Kara-Moon Forum
April 18, 2024, 08:49:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: It Ain't Raining  (Read 5848 times)
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« on: March 14, 2016, 04:37:15 PM »

JonD and I reworked Rainy Night in Georgia.  We dumped the sax and replaced it with oboe, bassoon, trumpets, and trombones.  We also wrote our own lead parts just in case we want to post it in other sites.  I brought the wav file into Audacity and speed it up some.

Please give me your honest opinion of this song. 

* It Ain't Raining.mp3 (6352.1 KB - downloaded 287 times.)

The older I get the better I was!
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 06:18:42 PM »

Okay, this is much better. And, more interesting.

I have to insert that after listening to the 1st attempt, I orchestrated the song as a playalong using MMA. I certainly did not spend the time you guys have ... just a one-off quicky. Couple of things I discovered:

- the song we know as sung by Brook Benton is quite different from the sheet music. In fact, if you play the sheet in a lot of places you don't know that the songs are the same. This is nothing new Smiley

- I find that the "best" tempo for me is around 80 to 85 bpm. Lots faster that Benton and your renditions. All a matter of taste. And how good you are ... it's much harder to play something like this slow.

Back to It Ain't Raining.

I really, really like the intro.

At 0:14 you come in with a bassoon??? which is way-too-loud and way-too-low. You might want to try something like a trumpet. Higher tones carry a melody better.

The rest of the piece is just fine. I find it a bit over-orchestrated for my tastes. But, I think you're trying to do a big orchestra sound. So that's okay.

A few times you've using a wah-wah (like 2:28) and again near the end. I don't think it fits the overall mood.

My $0.25 suggestions: Speed it up, cut out some of the electronica, and raise the apparent pitch.

Hope this helps!

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 06:55:29 PM »

Thanx so much for your honest opinion.

I did come in with an oboe and bassoon lead at 0:14.  I will keep the trumpet in mind for the next time. (I'm going to let this song set for a while, I'm tired of working on it). 

You are right I was trying for a big orchestra sound.

Wah-wah like sound?  At 2:28 the trombones come in so is that what you are talking about?  Or is it the strings?  If it is the strings there is nothing that I can do as that is in the patches from Kirk Hunter's Diamond Orchestra.

I can't speed it up anymore than it is as the files are now wav files.  When I speed it up I get a lot of artifacts thrown in and it sounds terrible. Could that be the wah-wah you are hearing?  Artifacts from speeding up the wav file?

I think that instead of beating this horse to death I will take your excellent suggestions and apply them to my next orchestral attempt.

I thank you very much for your honesty and suggestions.

bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 02:07:00 AM »

I really do wish some other folk would opine on this. I feel like I'm giving a bunch of negativity based on my own listening preferences. Others will have totally different perspectives. And, there is a very good chance than I'm in a minority of one.

No wah-wah at 0:14. That is the basson/whatever patch. I just think it's too "heavy".

The wah is at 2:26. Could be artifacting. Happens again 4:00.

Best,

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 12:16:02 PM »

I appreciate your input and in fact I agree with what you have said on both songs.

After careful headphone listening I think what I am hearing is in fact artifacts. 

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 09:24:14 AM »

Just found time to listen to this.
I can see what you are trying to achieve, but think you need to remember that 'spaces' are also an important part of music!
I also noticed the artefacts from the speed-up. I find that is only really successful with uncomplicated sounds.

Still, keep trying. The only way to improve is practice Cheesy

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 05:21:39 PM »

thanx Will for taking the time to listen and commenting.

Yes the only way to learn and improve is to practice.  This was my first attempt at a full orchestra song and I did learn a lot by doing it but now it is time to move on.  I will use what I did learn and I will try another full orchestra song in the future with hopefully better results.

I appreciate all of the comments.

bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 06:45:11 PM »

Love the suggestion about silence. Here's a quote to get your day started:

Music is the silence between the notes.
                      Claude Debussy

The more I think on this, the more profound it becomes.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: