Kara-Moon Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:12:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DAW tip : Why you need a second hard disk in your DAW  (Read 4189 times)
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« on: July 20, 2014, 10:05:46 AM »

I'm not sure if you guys are doing this, but I allways place a second HD in my DAW.

Reason is very straightforward: when the PC crashes due to a virus or by a defect, you have a lot of change that the data on your second harddrive will be saved! If needed, you can easily reformat the boot-drive since it will only contain the OS and programs on it.

Also, bear in mind that the primary HD which contain the OS, wil do a lot more of IO than the data-disk. So this one is bound to die sooner than your data-disk.

There's also an option to place a third small disk as temporary drive, for example a small SDD. Use this drive as download place and temporary things. From time to time you can easily delete everything. Placing the temporary files seperatly will spare up your clean data-drive.

Next, if you data-drive is there, it's easy to have it cloned to an external drive.

Also, make an 'install' folder on the data-drive and keep the habbit of putting all you installation files in there. Reason is straightforward: if your pc dies on you, you can easily re-install everything from scratch. Don't forget to make a file with your licence information and secure this one.

If you decide to buy a new pc, things become very easy: just move the HD over and all your data and installation files will be there.

I've been using this technique for years and it has saved me allready a lot of headaches.

Last tip: HD's and SSD's don't live forever. Depending on how often you use your PC, it's a good idea to replace the HDD's every three years. Keep the older HDD as extra external backup drive and have the habbit to clone your data-drive at least every three months to the external drive. Note that having backup's on harddrives is much saver than having them on burned CD's or DVD's because they don't survive very long.

Moon
Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 10:34:14 PM »

Yes - great idea!

I have five hard drives in my music/video computer. Only two of them are operating at any given time - the other three are for back-up and storage.

To make digital video editing a bit faster, I may install a SSD... when they are a little more affordable.

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 09:32:20 PM »

SSDs are mostly recommended for stuff that doesn't change much, such as OS, applications, sample banks etc.

Lots of people say you shouldn't use them for heavy duty write cycles. However, I've had one doing the for some time now, and not had any problems ... yet!

Having said that, at the completion of any project, I always do a full backup.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: