Kara-Moon Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:00:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's talk about our gear  (Read 5598 times)
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« on: August 04, 2007, 08:35:54 AM »

I'm allways interested in what people use in there studio

I'll start.
I'm a hardware fan but limit my setup to tools that I realy know well.
Hardware synths : limited to 2 pieces
- Roland XV-5050 : I like this sound module, I have it for years now and tweaked allmost all factory patches to my likeness.
- Clavia Nord Modular G2X : My workbeast Smiley If I can't build the sound that I want, I know that I'm in trouble. The G2X is basicaly an empty modular box, you build your modular synth in software on you laptop connected to the G2X by USB, the great thing is that every modification you do is done in real time on the G2, you don't need to transfert to the synth first.
I'm not using him only as synth but allso as FX unit. The G2X has audio in and you can rout this audio trough a modular setup. Perfect to build your proper Fx chain or to build a nasty vocoder...

Sequencer
I just don't like to compose on a PC !
The exception is a software from pgmusic called Band in a box. I realy think this is the most underestimated software on the internet. I use it since years to lay down some musical ideas on which I can expand myself.
It allways makes me laugh if people on other forums (like kvr) describe it as just a toy for noobs that don't know anything about music, they have no idea of what they are talking about.

I actualy don't do a lot of sequencing, most parts i play live and record the audio.
But when I need a sequencer, i use my Yamaha QY700 vwhich is a hardware sequencer. Pretty old but IMHO the best sequencer ever made and the functionality still beats some software sequencers.

Instruments :
I use a GEM SK760 as master keyboard, pretty old too and not because it is that good but because I'm used to it. It has a semi weighted keyboard with adjustable velocity curve.
Bass : My workhorse is a Line6 VARIAX Bass, perfect to record bass since it has a DI box with line level. I won't pretend that all the emulations it has are perfect but they are pretty good and usable in all styles of music.
My Yamaha EZ-AG : a guitar midi controller. Initialy build as a learning tool, but if you know how to use it, it turns out as a good midi instrument.
Yamaha WX 5 & soundmodule VLm70 : The tools of my lady Smiley

Recording :
Again, I don't record on a PC, I use a BOSS BR660 8 track recorder. It's simple to use, has everything I need and is easy to use. Has allso excelent AD convertors. Not realy suited if you do a lot of sequencing since it doesn't have MIDI sync.

The studio:
I'm lucky to live in a big house with a lot of rooms and all the kids are adults now and left home (finally  Grin ). I've started to put all my gear in a room, which I called my homestudio. Recently I dismounted everything and got some professionals in to give it an accoustical treatment. The best investement I ever did, it is amazing what those guys can do with a limited budget. It's allso amazing what we (musicians) don't know about accoustics Smiley . No I can call my room, a real studio  Grin

Software :
For my litle electronic experiments I use my laptop. I'm a long time Buzz user and recently switched to Renoise. Since I'm away from home pretty often I consider it as the perfect tool for 'on the road', it is amazing what you can do now with just a litle laptop and how you can use them everywhere (on the train, plain,....).
Buzz and Renoise aren't conventional sequencers or DAW software but trackers, just another way to make music.
My laptop is a Sony VAIO VGN-TX1XP, one of those mini laptops. I can use it everywhere and it has about 6 hours of autonomy ! Perfect for on the road.

Final mix I do on my PC and I use.... Audacity, this can sound surprising since there a lot of full fledge daw software packages on the market now. But, again, I use the tools I know and I allways say 'if you can't do it in Audacity' change hobbies Cheesy

That basicaly it, beside tons of cables, a couples of static and dynamic mikes and a VTB pre-amp.

Pff a long post  Roll Eyes Cool

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 12:25:25 PM »

I'm a bit different. My main DAW is an eMachines T2625 2gHz Athlon system that I maxxed out on RAM and drives. Works great for recording. I use Powertracks Pro Audio for recording everything (midi and Audio) thru a Delta 1010lt card via a Behringer MX3282a mixer. I run the 8 subgroup outputs directly into the Delta 1010lt card. I use a Boss SE-50 in the effects send for times when a realtime effect is needed, like if the singer needs to hear reverb bu I want to record dry. I use a couple little amps daisychained for headphone feeds when needed; I need to improve this area soon.

I use a Roland Juno-G as the main keyboard, a Roland W-30, Juno 106 and EP-760 for other sounds. I also have an SBLive in the computer for soundfonts when needed.
 Bass is an old Steinberger, yeah the funny looking one, about 20 years old.
Guitar is a Strat (real) about 15 years old now.
 Most of the time the two of those are recorded thru a GMX210 amp, either mic'd or direct out. Once in a while I tinker with the V-Amp for a certain sound.
Also play a Holton MF horn (trumpet).
 Mics are pretty standard- Behringer B1, Shure SM57, AT P325, etc.
 Right now they usually get recorded thru the 3282a preamps. Once in a while I'll get lazy (if I'm doing a vocal track by myself) and use the mic direct into the Delta 1010lt XLR connection.  Just ordered one of the ART tube preamps so I'll be trying that out next week on vocals and bass.

I use a TON of plugins. I have a long list. I'll try as many as I can and keep the ones I like, and pay for the ones that I use a lot. I use OBTune for tuning, best deal around for a while there, discontinued now.

I have a set of M-Audio LX4 monitors (2.1 system) and a set of JBL monitors (2-way) in the studio room, with a seperate set of JBL's (three way) ran by a Nakamichi amp in the living room for final testing. Also love my AKG K240s headphones for critical editing. And recently got a set of ATH M40fs headphones that I'm still not sure about, although my dughter seems to like them a lot.

Our band (simpletonguru.com) has a garage we conditioned for practice and recording. It has a P4 system with the same Powertracks software and Delta 1010lt card, but gets fed from a 48 point patchbay I donated, along with my older MX802 mixer for decent preamps and a Peavey 12 channel for more inputs. I often use this locale as a remote recording spot when hired by local bands, since I only have to move my mixer there and hook into the patchbay; everything else is pretty much set up, including a Roland XP10, Yamaha Motif, Yamaha drumset and BlueSky 2.1 monitors.Great monitors.  At that location we have an 8 output Behringer headphone amp which I'd like to add to my home setup- great headphone amp.
 There's also a full PA setup at that location so if a band wants to record with a live feel we can accomodate!

Boy do I ramble on about equipment, eh?

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 06:31:52 PM »

I have sort of a mix of hardware and software and try to use all of it.

But hey, seems like when you look around, all of a sudden you have a s*** load of stuff! Too much, really.

Computer; Dell 3ghz and 3 gigs of ram and a couple large HDs

Sequencer; I use Cakewalk's Project 5, but will be purchasing Sonar very soon. Way to many VST's, so my favorites; Dimension Pro, NI's B4, Kontakt 2, and Battery 3, Garritan PO, Lounge Lizard 3, minimonsta, Ozone 3, SoundForge9, Vintage Warmer, and lots of pianos  Roll Eyes

Controllers; I mainly use my CME UF8. A very nice (when its working right, cause manufacturer support is nil) 88-key weighted keyboard with aftertouch. But also use my QS7 in the studio and add my Korg X2 (mostly for organ sounds) when I'm doing the occasional sit in. Also have a couple older Alesis and Korg keyboards up in the garage rafters. I use a Korg pad kontrol to play in drums to the sequencer.

Speakers; Behringer Truth 8". Not bad for the price.

Amps; keyboard amp is a Roland KC-550. My guitar amp is a little Vox Valvetronix and I use a Podxt when I play through the PC. Guitars; a Mexican made Strat, a Yamaha accoustic/electric, a LP knockoff I keep at work to practice at lunch time and a white Gibson LP Studio (really like that guitar).

Throw in some misc mics, pedals, gadgets, and other vst's and that's about it. Now if I could just play and use them all well  Roll Eyes

Hey rharv, sounds like a nice studio set up there. How about the Art tube preamp for $29. Gonna get one too for the heck of it.

rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 06:37:41 PM »

How can you not get one? Hard to find a bad review on it. I have one ordered..
Can't hurt to have another weapon in your arsenal.

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 09:55:47 AM »

Heu..... rharv, my lady thinks that I have to much toys
Can I send here a couple of days in hollidays to your place, she might change here mind  Shocked Grin

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: