Kara-Moon Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:15:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Elwood Has Entered Th Building...Again!  (Read 29835 times)
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« on: June 14, 2014, 06:28:15 AM »

I'm back in business......with a vengeance!  Evil A few days ago,I had sought the services of PCesupport...which provides online virus removal via remote access to your computer...but as it turned out,everything that this technician tried to fix my PC,was precisely every method I had tried myself...so the whole deal was a complete bust.The good news with that though,is they only charge you the $89 if they successfully remove the infection,so I paid nothing.
Don't know if my old music computer is still salvageable via a new OS,so I decided to take out a loan to not only buy a new computer,but mainly to consolidate all of my credit debt into a single payment plan,with a single interest rate charge.
Today,I had the immense pleasure of chatting with a very knowledgeable salesman at my local PC Richards computer store and he not only turned me onto a more powerful computer,that was actually cheaper than my old one...but also turned me on to an anti-virus program called Total Defense Unlimited.
It's anti-virus,anti-spyware,anti-spam,anti-phishing,download protection,social network protection and 25GB of online backup.It was $80...but the rebate is for $80(provided that you print out the rebate form)...but I don't currently have a printer.
 Roll Eyes
Still though,I think the $80 was a good investment(considering all of the hassles and expenses that I've been subjected to).I also made it a point to set my browsing preferences with a strict filtering setting...so no more girly pictures for me to peruse any more!  Tongue Grin

I was also offered an in-store 12 month,interest free payment plan on the computer...so I only put down $200,so I don't have to sweat being able to pay it off within that time frame.I now have Windows 8.1,which has a very intuitive and efficient layout and I love it!
I also now have the pleasure of Comcast Internet,which is lightening fast and only $3 more a month than my DSL! I'm not all that thrilled about going through the arduous task of re-loading all of my music software,but at least now,I feel safe enough to where I am comfortable with just this single computer for both internet and music use....at least for the time being.[B/]
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 01:05:34 PM »

Really pleased to hear you got this sorted and look forward to seeing you more active on here again Grin

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 01:28:42 PM »

That's great news Thom!

Do you have someone near you with a printer, a friend, library etc?
If not send me the URL and your address and I'll print it out and send it to you.

Now my advice is to keep your anti program up to date every day and to backup, backup, backup!  You can use the backup program that came with your OS to backup to the cloud but I will strongly suggest that you immediately get an external hard drive and back up to it right after you install your music software.  After it's backed up disconnect the HD and place it in a safe place.  That way it can not get infected.  Of course you may want to update the backup occasionally.  I don't trust cloud storage as no matter what they say it can get infected.  I say that as on three separate occasions my bank and retirement accounts got infected and they were supposedly infection proof!  Fortunately I did not loose anything. Just saying.

The older I get the better I was!
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 02:09:58 PM »

Thanks for the warm welcome back,Will! Smiley

Mario...I was thinking about my printing options & I've used the Staples store for printing before...so that's probably my best bet.

As for the security software,it is of course,a paid version...so updating is automatic....but I will call their 800 # to confirm this.When I plug in a USB stick,a message pops up to ask me if I want to scan it,which is great.
As for my Propellerhead license key USB stick(which I was really concerned about),I did not get the pop up message...but I manually scanned it & it was clean.I think I will buy an external HD...but not sure what size to get yet.
With regard to the cloud storage,I think I will call Total Defense and inquire about that issue.Thanks for the tips! Cool
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 03:45:36 PM »

Schweet! ...  Kiss ... 

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 01:56:21 AM »

With regard to the cloud storage,I think I will call Total Defense and inquire about that issue.Thanks for the tips! Cool

Don't trust their answer!  Of course they will say that they are secure, they all do.  My method that I described in my previous message is the only guaranteed way to secure your assets.

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 05:54:08 PM »

Listen to Mario, Thom.  Afro
Other than having way too much hair, this guy has it going on! A one terabyte external hard drive costs very little, and will back up your important data and software securely.

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 08:35:21 PM »

Other than having way too much hair,

Doing my best Curly impression "Hey I resemble that remark"!

elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 09:24:19 PM »

This is what I ordered....I hope I did right; http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=invoice&A=details&Q=&sku=980459&is=REG  It's listed as compatible for Windows 8...but I have Windows 8.1.  Undecided

The price was right and it was so well reviewed...so I jumped on it.
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 07:15:26 AM »

Looks good!

...always been a fan of Western Digital drives...

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 01:11:40 PM »

Yes Thom this will work with Win 8.1.  It should work with any computer that has USB 2 or 3 as USB external HDs will be plug and play.  The only computer OS compliance will be with the extra programs that come with the HD.  Things like automatic backups etc.  Personally I never install those programs and use Acronis.  You may either use the included Smartware programs or the Win 8.1 backup program, your choice.  Just be sure to make a start up disc as soon as you are finished installing your programs.

PS - I should add that this will work if you are trying to backup an internal HD of 1 terabyte or less.

elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 01:29:02 AM »

Wow....I never imagined that trying to retrieve a rebate could be so much work & so stressful.It's been an incredibly long day.As I had mentioned earlier in this thread,I planned to go to Staples to use their PC to fill out Total Defense's online form for print-out,so this morning,I embarked on my quest to do just that.
As it turned out,I was unable to complete the online form,due to the website rejecting my e-mail address(I suspected,that because I wasn't on my personal PC,the website detected a different ISP...which is why my e-mail was considered invalid.
This really sucked,because Staples makes you use a vending machine to obtain a card that you have to put money on(as they charge you .30 cents a minute to use their computers for internet access and printing...so I pissed away $3 and ended up buying a printer to get the job done.
I was eventually planning on buying a printer later on anyway,because I really miss having the ability to scan & upload photos and making CD album covers and considering that I got a Canon all-in-one printer for $50...it worked out okay.
The installation wasn't too tedious,but trying to sort out how to print images from the internet,was a certifiable nightmare...that took all day to figure out.I couldn't print directly from the website's print icon button,nor could I successfully print from my start menu on my PC.
After contacting Canon tech support,I was instructed to go to my Google Chrome control task bar,click on print and from the print preview page,click on print once again and then choose print dialog from the drop menu(but only after requesting a rebate form via e-mail,from Total Defense)!  Roll Eyes
To makes matters more frustrating,it was 5 to 10 weeks for my mail to be processed AND THEN....it was an additional 5 to 10 weeks for my rebate(which would be in the form of a prepaid debit card),to be processed as well!
HOWEVER....if I had $8 deducted from my $80 rebate card,they would expedite my mail processing to only 5 to 7 days from the time they received my rebate in the mail...but I would still have to wait 5 to 10 weeks for the damn rebate card,with only a $72 credit.
Since I didn't feel like waiting nearly 6 months to see my rebate,I opted for the expedited mail processing for the $8 fee. Tongue For all of the hassle,it almost not worth it...but in the end,the cost of my printer will have been paid for and then some.

As for backing up my files,I still have yet to locate all of the software I had purchased that I had saved on several USB flash drives and I probably have about a terabyte worth of various content to rummage through!  Embarrassed

When all is said and done...ultimately,it's wonderful to have internet access again in the comfort of my home and to make music again and the printer is a nice bonus...so it's all good...exhausting,but good!
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 01:12:48 AM »

You may either use the included Smartware programs or the Win 8.1 backup program, your choice.  Just be sure to make a start up disc as soon as you are finished installing your programs.

PS - I should add that this will work if you are trying to backup an internal HD of 1 terabyte or less.

Mario,

Can you be more specific on the Start Up Disc thing?Meaning...I'm a bit nervous about where to begin,as I was thinking that an external hard drive was all that I needed.
In the interim,I will do some research on this,because I'm afraid of screwing something up...like missing a step or two along the way.
I think I also need to get more familiar with Windows 8.1,before I begin such a task.

Is this tutorial correct? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEvoVcB2cXQ

-Thanks
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 01:18:48 AM by elwoodblues91 » Logged
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 01:33:30 PM »

Thom, I am not that familiar with Win 8.1 but that seems like a very convoluted way to do a start up or as it is also called a back up or as Windows now calls it a bootable-recovery-disc. The first answer here tells you how to do it much easier:
 http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-system/can-i-create-a-bootable-recovery-disk-in-windows-8/02ea7e33-7d6d-4e3b-bf9e-80561c83f3dd?page=1

elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 07:52:59 PM »

Thom, I am not that familiar with Win 8.1 but that seems like a very convoluted way to do a start up or as it is also called a back up or as Windows now calls it a bootable-recovery-disc. The first answer here tells you how to do it much easier:
 http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-system/can-i-create-a-bootable-recovery-disk-in-windows-8/02ea7e33-7d6d-4e3b-bf9e-80561c83f3dd?page=1

Apart from contacting the salesman at PC Richards who sold me this computer,I don't feel safe going through with this process(just based on this one link alone).
Maybe I'm being hysterical...but I can't help being nervous after what I went through with my other 2 PC's.Step 6 is a scary one; "The wizard will warn you that everything on the drive will be deleted as part of the formatting process."

That Microsoft community thread is making me bat-sh*t,because there's so many conflicting opinions,different methods,revisions,corrections,revisements etc.,..
I would call Microsoft,but the help that is free of charge,is only for tech issues,so any sort of tutorial instructions will cost me.
I think I need to talk to someone who knows Windows 8.1.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 08:15:09 PM by elwoodblues91 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: