Kara-Moon Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:23:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Scammers - A possible explanation  (Read 7143 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« on: December 15, 2014, 10:28:58 PM »

We seem to have a sudden outbreak of these creatures defacing our site. I've noticed they seem to hang about waiting for all the regulars to log off then dump their crap posts here Angry

I'm wondering if we should review our policies again and maybe put newbies under moderation.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 11:51:08 PM by folderol » Logged

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 01:37:21 AM »

I fear it isn't safe to visit this forum anymore,as next thing you know,hackers will start slipping trojan viruses into our songs!Of course though,half the people on this forum have Linux systems....so I guess K-M will become a Linux-only club,because they'll be the only ones protected from all of this riff raff. Roll Eyes
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 08:08:29 AM »

OK guys.
I think I zapped them all.
Let me know if I've missed any.
Thanks for the heads up, Will.
This is the first time that I haven't checked in for about a week and this happens.
I may not be contributing much these days but I still try to watch over things.

I'll try to post some music soon.
 Lips Sealed
James

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 08:44:12 AM »

I just checked the full member list and have found dozens of them. As I don't have the capability to 'mass' delete I have messaged Moon to see if he can sort it.
Any other mods please assist.

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 10:13:53 PM »

Thanks for your work here mate. It really is appreciated.

@Thom,
If it's any consolation you are probably far safer here than on any other website. For a start there are no third-party dodgy add agencies, and that's the scammers favourite route.

If your mail reader supports working with just plain text, no HTML, auto links etc. you should have no chance of damage from these low-lifes.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 01:00:26 PM »

Just to keep you up to date.
Over the past couple of days I have deleted somewhere round 500 dubious accounts.
If I have inadvertently got rid of anyone genuine I apologise and hope they will come back once this farce has run its course.
I wish there were more mods around  Lips Sealed

Wink
James.

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 06:43:23 PM »

Persistent booggers aren't they?

I'm currently watching them, watching me Grin

- Will
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 12:00:39 AM »

I think I'm detecting a pattern here, and I don't like it one bit.

One scammer registers and acts as a watcher. Once they are confident that no mods are on-line several sock-puppets register as well. One of these posts a link, then (I think) the others all visit it, and on to the website linked.

Whether anyone here would follow is unlikely, although a few visitors might as a curiosity. However, the scammers are upping the website's hit rate using us as a smokescreen. If I'm right, then the real scam is against any advertisers on those websites - not that I have any intention of visiting to find out if I'm right!

As a variation, sometimes they register in advance by a few hours, then when the watcher is ready to post, they log in so that they can follow the link as quickly as possible to reduce the chance of a mod removing it before they get the chance.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 12:11:59 AM by folderol » Logged

- Will
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 08:14:27 PM »

I think I'm detecting a pattern here, and I don't like it one bit.

One scammer registers and acts as a watcher. Once they are confident that no mods are on-line several sock-puppets register as well. One of these posts a link, then (I think) the others all visit it, and on to the website linked.

Whether anyone here would follow is unlikely, although a few visitors might as a curiosity. However, the scammers are upping the website's hit rate using us as a smokescreen. If I'm right, then the real scam is against any advertisers on those websites - not that I have any intention of visiting to find out if I'm right!

As a variation, sometimes they register in advance by a few hours, then when the watcher is ready to post, they log in so that they can follow the link as quickly as possible to reduce the chance of a mod removing it before they get the chance.

I think it's about time,that drastic changes to the registration process be made...such as having a mod approve
the applicant,before granting anyone access to this website.

It seems to me,that this is the most simple and effective way to eliminate this problem once & for all....which in turn,would result in a lot less work for the mods.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 08:18:24 PM by elwoodblues91 » Logged
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 08:35:34 PM »

Thom,
This is exactly what is supposed to happen.
For some reason it has stopped working.
If I could track down Moon we might be able to get a reason.

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 04:18:13 PM »

Member registration has been changed: from now on, you'll need approval of a memeber before getiing registred. The captcha on registartion is now activated to, preventing robots from registering.

I hope this helps...

Moon
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 11:00:13 PM »

YES!  wOO

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: