't be done,as it was too urbanized and that there was no way to capture that old world feel...which was why it was all filmed in New Zealand.
In your photo though,it appears that there are still some mystical spots in England to revel in. Smiley

I actually like the original version better(except for the vocal sound,as it was too choppy for my pallet).The choir sound in the new version though,is much better.Overall...I would say that the composition & mood of the tune is a lovely fit for the photo.
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 06:48:41 PM »

Agreed - both versions have their charm. Cool
And that patch of forest is world-class, indeed!

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 06:44:30 PM »

Thanks guys. I guess I'll have to keep both Cheesy

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 05:49:41 PM »

Well, I only went and had another go at this didn't I Roll Eyes
The second verse has quite a different lead instrument, better chrod structure and smoother bass.
The last verse has a fuller strings section, slightly better detail in the chimes,  and both 'thicker' and deeper bass.

Hope you like the changes.

* A_Forest_Cathedral.mp3 (2474.25 KB - downloaded 242 times.)

- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 06:25:07 PM »

Big improvements! Lush - pensive - exquisitely textured.

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 06:58:35 PM »

Thanks Oren  Grin

- Will
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: