Kara-Moon Forum
April 23, 2024, 04:46:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux questions  (Read 5657 times)
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« on: August 14, 2014, 09:08:44 PM »

I need some advice from you Linux users.

I have an ASUS notebook running XP that I take on my vacations/holidays.  I use it for storing my pictures and for a little Internet use.  Instead of just tossing it away I thought I might try running Linux on it.  Here is where I am confused:

There appears to be a few different versions of Linux that are available.  What is the best one(s) to use for my needs?  I want to get rid of XP so should I format the drive prior to installing Linux?  Not to worry I have a backup.  How about drivers, are drivers readily available for Lunix?  How about a browser or an email program.  Or should I just use Yahoo email?  Any anti-virus programs for Linux?  Is there anything else that I need to know?

As you can tell I know absolutely nothing about running Linux on a machine!  I have used Ubuntu a little running off a CD but I really didn't get into it.

Thanx in advance for your time and help.

The older I get the better I was!
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 02:32:57 AM »

Easy transition:

1. Get ubuntu or xbuntu. Version 14.04 is the current and it's fine.

2. Put it on a USB flash drive. You might need to google for instructions, but it's basically just a matter of copying the ISO to the flash drive.

3. Boot the laptop from the flash drive. Bang away and see if you hate it or love it. Your experience will be better installed.

4. For another $100 you might want to get a SSD and replace the hard disk on the laptop. Makes a huge speed (and battery life) difference.

5. If you like linux, install it on the HD or SSD. Just follow the prompts. Easy, peasie.

Have fun!

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 02:38:41 AM »

I should have added:

Plug in a network cable. Wireless works fine, but might be a tad more difficult from install depending on the chipset in the laptop. It will work, but you may have to install the drivers from the 'net after you get it running.

Again, it's not a big deal.

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 07:45:26 AM »

I'd add that if you want to be closer to the Windows XP visual layout, try PC Linux OS.

Their web site:
http://www.pclinuxos.com/

You still can do the USB trick (or a CD) 'live' boot - you may need to change a setting in the laptop bios.

With all live distributions (distros) do bear in mind that they run much slower than a full install, but the main thing is they give you a no-damage way of checking they will work on a particular machine.

If you have the time, try several different distros to see which you like best. I've found the ones based on the KDE desktop like PC Linux OS tend to be better suited to Windows refugees. Those with the Xfce window manager have a very minimalist look-and-feel and are usually best for machines with older CPUs and restricted memory.

Whatever you go for, you will usually find there are a lot of usability tweaks yiou can make that will give you a much closer fit to your ideal workflow.

Hope that helps Smiley

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 06:24:16 PM »

My wife and I have two old Asus notebooks running on Easy Peasy - http://www.geteasypeasy.com/ - an Ubuntu variant, optimized for older/slower machines.

Linus will format the drive for you, using the ext4 file system. Windows will be completely removed, and the drive will be formatted into two basic partitions - standard for a linux installation.

A default web browser will be loaded with EasyPeasy, probably FireFox. I use Gmail for mail.

I have not used any anti-virus software on any of our four computers for more than six years. Malicious code does not fare well in software environments (like Linux/Unix) that run without executable files (suffix .exe).
OK, go!

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 03:38:22 PM »

First I want to thank all for your suggestions.  They were extremely helpful.

I ended up with Ubuntu.  I formatted the HD, installed Unbuntu, and after a little learning curve got everything running exactly like I wanted.  That is I can get on the Internet and I am able to save any view my pictures.

Thanx again everyone.

The older I get the better I was!
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 06:09:05 PM »

Good to hear. Now just enjoy your new/old notebook Grin

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 06:09:17 PM »

... after a little learning curve got everything running exactly like I wanted...

All right!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: