Kara-Moon Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:10:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Elwood Has Entered Th Building...Again!  (Read 29542 times)
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2014, 01:23:23 PM »

Thom, I have True Image 2014 up and running so if you still need help just let me know. It is really simple now and much better than any other version thus far.  It is also very fast, minutes instead of hours.  I completely backed up my system, made a Acronis Boot disc and a Win 7 repair disc (from the Windows menu not Acronis') in about 45 minutes.  Granted there isn't a lot on my Internet computer.

I have the guys coming over for a recording the afternoon but I should be on again in the early evening.

The older I get the better I was!
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2014, 02:45:19 PM »

Mario,

I would very much appreciate some help,as there is so much content in this program and I am a bundle of nerves.Besides which,it's only logical that I follow your lead,since you've had Acronis for years.

I mean after all....you did instruct me not to touch a thing,until I consulted you!  Grin

-Thanks
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2014, 10:35:28 PM »

Mario,

I did some poking around in my WD Passport HD and discovered a Windows 8 set up app.I backed up my entire PC in less than 30 minutes...which was fantastically simple....but it appears that the whole process had nothing to do with Acronis,whatsoever?

I am very relieved to have my computer safeguarded,but did I just pay $80 for a software program that I didn't need at all??
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2014, 12:32:09 AM »

Mario,

The first PNG file is a screen from the back up process I executed.The 2nd,is a screen from me just launching Acronis afterwards,to see what was going on.
I'm guessing that,in conjunction with me running the Western Digital Window 8 app,the Acronis is activated upon when I manually execute the save process from within my Windows OS?

I just want to be thorough and make certain that there is nothing more I need to do.

* Elwood PC BackUp Screen.PNG (130.35 KB, 1029x780 - viewed 541 times.)

* Acronis Screen.PNG (226.69 KB, 1320x745 - viewed 524 times.)
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2014, 01:50:38 PM »

Hi Thom,  I am not that  familiar with Win 8.1 but it looks like Acronis is your backup program when you use it.  I say that as I see Acronis cloud as an option and the backup name is "my backups"  and that is the standard name for Acronis backup.  Plus I see that you may be able to save individual partitions.  But I may be wrong, don't know.

What I do know is that Acronis has more options than Win 7 and previous versions and Acronis has saved my wife and son's computers a couple of times.  Thus I swear by it! 

Previous Window's backup was all or nothing while Acronis you could back up individual partitions.  Acronis was also faster plus you could image a disk if you wanted.  There are of more in depth options but I never really played with them.

FWIW - Here is what I am doing to all of our computers.

1-Using Acronis make a full disk backup.  Acronis will ask you when to do this say right now - I forget the language that they used - CRS!
2-click on Create bootable media to make a bootable disc - I used a CD for this.

Then search your Win 8.1 menu (if it is like Win 7 click on my computer, C:/ drive, tools) and make a Win repair disc.  Again I use a CD for this.

You will now have an external HD and two CDs that you should store on a shelf or someplace safe.

You can program Acronis to schedule regular backups (I saw this on your Win menu also and that is another reason I believe Acronis has taken over.)  I do not use this as I do not keep my backup external HDs plugged into my computer for obvious reasons. Whenever I add new stuff I make a new backup. I always keep two backups on one drive, the latest and the one just prior to it, just in case.  I know I'm really paranoid!

That is how I backup my computers.

PS-you did not waste money on Acronis.  I may be wrong but I don't think you needed the premium version but you got it so why not use it.  As I said Acronis has saved me a couple of times thus I know it worked for me.   That is why I recommend it to everyone with a computer.

elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2014, 03:21:18 PM »

Mario,

Windows 8.1 is set up very differently.I did not find anything that was termed "disc repair"...only recovery.Funny thing is,I seem to recall seeing "disc repair" somewhere yesterday,but don't know where.

The screens below should give you an idea of 8.1's layout.

* This PC(manage).PNG (262.73 KB, 1270x1007 - viewed 565 times.)

* Computer Management screen.PNG (224.83 KB, 1507x1011 - viewed 505 times.)

* System Back Up.PNG (85.71 KB, 1597x1026 - viewed 528 times.)
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2014, 04:58:23 PM »

Thom I found this when I binged how to create a system repair disc in Win 8,1: http://mywindows8.org/create-system-repair-disc-cddvd-windows-8-1/

According to this you can not make a system recovery disc in win 8.1.  You can recover when you install your original Win 8.1 disc. 

You did make an Acronis boot disc right?

elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2014, 05:29:12 PM »

You did make an Acronis boot disc right?

Yepper....sure did.So I guess I got all the available bases covered.
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2014, 08:31:26 PM »

I'm assuming you made a backup from the Acronis program, right?

elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2014, 08:47:18 PM »

I'm assuming you made a backup from the Acronis program, right?

Affirmative. Smiley
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2014, 12:11:39 AM »

AS long as you have unplugged the external HD and put it in a safe place you are all set!  The only time you want to plug it in again is after you have made changes and/or added software or data to your system. I wouldn't necessarily plug it in after every song, maybe after 4 or 5 songs.  However you may want to do it after every song, your choice.

Congratulations on getting things up and running smoothly!

PS - If you haven't already get the free Ccleaner and Malwarebytes anti-malware on this machine, I'm assuming that your music computer is connected to the Internet.  Run each every week.  This takes time but between your anti-virus and these two programs you will be extremely well protected.

elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2014, 02:39:54 AM »

AS long as you have unplugged the external HD and put it in a safe place you are all set!  The only time you want to plug it in again is after you have made changes and/or added software or data to your sys

PS - If you haven't already get the free Ccleaner and Malwarebytes anti-malware on this machine, I'm assuming that your music computer is connected to the Internet.  Run each every week.  This takes time but between your anti-virus and these two programs you will be extremely well protected.

Mario,

When I bought this PC,I also purchased a very comprehensive security program called Total Defense Unlimited.It has ant-spam,anti-spyware,anti-virus,anti-phishing,firewall,download protection,social network protection,performance optimization and registry cleaning.
Don't want to add anything that would interfere with this program.

Thanks for all of your help,much appreciated sir!
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2014, 01:02:17 PM »

AS long as you have unplugged the external HD and put it in a safe place you are all set!  The only time you want to plug it in again is after you have made changes and/or added software or data to your sys

Mario,

When I bought this PC,I also purchased a very comprehensive security program called Total Defense Unlimited.It has ant-spam,anti-spyware,anti-virus,anti-phishing,firewall,download protection,social network protection,performance optimization and registry cleaning.
Don't want to add anything that would interfere with this program.

Thanks for all of your help,much appreciated sir!

You have  everything covered wOO

The only other thing that I can think of is do you have a router with a hardware firewall?  Most do now-a-days.  This add another layer of protection against intruders.

elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2014, 02:30:52 PM »

[/quote]

You have  everything covered wOO

The only other thing that I can think of is do you have a router with a hardware firewall?  Most do now-a-days.  This add another layer of protection against intruders.
[/quote]

I have very basic router,but currently,I am just running the cable modem(as they only other machine I have besides my PC,is an XBOX)...but I'm not concerned with hooking that up right now.
My spending spree is officially over and it's time to focus on getting the rest of my debts sorted out.
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2014, 03:30:58 PM »

What make and model of router do you have?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: