Kara-Moon Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:34:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My Latest In Home Theatrics  (Read 5984 times)
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« on: April 22, 2015, 09:43:04 PM »

After much toil and tribulation over the most suitable course of action to take,in my home theater application...I finally settled on a solution I can not only live with,but revel in...as well.
Initially,my salivary glands were having a flash flood and my taste buds were setting up a table on my tongue...over the Polk Audio LSiM703's bookshelf speakers( http://www.polkaudio.com/lsim703/d/1019 ),as I was accustomed to large sounds,out of a compact size(as for the last decade),I have been using a 6 channel mixer and 4 studio monitors...but recently,I wanted to eliminate the manual operation of several power switches and to have the convenience of a single power button for my movie audio.
The LSiM703's aptly represented what I was looking for,but at $1500 for a pair of bookshelf's,I had to seek an cheaper alternative(especially since I wanted a quadraphonic configuration.)
As it were,I had settled on 2 pairs of the Polk Audio TSx220B's( http://www.polkaudio.com/tsx220b/d/1051 )...as they were only $300 for the pair.They were very clean sounding and the low end response was decent(but not nearly to the point of movie theater-quality.)
So....since I had sold off my M-Audio and Adam Audio monitors,I was ready to step up and replace one of my pairs of Polk Audio's...for something considerably more stout.
Oddly enough,what I was then looking for,was not to be found at any conventional hi-fi retailer...but at a musical instrument store.It was then that I discovered that aside from PA speakers,
Cerwin Vega also makes a home audio line of loudspeakers.What's really fascinating about the Cerwin Vega XLS line,is that although they have the typical horn-shaped wave-guides as PA speakers,they don't have the harsh sound of a conventional horn tweeter(as they are equipped with silk dome tweeters.)
Also...what's particularly exciting,as well as unique,is that the
XLS line has a 3 way design,which includes a horn-shaped wave-guide for the mid range driver as well!
Like my Polk Audio's,the Cerwin Vega's have passive crossovers and also includes a bi-wire/bi amp option(which typically is found only in the high end market,such as the exorbitantly expensive Polk Audio LSiM703's.)
Cerwin Vega's XLS line has many models to choose from,but the XLS-12's was the ideal choice,as it's 12" woofer,sturdy cabinet size and 3-way horn-shaped design,sets it apart from anything else you'll find in the high end home audio market.
What's really marvelous about the
XLS-12's,is that the low frequencies ring out with authority,even at low volumes(while also not being overbearing)...thus negating the need for a subwoofer(something of which,I find terribly inconvenient to set up and I never liked the concept of monophonic bass.)
As for amplification,I originally started about with a 2.1 channel amp that had 2 sets of stereo speaker terminals(but...I was warned against this by a hi-fi forum member,that such a configuration would cause cancellation/phase issues)...though I was not aware of any such issues.Still though...I wanted a higher wattage amp anyway....so I went with a 7.1 channel.I have however,continued with a 2.1,quadraphonic set up(as I didn't want the focus primarily on the front speakers,with the occasional rear surrounds getting a signal,in accordance with whatever film I'm watching.)
This is why I have always stuck with a 2.1 set up and with my 7.1 amp,and I have my second pair of speakers(my rear speakers),hooked up to the front surround terminals.
I don't know if this is correct for a true quadraphonic set up,but it sounds fine to me(but then ignorance is bliss) and I am a virtual idiot,when it comes to home theater(as I do not have enough experience in this area.)

Interestingly enough,I had contacted Cerwin Vega tech support about the aforementioned cancellation/phase issue in a 2.1 set up and according to the individual I spoke with....well...if the room is configured properly,such issues can be eliminated with the right speaker placement and acoustical treatment(though both sides are in conflict in their assertions.)  Huh

By the way,the Cerwin Vega XLS-12's are $800 for the pair(though I managed to negotiate with the retailer,down to $760).  Cool

* 103_0011.JPG (2632.1 KB, 4608x3456 - viewed 580 times.)

* 103_0009.JPG (2518.23 KB, 4608x3456 - viewed 607 times.)
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 09:45:03 PM »

* 103_0005.JPG (2457.13 KB, 4608x3456 - viewed 526 times.)

* 103_0006.JPG (2510.49 KB, 4608x3456 - viewed 566 times.)

* 103_0010.JPG (2504.93 KB, 4608x3456 - viewed 608 times.)
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 09:46:23 PM »

* 103_0012.JPG (2440.22 KB, 4608x3456 - viewed 591 times.)

* 103_0007.JPG (2581.29 KB, 4608x3456 - viewed 602 times.)

* 103_0015.JPG (2503.69 KB, 4608x3456 - viewed 570 times.)
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 06:24:05 PM »

Tres cool, Thom!  Cool

Looks very good - gotta sound good, too...

Ain't it strange, the brand names in audio equipment - my two favourite weird ones: Polk and Bogner. I mean really!

* sonus.jpg (17.78 KB, 246x205 - viewed 563 times.)

* boobtone.jpg (15.82 KB, 260x194 - viewed 553 times.)

elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 10:57:10 PM »

Tres cool, Thom!  Cool

Looks very good - gotta sound good, too...

Ain't it strange, the brand names in audio equipment - my two favourite weird ones: Polk and Bogner. I mean really!

Mathew Polk,was the founder of Polk Audio...not so strange to me.As for your Boobtone amp...while it is a very amusing & titillating name  Grin ..it's a reference to an amp that's tube driven..i.e. "the boob tube" which to me,is not all that strange either.Then again though...it is a British term and those folks can be pretty strange. Wink
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 08:59:52 PM »

it is a British term and those folks can be pretty strange. Wink
Oi!
... I resemble that remark Smiley

That's quite some cool setup you've got there. I'm still struggling to finish my kitchen refurb Sad

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 10:59:06 PM »

it is a British term and those folks can be pretty strange. Wink
Oi!
... I resemble that remark Smiley

That's quite some cool setup you've got there. I'm still struggling to finish my kitchen refurb Sad

Thanks....refurbishing one's own home theater is much more agreeable(not having to tear down walls and such.) Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: