Kara-Moon Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:06:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Trek Basement  (Read 10179 times)
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« on: August 10, 2014, 03:35:02 PM »

A man in Long Island,N.Y.,spends $500,000...to transform his basement into the interior of the Enterprise NX-01.Initially,I thought this was a fantastic concept...but it resembles more of a Star Trek museum,rather than an accurate recreation of the NX-01.

The walls,ceiling and the flooring are impressive...but his basement is cluttered with mannequins,costumes & all sorts of film/TV set memorabilia(which is where most of his money went into).

Also...his brown leather seating is an abomination and a terrible eyesore,in my opinion.I just think that all of the junk he added,just makes his basement look more like a fun-house,rather than the interior of the NX-01 vessel.

I only spent $500 thus far,on my Star Trek bedroom(still a work in progress) and it suits me just fine.Don't get me wrong,as I can really appreciate the attention to detail & his passion for Star Trek....but if I had a half million to spend,my apartment would be indistinguishable from the real Enterprise set!

http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/scifi/star-trek-fan-spends-500000-turning-basement-enterprise.html
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 03:38:58 PM »

Ah...yes,this is much better!...

http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/scifi/star-trek-fanatic-creates-coolest-basement-theater.html
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 06:35:01 PM »

Yup!!!

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 07:22:40 PM »

His basement is just a collection of Star Trek Memorabilia!

I agree with you in that for that amount of money he could have done a lot better job.  But it is apparent to me that he only wants to be a collector and not do a Star Trek emulation of any kind.

To each his own!

The older I get the better I was!
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 10:55:36 PM »

Yeah ... to each his own.

I've never been that enamoured with a TV show or movie to do anything like that. Seems to be to be over the top. Mind you, I'm sure the wife figures it's better than visiting the bar every night Smiley

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 12:20:53 AM »

His basement is just a collection of Star Trek Memorabilia!

But it is apparent to me that he only wants to be a collector and not do a Star Trek emulation of any kind.

I wouldn't go that far as to say that he didn't do any emulation of any kind(because the resemblance of the NX-01's interior walls,floor & ceiling was more or less spot on)...but,that's the only aspect of the basement that is accurate....as obviously,he made no effort to compartmentalize his basement into various rooms & hallways.

As indicated in the second link,not only was that guy's interpretation of the NCC-1701 vessel spot on in terms of color & the basic motif,it was sort of configured like a vessel and it's atmosphere made you feel that you were indeed,on a starship.
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 11:08:28 PM »

Yes you're right the second link was much better.  However give the that home theater anytime!

The older I get the better I was!
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 07:12:54 PM »

Good stuff, especially No. 2, but I justdon't know where folks find the time for this stuff. I'm still working on my kitchen (although it is looking a lot better now Smiley

* Kitchen_20.JPG (712.1 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 547 times.)

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 11:04:40 PM »

Good stuff, especially No. 2, but I justdon't know where folks find the time for this stuff. I'm still working on my kitchen (although it is looking a lot better now Smiley

The first guy,spent 4 years creating his domicile...so it seems to me,that anyone could find the time in that period.Don't know how long the second person took,but I am amazed at what she accomplished for a mere $30,000!

Kitchen is shaping up nicely & I've always had a fondness for the Victorian motif,as I have rented in many historic homes over the years...but now that I am completely consumed by the Star Trek motif,I am very happy living in a modern building(although I still very much long for elliptical-shaped windows! Cry Grin
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 03:34:26 PM »

Is the plumbing for a gas range, or the kitchen sink?

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 03:52:26 PM »

@Thom,
Have you seen the pix offthewall has of his house on his website? Incredible stuff.
Hmmm. Where is that guy these days?

@Oren
There is a gas stud just out of sight on the left wall, but I'll probably go all electric. Those two are the hot and cold water pipes Smiley
I've also got to hire a masonry saw to cut a new hole for the waste pipe (don't ask!).

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 05:54:16 PM »

@Thom,
Have you seen the pix offthewall has of his house on his website? Incredible stuff.
Hmmm. Where is that guy these days?

James asked me the same thing recently and yes,I have seen his house on more than one occasion. Cool
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: