Kara-Moon Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:04:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Demon  (Read 6145 times)
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« on: August 23, 2015, 05:17:32 PM »

As most of you probably know there has been no music posted by Pumping Station Road (PSR) in a long time.  The reason is that one member, DannyW was, a very very heavy drinker, i.e. a big time alcoholic.  About two years ago he was found laying on the floor of his apartment.   As he lived alone no one knows how long he was there.  He was rushed to the hospital where brain damage was diagnosed.  He is now in a nursing home. He has lost a lot of his memory and he will never get out of the home.  He was only 50 when this happened.

This was devastating news for all of us but it hit BobH and StevenS, the other members of PSR, extremely hard.  They had been friends for 40+ years while I only knew DannyW for about 5 years.  Thus it took a long time for this song to develop.  BobH had written some lyrics a couple of years ago but we could not find the right venue for them.

I was listening to Annie Sellick's "Is You Is Or Is You Not My Baby/Hit the Road Jack" and a light bulb when off, OK I know Peggy Lee had this bass line first.  So I quickly jotted down some chords in Band-in-a-Box and wrote a few lyrics.  BobH came over, liked it so we finished the chord progression, finished the lyrics and laid down the vocal and lead guitar parts the same afternoon.

An interesting afternoon it was!  BobH, our usual lead singer, was having some timing issues with the vocal so I sang the song to give him the idea.  He said 'That's it, we are keeping this track.  You are the singer for this song"!
I replied "OK if I'm going to sing you are playing the lead guitar part".  Thus I am singing and he is playing lead.  It is his first time recording a lead guitar part but what you hear was in one take, as was my vocal.

The BiaB style is Laid Back Blues (65RS).
We deleted everything but the drums.  I modified the drums to better fit the song.

BobH is playing the lead guitar.
I am playing the rhythm guitar, bass guitar, and my keyboard controller using a B3 sound.

Demon in a bottle

verse 1
a demon - in a bottle
got a hold - on me
that demon - in a bottle
wont - set me free

verse 2
that demon - in the bottle
stopped the only girl - that could be my wife
that demon - in the bottle
also took - away my life.

Chorus
I'm staring out my window
I'm only 50 years old
No place to walk no place to go 
just sitting  here in this old folks home
no where to go no where to go

Verse 3
now  I can't have any more
cause they found me laying on the floor
now I can't recall
anything any more

Chorus - Ending - that demon 3x
that took my life

* Demon.mp3 (5880.05 KB - downloaded 270 times.)

The older I get the better I was!
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 08:42:52 PM »

Mario,

My deepest sympathies to the loss to you and your buddies(I can relate quite a bit)...as my father is an alcoholic(to this very day)and he's 83,both of my brothers were alcoholics,I have 2 cousins and an uncle who are alcoholics(one of whom is dead & he was really young...in his early 30's) and I currently have a dear lady friend who was formerly a raging alcoholic,but now...she drinks moderately(don't really understand that one.)

About the song; clearly...quite an enormous undertaking & an obvious amount of work went into this creation and it shows.Masterfully arranged,instrumentation is impressive and I love your vocal track,as it's very soulful and I love the fx! Afro

Top marks all around,to you and your buddies...definitely a production to be proud of. Shocked
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 11:03:53 PM »

Not exactly my taste in music for a sunny Sunday afternoon. Sorry.

But, this is well done and full of emotion. Very well done.

I just get angry when I hear stories like this. Damned booze has ruined so many lives and will continue to do so until we, society, can get a grip on the problems drinking causes. Or is it the problems causing drinking? Don't know. I just know that I don't drink or do drugs. Period. And I feel much better because of that decision ... I figure I have few enough brain cells to get me though life, that I don't need to go out of my way to bugger them up. I rant.

My sincere condolences. And congratulations on finding a fine way to deal with the sorrow. Hope some other poor soul finds a solution and hope in the message. After all, if not hope ... what's the point of music?

Best,

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 05:41:50 PM »

In every respect, a first class tribute to your friend. That's all I can say.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 07:21:31 PM »

Thank you very much for your comments, I greatly appreciate them.

DannyW also came from a family of alcoholics.  His brothers, father, uncles and grandfathers were also alcoholics.

I will be sure to share your response with BobH.

Thanx again.

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 07:27:14 PM »

Bvdp, no this is not a song for a sunny Sunday afternoon that's for sure.

I don't and never did to drugs.  I haven't smoked in 40 years.  I quit chasing women 51 years ago.  I do however enjoy my beer.  However I drink no where near the amount that DannyW did.

It would be super if someone quit heavily drinking after listening to this however most people have that 'it can't happen to me' attitude. 

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 07:27:59 PM »

Thanx Will for the extremely nice comment.

bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 08:30:07 PM »

It would be super if someone quit heavily drinking after listening to this however most people have that 'it can't happen to me' attitude. 

Ahh, but we can dream, can't we!

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: