Kara-Moon Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:11:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Git repo  (Read 2617 times)
sciurius

« on: December 30, 2018, 10:48:11 PM »

Can I (we?) help you to get MMA on a GitHub or similar git repo?
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 12:31:55 AM »

Can I (we?) help you to get MMA on a GitHub or similar git repo?

I'm quite aware of how to do it. But, I'm not motivated to do it for a number of reasons:

1. I really don't want to lose control of my code. Yeah, I'm a control freak,

2. And if (1) didn't matter (and it might not) I'm not sure how this would benefit me or the world. It would mean that I'd have to be more conscious of posting new code to github ... and I doubt I'd do that anymore than I now put up devel code on my own website.

I'm sure I don't understand things these days, and github is one Smiley

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
sciurius

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 07:38:02 AM »

I have many of my open source tools on Github. All my recent work is on Github, and every time I need to make modifications to one of my older tools I first take the time and effort to put it on Github -- which often involves migrating from SCCS, RCS, or CVS to Git.

Having your software on Github in no way means losing control. The fact that anyone can clone it and modify their clone is no different from today's situation, where anyone can unpack the distribution sources on a PC and start hacking. The only thing required to control the MMA 'brand' is to add a license restriction that a derived application may never be called MMA. This is a quite common restriction. And no other developer can make changes to your repository unless you explicitly give her commit rights.

The major advantages of having your development on Github are known. You will not lose your work when your hard disk crashes. Participating users can benefit from enhancements and fixes before they are officially released. And, quite important, when someone makes a fix or enhancement, it can be passed to you in the form of a ready-to-apply pull request. This is much easier and less error prone than having to say “change this and that somewhere around line 207 in parse.py”, and increases the chance that a modification will be accepted into the main sources.

Having a centralized issue tracker is useful as well.

As for being more conscious of posting new code, people running MMA from the Github repo know they are running a development version that can break without notice. Using development branches reduces even these risks.

So I would say: Go for it!

sciurius

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 06:19:43 PM »

FYI:
https://blog.github.com/2019-01-07-new-year-new-github/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: