Kara-Moon Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:30:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ... and another thing  (Read 9022 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« on: May 08, 2014, 06:49:36 PM »

The MOD.

I saw and heard this at the Linux Audio Conference.

It's primarily (but not exclusively) aimed at guitarists, and has to be just about the ultimate in configurable stomp boxes. It is extremely ruggedly built with a nicely arranged steel bar across the top that serves as a handle, footrest and protects the control knobs when you're jumping on one of the four industrial grade foot switches. Controls are 'endless' encoders, so no noisy pots to worry about, and there are also four LCD status displays. Although not fully waterproof, the case has been designed to be beer spill-proof.

Open source effects modules can be loaded and configured from just about any tablet/laptop/computer, shared with other users and fresh ones fetched by pointing your browser to the MOD website. People that want to get more involved can create their own modules. Internally there is a computer running a highly optimised Linux audio program.

Unusually for such a project, there is an excellent demo vid on their website here

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 11:00:49 PM »

This is good!

In my little computer-based home studio, and in live performance, I use a multi-effects processor to excellent advantage.
                                      _______________________________________________________________________________________________

All my processors are Digitech, principally because some of the Digitech software development takes place here in Victoria BC. Also, the hardware is first-rate - tough, full-featured, and thoughtfully organized. I have been using Digitech units such as these since 1996.

http://ftp://ftp.digitech.com/pub/PDFs/discontinued/Manuals/rp12.pdf

http://digitech.com/en/products/rp150

http://digitech.com/en/products/rp255

The two more recent models have USB-out to allow integration with my computer audio recording software. For the MOD Quadra to be useful to me, this feature needs to be incorporated.
                                          _____________________________________________________________________________________________

Also, the MOD Quadra sells for $1200.00 Canadian.

The RP255, the most capable of my three processors, sells for $170.00 Canadian dollars.

Even the most costly of the Digitech line (a first-rate professional rig in every way) the RP500 - http://digitech.com/en/products/rp500 - retails for $330.00  Canadian. This is for a unit built by well-paid professionals in Salt Lake City, Utah.
                                        ______________________________________________________________________________________________

Now I will spend extra dollars on an item to support a worthy cause, but at nearly four times the price (and minus a feature that I use constantly), I will have to ease off on this opportunity until we see built-in USB connectivity, and until I can be sure the hardware is worth the extra pesos.

MOD

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 02:49:05 PM »

Hello Oren,

Thanks for you reply!
Today you can used the MOD with Digitech, Line 6, Boss and any other sound processor. MOD was created to add and not to divide.
We believe that any musician should do what makes him happy, using the device he wants. We created MOD to pursuit this idea. MOD was created so musicians can use the effects from about anyone, any developer or any company that releases plug-ins in the LV2 extension.
MOD is not only a digital multi-effect pedalboard! It’s a computer, optimized for sound processing. It means that it runs an Operational System, optimized by us, so we can have much more than only sound effects. We will have sound recorders, plug-ins for collective creations, especific plug-ins for schools to address classes directly to their students, live streaming, sample sharing and much, much more!
Besides that, MOD was planned to support the whole developers community, such as an app store. If a developer wants to sell his plug-in, that’s ok, he should be paid for that!
MOD does not close its system, it opens it! We want as many developers as we can have creating unprecedent plug-ins! We also want the musicians to be able to use sound effects that they never thought about before.
We, different from the most companies out there, do not believe in the Planned obsolescence. Our concept is an ever-evolving idea.
About the price. Yes, we know it’s expensive. Only 30 pieces were produced for the first launch and at that scale prices rise sharply. On top of it, the production was set up in Brazil and that makes everything even more expensive.
There is a new model on the oven that shall be produced by crowdfunding and thus will have a much more accessible price. The USB support you argued about is included on the this new unit development, both for audio and network.
Hope you can try MOD some day. If you have any question or any other good ideas, let us know!
Write us at: contato@portalmod.com
Regards,
Paulo
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 02:51:48 PM by MOD » Logged
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 09:48:27 PM »

Welcome MOD !!!

As a long-time user of Linux operating systems and LV2 plugins (in Audacity and Ardour), I welcome the opportunity to support audio-processing hardware that incorporates open-source software.

At this point, I should add that I hope the designers are not tempted to lower the hardware quality in order to offer the unit at a more competitive price.
To be fair, Digitech's most expensive processor/pre-amp - the GSP1101 - http://digitech.com/en/products/gsp1101 - retails for about $600.00 Canadian. So at $1200.00 the MOD Quadra is really only twice the price, not four times the price, as I originally stated.

When a MOD processor with USB becomes available (hopefully, with all the features already offered in the MOD Quadra), I'll buy one, even if the price remains high.
The principal reason I feel I can justify the steep price-tag, is that this processor will take the place of a lot of expensive stomp-boxes, guitar amps, microphones and rack effects - all in one tough little metal box.

A bargain, when you think about it... Grin

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 10:28:20 PM »

... and here is how it looks on facebook ...

* MOD Quadra FB Screenshot.jpg (53.61 KB, 516x697 - viewed 674 times.)

MOD

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 01:38:14 PM »

Hi Oren,

Don't worry about the hardware. It will get better then the MOD Quadra.
We designed our soundboard and the motherboard following the audiophile concepts.
The main goal for the MOD Duo is to have the best sound a digital pedalboard can have.
Follow us on Facebook or add your email at our mailing list. We will inform about the news.
Thanks once more.
Paulo
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 01:45:06 PM by MOD » Logged
MOD

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 10:26:53 PM »

ORen,

We are right now planning the crowd funding campaign, but we are struggling because our whole social network is in Brazil. We are looking for good foruns and communities in UK, France, Germany, EUA, Canada to help us with feedbacks about the project.

Can you show me some nice forum threads about music, sound effects, stomp boxe or technology, so the users could help us with some ideas we had about the new MOD?

Regards,

Paulo

P.S. I added you on FB to ask about it. If you know some community that could help us here with some ideas about the MOD.
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 06:58:49 PM »

Sim, sem dúvida! Dê-me alguns dias ... 

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 10:18:19 PM »

Gah! I had to use Google Translate on that Roll Eyes

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
MOD

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 04:56:56 PM »

Obrigado Oren!!!!
MOD

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 04:18:05 PM »

Hello everyone!
We are starting our pre campaign for launching the MOD Duo in the Kickstarter.com

Check our website and register your email to be the first to know about it and to get a special earlybird price.

stepontothefuture.com

Thanks,

Paulo
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 05:23:58 PM »

Check our website and register your email to be the first to know about it and to get a special earlybird price.
stepontothefuture.com

Yes! I'm already registered... Afro

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: