Kara-Moon Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:12:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Elwood Has Entered Th Building...Again!  (Read 29831 times)
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2014, 04:45:45 PM »

What make and model of router do you have?

I have a Trendnet broadband router model # TW100-S4W1CA/AS.I looked it up and it does have firewall protection,but it's a DSL router...not a cable router....don't know if that makes a difference.
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2014, 06:11:53 PM »

Thom, This is a cable/dsl router so it will work with cable.  See here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=646284&Q=&is=REG&A=details

I would definitely hook it up and use it. You can plug up to 4 different computers, video games or anything else that can use an Ethernet port to access the Internet.

Just plug the Ethernet cable that come out of your modem into the router's wan port then plug your devices into the router using ports 1 through 4.   You will probably have to buy a couple of Ethernet cables but they are pretty inexpensive now.

I hope this helps.

The older I get the better I was!
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2014, 11:33:51 PM »

Good to know,thanks.I've had this router for quite some time and I did have multiple devices hooked up when I had DSL...but I thought there might be a difference between DSL & cable,in terms of devices like routers.

I definitely need the router,as I am buying MagicJack Plus.Reason being,is that when I first got my house phone with Verizon,I was eligible for a discount of my phone service(due to my disability)...but when I also got DSL from Verizon,I was rendered ineligible for that discount.
Since I got rid of my DSL,for weeks...I have been trying to reinstate my Lifeline discount for the phone(talking to several people along the way)...but to no avail.
With MagicJack,it's $30 a year and I will get long distance to anywhere in the country and Canada,free caller ID,call forwarding,voicemail,call waiting and free 411 and I can plug my regular phone into eother my PC or directly into my modem!

I am buying MagicJack tonight and canceling my Verizon phone service tomorrow(f**k the bozos)!
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2014, 12:45:51 AM »

Mario,

I did what you said,but my computer does not respond to my router(I have an older model,it's blue in color)...maybe it's outdated?Maybe there is a cable-specific broadband router I am supposed to get??
I just spent $60 on a MagicJack device and now I have to buy another friggin' broadband router? Angry
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2014, 01:00:42 AM »

I found a firmware update for my router,but how in the hell am I supposed to update it,since I can't get an internet connection to it??

Perhaps if a more recent model if Trendnet is reasonably priced,I'll spring for one. Undecided
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2014, 01:37:34 AM »

My router has a reset switch and I tried to reset it,but it was unresponsive.I don't see any other alternative,but to buy a new one.Fortunately though,the latest model is $3 cheaper($21).
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2014, 01:59:03 AM »

I placed an order for this;http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=invoice&A=details&Q=&sku=646284&is=REG ...keeping my fingers crossed. Tongue
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2014, 02:29:12 PM »

Unless your router was dead, which is a possibility, sometimes there are different ways to get up and running depending on what equipment you have.  Here are the two methods to try with both your old and your new router.

1- unplug the power to your modem
2-conect the router to the modem
3-turn on the router - wait about 3 minutes or so
4-power up the modem - wait about 3 minutes or so
5-power up your computer and see if all is ok.

If not then
1-unplug the power to both the modem and router but keep them connected
2-power up the modem - wait 3 minutes or so
3-power up the router - wait three minutes or so
4-power up your computer

One of these two ways has always worked for me.

Good luck

elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2014, 05:51:30 PM »

Mario,

Since I had already placed the order and it was already shipped out from the warehouse,I thought that I would just wait for the new router to see what happens.
When I unpacked it,the manual had these really elaborate instructions on how to set it up...such as typing in an address in the search bar,contacting my cable company for the Mac Address..etc.,....which was a nightmare.

I then called Comcast and explained the whole proposed scenario from the manual and she told to forego all that,and just execute the procedure you mentioned and it was just plug & play.
More than likely I guess,your 1st method you mentioned would have worked(on my old router)...but I'm not going to make a fuss and disrupt my set up,just to save $20...by returning my new router.
The way I look at it,I'll have a back-up router...just in case.

Thanks again for all of your help!By the way...the MagicJack phone is great and I'm saving myself $270 a year! 911 calls are an extra charge,which is odd...but I have a free cell phone for that.

-Thom
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2014, 06:47:54 PM »

That's good news.  Most of the time typing the router's address is for the more advanced options, which I suggest that you do not get into.

FYI-many times you can daisy chain routers to give you more inputs but it depends on the router itself.  A switch will also give you more inputs if you need them.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: