Kara-Moon Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:53:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A new approach  (Read 5030 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« on: March 31, 2016, 11:36:32 PM »

As part of our quest for the best possible sound we are planning an enhancement that passes bits through a grading process (the well known 'Enharmonic Bit Comparator' - version 33)* thus ensuring that any bit asymmetry is removed. In laymans terms, this has a heater to agitate the bits, then an amplifier to highlight the errors, and rectifiers to remove them. Symmetrical bits produce significantly less quantum noise so reduce the possibility of alignment boundary collisions, giving a much warmer, smoother presentation.

Such advanced technology has a cost of course, so to gain the greatest benefit from this process it is necessary for Yoshimi to now use only audiophile grade bits, rather than the standard ones and zeros present in ordinary programs. Bit quality is heavily dependent on the source so we recently did a line-by-line review of the code, feeding it to our Delta Orthogonal Grader.

Finally, there is the open-source BitShine engine (BS). This 'clarifies' individual zeroes and ones passing through it, making them sharper, so should give greater precision when passed on to the DA converter. This is available under the 'Multi User Grant' license. As it appears to be GPL compatible we are looking at it for possible inclusion.

I should point out that there is only a narrow window for discussion as we expect to be committed by lunch time today.

* EBC33 - Mullard

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 01:32:22 AM »

Sorry, Dude, but since it is March 31 here for another 6 hours I'll be unable to contribute to this discussion. But, even so, I've heard that this process is better when it is sent to tape first. Doesn't matter at which point tape is used, so long as it is the chain the magic sound of tape will enhance it.

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 07:14:21 AM »

Nice one ...
very technically explicit on this auspicious day  Evil

elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 05:06:00 PM »

Being an audiophile myself,I find this process thrilling(despite that it's way over my head!) Embarrassed Grin
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 06:16:37 PM »

A word of  caution, don't set the heater slider to high as those over agitated bits can come back and byte you Wink

The older I get the better I was!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: