Kara-Moon Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:56:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Guitar fret noise  (Read 5438 times)
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« on: August 03, 2015, 02:17:19 AM »

I'm having a discussion with a happy user (hope there are lots of them!!!) about adding an option to generate guitar fret noise. I've played a bit with different methods, but nothing excites me. In all the attempts I have a guitar track of some type (chord or plectrum, doesn't really matter) and I then use the GM-MIDI fretnoise patch just before a note.

Now, I'm not a big fan of noisy guitars. I don't play, but I really think that proper technique should NOT be adding noise. Mind you, I play sax and we add all kinds of shit to out playing Smiley

The real point of this post is to ask if the method I'm using has any chance of success? I've done some research on the web and most everything I find talks about patches including fret noise as part of the actual instrument (and controlling this with various CCs). And, this might be the "right way" to do it.

So, should I even bother to figure this out using a separate track? And if you guys (and gals) figure it is a good thing ... then can anyone point me to a MIDI track that has this (and sounds decent)? I don't mind spending some time reverse engineering this.

Thanks.

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 07:21:36 PM »

I've never heard a really convincing fret noise addition.

I think  the problem is that in the real world it is never the same twice, and also is 'context' sensitive. Not only does each string sound different, but the start and end points as well as the movement speed critically affect the sound.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 02:48:09 AM »

One other question: On a real guitar only the bottom 2 (or 3?) strings which are wire-wound produce noise?

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 04:16:00 PM »

Depends...
Ernie Ball lightweghts (which I use on my electric) the bottom three are wound.
Nylon strings on an accoustic it's typically the bottom four.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 06:16:40 PM »

Depends...
Ernie Ball lightweghts (which I use on my electric) the bottom three are wound.
Nylon strings on an accoustic it's typically the bottom four.

Oh, no! Not another "depends" situation Smiley

But, seriously, it's been suggested that if I just "noise" the lowest string, that should suffice.

I guess (nope, not done any coding!) that when starting a new chord I could look at the previous low string's play position (fret #), see what the new chord calculates the low string fret should be and then apply some noise if some conditions are true. I'm sure this is doable in a MMA plectrum track ... I'm not sure if it is worthwhile. But I will look a bit later this week.

I think I'll need to
  - set up some noise-options for each plectrum track (fairly easy),
  - save the current chord positions (well, maybe just string 6, or whatever the lowest one is) so it can be checked (fairly easy),
  - when I new chord is started it's just a matter of applying a noise if some conditions set in the options are true (fairly easy),
  - put it all together so that it works (not easy!).

Again, more suggestions here are welcome!

bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 09:10:28 PM »

Good news for fret noise fans ... MMA plectrum tracks now support this. I will be releasing a "developer" version in the next week or so. Will let you all know about the momentous event here Smiley

Right now it's being tested by a few courageous folk. Not all that difficult once I started to do the code. Just a matter of tracking some history Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: