Kara-Moon Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:06:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Elwood Has Entered Th Building...Again!  (Read 29832 times)
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 10:21:35 PM »

Thom, step 6 refers to a thumb drive or external drive.  It will format any drive that is going to be the bootable drive.  A bootable drive can have no other data on it.  If you make a bootable disc, CD or DVD-I don't know what Win 8.1 requires, you will not need to do that as they come formatted all ready.

If you are still a little afraid to try it take your computer to where you bought it and they could make you a bootable disc for a small fee, if any.

The older I get the better I was!
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 10:54:58 PM »

Mario,

I'm really interested in Acronis...but the basic or premium version?I was going to ask someone from the Acronis staff,but I am out of long distance time on my cell phone.
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 11:04:02 PM »

From what I've read on Acronis's website(if I understand it correctly)..with the premium version,I can not only create an image recovery,but also back up my entire PC just using my external HD?
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 11:48:52 PM »

I have been using Acronis for years now.  I just bought the Acronis True Image 2014 Family Pack as I have three computers here that I have to keep an eye on!  I am assuming that by basic you are referring to the True Image 2014.  You can make a bootable CD/DVD as well as back up your entire computer with this version.  Like I said I have been doing that for years now.  Here is the official Acronis info on bootable discs:
http://www.whatsabyte.com/P1/create_cd.htm

elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 11:50:00 PM »

I just bought Acronis Premium...I thought it would be a relatively simply program,but it's very intimidating!
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 11:52:01 PM »

By the way....I bought the premium,because it appears you can do a complete back up...just using an external HD...but still trying to get my head around this.....
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2014, 12:07:23 AM »

Wow...the more I look into the tutorials and start guide screens,the more my mind goes blank,as this is not for amateurs at all....it's a very deep program.
I find it annoying,that I paid $80 and that does not even buy me 5 minutes of free phone time(I just want to talk to a live person,so that I can get a foot hold on this program,because I am not sure were to start).
I really can't bare to f**k up my new computer!
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2014, 12:56:34 AM »

I created a bootable disc and I began looking at tutorials from 3rd party individuals...but I don't know if that's a good idea.The reason I am in such a mad rush to get this done,is that from my experiences,a Windows OS can crash at any time...randomly,for any reason and I need that piece of mind of being protected...as soon as possible.
I'll keep at it...but I wonder if I may need to wait until next month,when my cell is refreshed with new long distance minutes...I mean,I'd really rather not turn my studio upside down....by disconnecting everything and dragging my computer back to PC Richards to talk to my salesman and ask him to help me with software that I did not even buy at the store(I'd have to wait until the middle of next week anyway,just to get a ride to Bricktown,which is 20 minutes away from here).

I'm a bit more stressed out than usual,because in the process of upgrading my studio monitors,I ran into a snag....whereby I bought those 1/2 price speakers from Guitar Center...but the Tannoy monitors are noisy as hell,with a terrible electrical noise and get this...it's not a "defect" per say,as many people online in various forums...have been complaining of the same problem!
So.....3 hours after the monitors arrived in the mail today,I had packed them up to be shipped out...but I have no UPS store that's in walking distance from me....and to add to my frustration, I had to request some "free" UPS shipping labels from Guitar Center...but they're not actually free....because when GC receives my shipment,they will deduct the cost of the shipping from my refund for the speakers!  Angry

This prompted me to max out one of my credit cards,because I wanted to have a replacement upgrade now,rater than having to wait for Guitar Center to issue me my refund.
I've got some equipment I can sell for some extra coin and that will really come in handy,because I am getting dangerously close to maxing out my gear budget(as I am certainly not going to dip into my funds that I have reserved for paying off the bulk of my credit card debt!)
It's nice to keep busy....but I am drowning in activities....way too much multi-tasking!  
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 12:59:13 AM by elwoodblues91 » Logged
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2014, 01:02:06 AM »

Thom, just hold on and calm down.  I will be installing our 2014 True Image program in a couple of days.  DO NOTHING until I get back to you.  Once I look at this new version I can walk you through it.  Are you still adding your programs to your new computer?  There is no reason to back it up until you do.  Just do a system restore prior to adding a new program, that way if it screws up you can go back to where you where just before the screw up.

PS- Acronis can do a ton of things but there are only two that I use, boot disc and partition backup.  I back up my C:/ partition but I  copy the files, wavs and MP3's on my other three partitions.  I find that to be better for me but YMMV.

elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2014, 01:17:25 AM »

Ok...gotcha...I'm in idol mode....but just one more question if I may...is it not possible to back up what I have now and then back up new programs as I go...in the future?
Reason I ask,is that I am not sure at this point,what programs I will add and what I will discard or reserve for a another PC in the future.
Besides which,I am still in the process of trying to locate all of my Reason-related purchases that I have on various DVD's and/or USB drives.
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2014, 12:44:33 PM »

Ok...gotcha...I'm in idol mode....but just one more question if I may...is it not possible to back up what I have now and then back up new programs as I go...in the future?
Reason I ask,is that I am not sure at this point,what programs I will add and what I will discard or reserve for a another PC in the future.
Besides which,I am still in the process of trying to locate all of my Reason-related purchases that I have on various DVD's and/or USB drives.

The answer is yes.  You can backup anytime you want.  In fact I always have two backups, the newest one and the previous one, just in case.

Here is an outside thought for you.  Now that you have a new computer you can format your old ones and use them as either backups and/or for installing some of you software and sounds and connecting them to your new computer via an Ethernet cable. I'm thinking about doing that for my old XP machines.

elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2014, 01:18:23 PM »

Here is an outside thought for you.  Now that you have a new computer you can format your old ones and use them as either backups and/or for installing some of you software and sounds and connecting them to your new computer via an Ethernet cable. I'm thinking about doing that for my old XP machines.

Mario,

I think I may need to swap hard drives in my gaming computer(my 3rd PC,I will discard),as I think the existing drive is done for.If possible,I had thought about using Acronis to salvage that PC(which is one of the reasons I opted for the premium version).

Thanks a mint for your unrelenting assistance,as you've bailed me out of trouble many times....your a good man & a good friend,amigo!  Cool

-Thom
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2014, 02:55:23 PM »

Thom if you think that your HD is done for and you have no data on it that you want to save try starting the computer with your XP disc in it.  Then choose install XP and format the drive.  This will determine if the drive is ok, shot or if only some sectors are bad.

I'm glad I'm helping you!

elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2014, 04:10:54 PM »

Thom if you think that your HD is done for and you have no data on it that you want to save try starting the computer with your XP disc in it.  Then choose install XP and format the drive.  This will determine if the drive is ok, shot or if only some sectors are bad.

I have Windows 7 actually,with no disc...on my other computer.
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2014, 04:25:26 PM »

I have Windows 7 actually,with no disc...on my other computer.

OK left click on my computer, right click on the C:/ drive and click format.  That should work but remember EVERYTHING on that computer will get wiped out.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: