Kara-Moon Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:59:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BitWig sequencer has launched  (Read 5939 times)
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« on: March 26, 2014, 01:01:36 PM »

FYI – BitWig is now available: http://www.bitwig.com/en/home/recent-news.html

Thom was interested in this and those running Linux may also be interested.

The older I get the better I was!
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 06:52:21 PM »

There's been quite a bit of discussion about this on the SOS forums and on the Linux audio list. It is encouraging that that a group of people are targeting all three major platforms at the same time. I'll be keeping a close watch on in, although I'm rather heavily involved in other stuff at the moment.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 07:28:05 PM »

Looks very promising. Pricetag... not to cheap. But it does run on Linux.

The first Linux compatibe sequencer capable to rival with the big ones?

I'll keep an eye on this one  Wink

Moon
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 07:45:49 PM »

Do have a look at this... http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=17128

You'll recognize some features from Live. Not a surprise if you consider that ex-Live-developpers worked on this. Also, it's innovating. It has some realy cool feature not seen in previous softwares. And... yes... it will run on Linux.

Boy, these guys did a great work!

Moon

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 08:25:50 AM »

There are a lot of very interesting and highly original ideas in there. Unfortunately, I thought the guy was clearly not used to being interviewed. He tended to repeat himself and didn't give a very clear picture of BitWig's capabilities.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
propellerhead1969

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 04:28:30 PM »

I was not in the least,prepared for the launch of Bitwig...as recent events have precluded me of even considering purchasing another DAW.As it is now,I have 2 DAW's on a single computer and I don't want to clutter it up with yet another large software program.
Life has really interfered with my musical pursuits and before I even think about eventually buying Bitwig,I must first purchase a new PC.After much deliberation,I resolved to stick with Windows,as this platform still reigns supreme(if for no other reason,the price wins me over).
Macs are yet another learning curve I don't want & of course,the expense of one,is clearly beyond my budget and always will be.As for Linux,upon doing some research on this platform,I realized that essentially,I have to be a computer programmer,just to keep Linux's programs up to date and running smoothly and clearly,I do not possess neither the intellect,nor the temperament and patience to wrestle with Linux's complicated structure.
Additionally,the more I thought about it....the more ridiculous the concept of Bitwig running on a Linux(for me personally),which is that if I was content just using Bitwig's included VST's,that would be fine...but since I have scores of VST's that would be rendered utterly useless,it would be a monumentally wasteful investment.

Though I cannot afford Bitwig at the moment,I do think it's price tag is quite a bargain,because not only is Bitwig no more expensive than any other full featured DAW,it also is equipped with some ground-breaking features that I thought I would never see in a DAW.

I would like to try out the demo,just to see what the included VST's are like(but I can already see that Bitwig's soundset is far superior to that of my Presonus Studio One DAW) and S1 is the same price as Bitwig.
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 07:08:16 AM »

As for Linux,upon doing some research on this platform,I realized that essentially,I have to be a computer programmer,just to keep Linux's programs up to date and running smoothly and clearly,...

Not anymore  Wink Ubuntu for example updates automaticaly. Not that I mean that this makes Linux the better OS for a DAW though. But it is an alternative.

About BitWig: if you don't own Live yet and you're interested in a DAW to use both on stage and in the studio or just like the workflow of these two, than you defenitly need to check out BitWig.

Als, this is a good thing: seeing new features in BitWig will wake up the guys at Ableton. So hopefully we'll see some new features in Live too.

Moon

propellerhead1969

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 03:13:45 PM »

As for Linux,upon doing some research on this platform,I realized that essentially,I have to be a computer programmer,just to keep Linux's programs up to date and running smoothly and clearly,...

Not anymore  Wink Ubuntu for example updates automaticaly. Not that I mean that this makes Linux the better OS for a DAW though. But it is an alternative.

About BitWig: if you don't own Live yet and you're interested in a DAW to use both on stage and in the studio or just like the workflow of these two, than you defenitly need to check out BitWig.

Als, this is a good thing: seeing new features in BitWig will wake up the guys at Ableton. So hopefully we'll see some new features in Live too.

Moon

Interesting tidbit of information,but Linux still doesn't have nearly the same level of support as Windows and obviously,VST support is the main issue.As for Ableton,I never had any interest in it,since it is a loop-based sequencer only.
It's designed for DJ's and the developers at Ableton seem comfortable just catering to this niche in the market and nothing more.There's so many DAW's to choose from,so Ableton was never a consideration for me.
I'm not interested in stage and haven't been for many years.As I had mentioned in my article in the software section a few months ago,I wanted Bitwig for it's stability,crash protection,versatility and overall innovative functionality(which includes...unlike Ableton,a full sequencer).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: