Kara-Moon Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:10:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Router & Xbox 360 Issue  (Read 5516 times)
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« on: July 15, 2014, 01:51:25 AM »

I need some input from the gamer-crowd.

My Xbox 360 can't find my IP address.Xbox's instructions,were for me to unplug my router/modem for 30 seconds,plug them back in & then wait another 30 seconds.
I did this twice and no dice.It was then suggested by Xbox console's troubleshooting tips,to enter an alternate MAC address....WHAT!??
It was also suggested,that I visit Xbox's website for help....but under their list of hardware support,my router's model is not listed.In such a situation,Microsoft suggest that I post my model # and that they will add it to their support list in the future....what...I'm supposed to sit on my f**king hands for perhaps months & wait for them?
This is very discouraging...because Xbox's website is a dead stick,that is outdated and seems pretty much abandoned.Somehow...I think all of Microsoft's energy and focus,is on the Xbox One...as I don't think they give a sh*t about the 360(as this console is no longer Microsoft's cash cow).
It's not that important for me to resolve this game console issue,because I am not about to turn my computer set up upside down for this..but I am so frustrated over this,as when I had a DSL connection...I had no fuss or muss at all.
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 02:30:27 AM »

According to my research your modem, although not the best for on line gaming,  is compatible with the XBox 360.

Try these steps, they are similar the same ones I gave you when you had your latest computer problems:

1 + 2-unplug the power to both the modem and router but keep them connected
3-turn on the router - wait about 3 minutes or so
4-power up the modem - wait about 3 minutes or so
5-power up your computer and see if all is ok.
6-power up your xbox 360

If not then
1-unplug the power to both the modem and router but keep them connected
2-power up the modem - wait 3 minutes or so
3-power up the router - wait three minutes or so
4-power up your computer and see if all is ok
5- power up your xbox 360

Good luck

Ps - we have two x-box 360s running here off of one router.

The older I get the better I was!
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 01:43:19 PM »

According to my research your modem, although not the best for on line gaming,  is compatible with the XBox 360.

Try these steps, they are similar the same ones I gave you when you had your latest computer problems:

1 + 2-unplug the power to both the modem and router but keep them connected
3-turn on the router - wait about 3 minutes or so
4-power up the modem - wait about 3 minutes or so
5-power up your computer and see if all is ok.
6-power up your xbox 360

If not then
1-unplug the power to both the modem and router but keep them connected
2-power up the modem - wait 3 minutes or so
3-power up the router - wait three minutes or so
4-power up your computer and see if all is ok
5- power up your xbox 360

Good luck

Ps - we have two x-box 360s running here off of one router.

Your methods didn't work and as I suspected,waiting another 2:30 didn't make a difference.As for my modem..I have a Motorola Surfboard SB6141 and it's a cable modem,so how is this poor for online gaming??
Furthermore...I had no problem with my old Trendnet router and DSL connection...so why should a faster connection like cable,be a detriment in any way?
It seems to me,that my old Verizon ISP # needs to be flushed out of my Xbox....perhaps a factory reset might work?

Thanks for your input.
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 02:01:36 PM »

The transfer rates of modems can be different.  Some are faster than others.  I just reported what I read during my Bing search, I have no practical experience with on line gaming.  Those reports I read were comparing cable to cable connections NOT cable to DSL connections.  You could be a lot faster on cable depending on what cable speed you have signed up for.  Around here we have three speed options and the slowest is the same as DSL.  Note that I was a big time gamer back in the day and in fact I did program a few games for the old Bally and Atari systems.  Today I only play Strat-O-Matic Hockey on my computer and I have a Wii that the wife and I play together.

Waiting an extra few minutes clears all the ram in the modem and router.  If you don't wait long enough you start up right where you left off.

You are probably right in that your X-Box is still looking for your old router and/or router's password.  I would try a factory reset.

***  UPDATE ***  I just talked to my son who has a X-box 360 hooked up and see said your X-box should find your router when you plug it in.  It only gets confused when you use wireless routers.  Were you wireless with your old router?

Good luck

elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 02:25:14 PM »

Mario,

When I had DSL,I was signed up for their slowest speed(which was 350kbps max.)Like I had said,my Xbox didn't have a problem then.Now..with cable,I have a speed of 3MB per second(maximum).

No...I do not use a wireless router.The Xbox 360 has automatic and manual configurations for ISP settings...so I am guessing that I have to manually enter my ISP address into my Xbox...I just need to figure out what my ISP address # is.
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 03:14:50 PM »

Well...I found my ISP information and manually entered it all into my Xbox...but all to no avail.I give up...because I absolutely refuse to start messing around with my router's settings and/or firmware & the same goes for my modem.
I am certainly not about to return either of these devices,in hopes of finding the right one to accommodate my goddamn Xbox either...I mean...this is becoming so absurd. Roll Eyes

Thanks for trying to help...but I am unconditionally screwed.
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 03:55:25 PM »

You are not "unconditionally screwed"!  Like you I would not mess with my router, leave  that to a pro as you may need to open a router port to your X-Box, but I doubt that at this point.

Reset your X-box and follow the reset docs to a tee as different devices have different rules.  Then may sure that you are on the automatic ISP settings.  Then try it again.  If no go then replace your Ethernet cable, maybe it is defective.  Don't buy a new one yet just temporarily use your computer Ethernet cable. If it works then your cable is bad.  If still a no go then the problem is with either your X-Box and/or router settings.

The next to try if a no go is to temporarily bypass the router and go straight from the modem to the X-Box. If that works then try it again with the other Ethernet cable.  If they both work then you have a handshaking problem with the X-box and the router.  In that case contact your router's help line and/or forum for help.  If still a no go then the problem is with your X-Box.

Note when doing this only do one thing at a time.  We need to find out where the problem lies.

elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 11:29:10 PM »

I know for a fact,the ethernet cable is good...as it's the same cable I had used when I had DSL.Going directly from the modem,did not work.
If you've ever gone through the configuration menus of an Xbox,you would see that there is enough sub menus in it,to make the average person faint..at the sight of it.
I can't think anymore and all of this aggravation over a damn game console is more than I can take.I've been at this all day and I've gotten nowhere.
I tried resetting the Xbox to it's default settings and that was a bust also.

I am not actually into online gaming...but...some games require updates and I would also like the option to download games(as some games are only available as downloads).
If I can use a USB stick to download Xbox content and transfer to my Xbox....I'd much rather do that.I miss the days when game consoles just played gaming discs,such as my Sony PS2.
These days...some games will not even work without an internet connection and I've even read where some games are only licensed for the original purchaser(which means you cannot play your disc on any other console but your own.

To make matters worse,I saw a news video,wherein the Game Stop stores in Canada,were selling these games as used(which is illegal)..because the licenses cannot be transferred,so the buyer is screwed,because returning the software is illegal! Roll Eyes

Gaming consoles are just ridiculously complicated,as they function more like a computer and all of the bells & whistles just get worse with each new advancing console.
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 12:51:35 AM »

Have your tried contacting the computer dealer who sold you the computer?  He may have some idea what do do.

Also just because your Ethernet cable worked before doesn't mean that it is ok today, i.e. been there done that!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: