Kara-Moon Forum
April 18, 2024, 01:54:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Close, but no cigar  (Read 2945 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« on: March 31, 2017, 11:15:00 PM »

There has been much argument as to whether a graphical interface is best with independent windows, or with a single window (with or without tabs). Here in the Yoshimi workshop, the only type of arguments we like are the startup CLI ones! Therefore we've been working on a quite novel idea.

This came about when one of our team (who still uses a CRT monitor) found that a cheap ionizer dramatically reduced the static discharges he kept getting. He quickly realised that ionization could be used to control both static attraction and repulsion. Thinking there must be an enhanced IT equivalent he hacked up some software ionization code.

The idea actually worked. Damp down one window's positive charges and the other's negative component and they'd immediately stick together - overlapping (trying to balance their fields). He called this a 'Polarising Object Stratifier'. Making the windows repel was a bit of a problem as they tended to get a bit agressive and would fly right off the edges of the screen.

We were a bit surprised when Mary spoke up.
    "It's on a CRT right? So why not use an ion trap magnet?"
We didn't know she was old enough to remember them (nobody was brave enough to ask her age). Then after a pause.
    "Everything else is software these days, so why not a software IoT magnet?"
She was on a roll now, and seeing the disbelief on our faces, said,
   "Oh you wimps! Can't even sort out this P.O.S. I'll code it myself with Ada."

What can I say? She built it, and it worked. However, the IoT magnet had to be treated with care - it wouldn't do for it to interfere with other unrelated systems. As the associated hardware was designed and built by most of the team we decided to call it the Joint Unified Node Controller.

Things were going really well. Everyone thought putting P.O.S. code into IoT J.U.N.C. was a great idea. With some fine tuning of both electrostatic and magnetic fields in  windows, Bonded Ordinate Tracking 'nets' could be made to attach to each other as a single blob, discretely slip under to work unseen, or tuck themselves almost out of sight into the corners. They jiggled a bit - rather adding to the charm. The PR and marketing departments were ecstatic.

That was yesterday.

Anyone remember the thunderstorm? We'll never forget it! There was a lightning strike almost directly overhead.

We'd left the unit on test overnight and think all those finely balanced forces were suddenly released, and at the same time the strength of the IoT magnet must have increased by many orders of magnitude. Fortunately there was nobody in the building. However, when we went in this morning, we were sorry to see the kit had sort-of imploded.

That thunderstorm must have really been something. It seems to have taken out our ISP for several hours, though he rang me around 2am ranting about something called a zero day, and service denial. I told him I hadn't a clue what he was talking about and that I was sure he'd sort out whatever his problem was during the morning.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: