Kara-Moon Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:24:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: A question for the group....  (Read 30027 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: July 27, 2007, 09:39:14 PM »

I still consider myself a newbie to computers,since I have only had my first one for a couple of years.
That being said,I have done 9 albums in the last 2 years with my Korg Triton Extreme & I would like to post selections from each album on this forum,but I have absolutely no experience with uploading my music into a mp3 format.
Can anyone advise me on a relatively painless way of achieving this?
I had made a few attempts to do this on Myspace and I failed miserably.
Is there anyone that can help me despite my neolithic ignorance?
Some direction would be most appreciated.

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 07:03:35 AM »

Of course we will help you  Cool

But you have to answer a couple of questions first so that we know  what you have

- Obviously you have a computer, otherwise you wouldn't be here .... is it a PC or a Mac, window, OS X or Linux
- Do you have the free audio editor Audacity ?
- If yes can you look in your audacity folder or in one of the subfolder of audacity if you have smething called 'lame_enc.dll' or simular.

That's it

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 03:52:42 PM »

I have a desktop with windows XP,but I do not have the Audacity audio editor.
If you could direct me to the site where I can download this editor-I would be grateful.

Thanks so much. Cool

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 04:07:01 PM »

Try here

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Wink

kara
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 04:17:21 PM »

ok, download audacity and install it

after that you'll need a codec to convert to mp3
just type lame_enc.dll in google, you can download it from different places on the net.
after downloading lame_enc.dll put it in your audacity folder

and come back here and we'll explain how to load a wav file and convert it to mp3, it's realy simple

k

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 05:28:54 PM »

... and once you have it in Audacity you could well be side-tracked by all the things you can do with it, and forget to to save it out as an mp3 Smiley

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 06:20:01 PM »

Kara,

I downloaded & installed the Audacity but I'm not sure where that folder is that it went into.
The converter was right there on the Audacity website to download and I did that,but there were so many versions,that I do not know if I downloaded the right one.
I saved the converter download in my documents folder,but i do not know how to put it into the Audacity folder.
I may have to have GeekSquad come out to my place to do this for me,because I do not have enough of a grasp of a pc to pull this off.
If I don't physically have someone here to show what to do,I may never figure it out.For the last two years,I have not been able to figure this out on my own.
I'm too far behind the times for this.
I appreciate you all trying to help though.

E.

kara
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 06:40:44 PM »

... and once you have it in Audacity you could well be side-tracked by all the things you can do with it, and forget to to save it out as an mp3 Smiley

Yep, if he downloads the LADSPA plugins and take the time to learn them Smiley

You know, I regulary post something like 'if you can't do it with audacity forget it '  Smiley
Just to say that it my main audio editor

k

kara
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 06:44:53 PM »

Kara,

I downloaded & installed the Audacity but I'm not sure where that folder is that it went into.
The converter was right there on the Audacity website to download and I did that,but there were so many versions,that I do not know if I downloaded the right one.
I saved the converter download in my do***ents folder,but i do not know how to put it into the Audacity folder.
I may have to have GeekSquad come out to my place to do this for me,because I do not have enough of a grasp of a pc to pull this off.
If I don't physically have someone here to show what to do,I may never figure it out.For the last two years,I have not been able to figure this out on my own.
I'm too far behind the times for this.
I appreciate you all trying to help though.

E.

i suppose that the default installation of audacity goes to c:\progam files\audacity ?
Just a question do you know how to use windows explorer ? (not internet explorer)

I never give up......

k

shekk

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 07:04:32 PM »

commendable efforts kara Wink
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 09:36:34 PM »

I know I'm coming across as a bleeding imbesol,but you have to understand that I am 38 yuears old-I did not grow up with computers,I did not take any computer classes in high school and even if i did,those pcs in that day were mosiac compared to today.I have never worked with computers in the workplace.
If someone does not have a fundamental understanding of computers and is not familiar with were things are stored and how they interact with each other-then the most elementary of tasks on a pc can be overwhelming.

This is why I do all of my recording on my keyboard workstation,because 17 years ago,I was introduced to the realm of keyboard workstations by a recording engineer and I have stuck with them ever since,so for me to all of a sudden to dive into pc interfacing and recording would be like hitting a brick wall,because I don't know where to begin.

All I have ever accomplished with my pc is label printing,internet surfing and downloading music to my mp3 player-that's it.

Yes,the program file folder is probably where it is stored,but when I click on "send" in order to transfer the file to my Audacity folder-the program file is not displayed in that list.
Yeah Kara,your probably right,if I can't figure out Audacity,then maybe I should forget it.
I don't want to give up,but how do I get around my ignorance without enrolling myself in a computer school?

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 10:01:21 PM »

Hi there. I am very sorry to hear about the frustrating time you are having. For what it is worth I went through the same some time ago.

I'm probably not the best person to advise on Windows matters, but I seem to remember that when new applications were installed, they put themselves on the menu system (under accessories I think). If you hunt through the menus, do you find Audacity there? That would be a good start.

Don't give up. Don't let the machines win Smiley

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 10:02:03 PM »

OK, I'm 58 and when I went to school computers weren't invented. I got my first PC 5 years ago and had to teach myself how to use it so I could teach my family.  I only got into music recording on the PC 2 years ago.  I hope that I can help you.

First off,

tell us what operating system you are using.   For now I will presume it is Windows XP.
If so......go to Start >  My computer > ...when the window opens go to Folders (near top of window) > click Folders and the window will change to Two panes, left and right. In the left pane you should have a list of everything that is on your PC.
It should go, from top to bottom something like : Desktop/My Documents/31/2Floppy(A)/LocalDisk(C)/DVDdrive(E)/ControlPanel.......etc.

This is where you can find the information required.

Click on the + beside LocalDisk(C) and the contents of your hard drive will be revealed.  Click on any of the + signs down the list until you find a folder for Audacity.

Take your time. Investigate. You can't do any harm here.
We'll continue this tomorrow.

Good luck.
 Cool
James

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 12:53:06 AM »

Ok,my Audacity folder is in the start menu under program files.
The "lame_enc.dll" for the wav to mp3 conversion file is located in my documents folder.
Kara instructed me to put this code into my Audacity file.At this particular juncture,I need to know how to send this file.
I assumed that if I clicked on send,the "program file" would be there in the list,but it is not.
I need to know what I am doing wrong.

Thanks to all.

kara
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 08:15:13 AM »

Great we are getting there
Now, the audacity you see in your start menu is NOT the program, it it is just the menu shortcut to start it. But it is easy to find out where it realy is.
So you click Start -> Program files and then you locate audacity and RIGHT click on it (click with the right button), a menu will open and in the menu you choose 'properties'.
In that window, under the tab 'Shortcut' you will see where the program is located beside 'location'; Write this down, you will need this. Close the window after that.

Now we have to get lame_enc.dll in there.

Again go the start button, this time you choose find > files or folder and click on it.
When the window opens, you choose at the left 'All files and folders'
Then in the first entry box you enter 'lame_enc.dll', the second you leave blank and you just click on the search button.
You just let the computer search for the file and when it is finished you'll have it in the right pane of the window.
When it is finished searching you click ONCE on the name of the file (NO double click) to highlight it. Now you go in the top menu of that window to the second element from the left beside File and single click on it when that opens you choose 'Copy in a directory'
Again a window will open. Click on the + beside the c drive locate program files, click on the + beside program files and locate the audacity folder which you wrote down previously.
Once you found it , single click on the name of the folder to highlight it and click on the copy button .
This is it , you can close all windows now

When you've done that, reply here and we'll setup audacity together

k

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: