Kara-Moon Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:35:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crash with Chord Name Insertion  (Read 8385 times)
sciurius

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 07:27:07 AM »

Not sure what the problem is with grooves changing ...

Time 6
  Groove G13
  Lyrics Chord=On Sequence=1,3
  Am Bm
  Groove G16
  Lyrics Chord=On Sequence=1,6
  Am Bm
  Groove G14
  Lyrics Chord=On Sequence=1,4
  Am Bm
  Groove G16
  Am Bm
  Groove G3
  Lyrics Chord=On Sequence=3
  D7
  Groove G16
  Am Bm

As you can see:
  • I have to repeat it for every groove change;
  • I must include information that should be private to the groove;
  • It clobbers the song source.
I suppose that grabbing a TRACK sequence definition and applying that to lyric positioning would be okay.

It would eliminate duplication of private information:

Time 6
  Groove G13
  Lyrics Chord=On $_Chord_Sequence
  Am Bm
  Groove G16
  Am Bm
  Groove G14
  Am Bm
  Groove G16
  Am Bm
  Groove G3
  D7
  Groove G16
  Am Bm

It still clobbers the source.

Define the lyric distribution to $Chord_Sequence (whatever that might be).
        Okay, all we're doing is taking the offsets out of the seq and setting "print points" for
        them.

Exactly.

$Chord_Sequence might be a 2 or 4 or more sequence. Now, it's getting more complicated ...
         do we set up the lyric distribution for multi-seq points, or just take one (first?) of the
         pattern?

Not sure what you mean. Do you have an example?

This still leaves the problem of a naive user setting the Sequence to, for example, beats 1,2,3,4 and
         then changing the TIME to 3 or 5 (bigger is less of a problem). Guess we'd just need to issue
         an error.

Possibly. OTOH if chords can be placed correctly, I think this should also be possible for the chord name lyrics.

Still one can wonder if it is worth to put so much effort into a feature that will probably hardly ever be used (but I may be wrong... I've been wrong before).
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 04:43:33 PM »

I'm wrong more often than I'm right Smiley Mind you, that's gotten me this far in life and it's usually fun!

For now, I'm going to make a note in my wish list and leave things, which are working, for now.

BTW, there are other ways to look at this issue. One might be to actually set points to insert the chords and not rely on some fault algorithm to do it. How about:

/// to print chord meta data at 1 and 3
   Lyric Chord=On Datapoints=1,3
   10 Cm / Em

/// to link chord meta data points to whatever the chord-foo track is doing
   Lyric Chord=On Datapoints=Chord_Foo
   /// and, if the groove changes and Chord_foo is no longer active...??

/// to link to a mythical definition
    Lyric Chord=On Datapoints=Bass Sequence B1234
   /// will need some parsing help. The sequence will continue to exist after groove changes
   /// but ... TIME changes??

I keep harping on time changes. If you define the points for the meta data (no matter how you do it) to
1,2,3,4 in a TIME 4 setting and now change to TIME 3 ... what do we do with meta point 4? If we change to TIME 8, what happens to 5..8? Ignored again?

I keep thinking that the easy way is to simply distribute things across the bar like we currently do.

Don't forget, you can always make things a bit nicer by setting the chord names in lyric text. Only problem here is that you need to do it 2x and no transpose Smiley

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
sciurius

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2019, 07:23:19 AM »

/// to link chord meta data points to whatever the chord-foo track is doing
   Lyric Chord=On Datapoints=Chord_Foo
   /// and, if the groove changes and Chord_foo is no longer active...??

What if the groove changes and Chord-Foo is redefined with another sequence...??

For this reason I had an explicit Lyrics setting following each groove change in one of my examples.

/// to link to a mythical definition
    Lyric Chord=On Datapoints=Bass Sequence B1234
   /// will need some parsing help. The sequence will continue to exist after groove changes

Not sure if this is useful. Remember we're dealing with chord name lyrics and I'm pretty sure in this case it only makes sense to put the lyrics to the chord sequence and not to some other sequence. 

I keep harping on time changes. If you define the points for the meta data (no matter how you do it) to
1,2,3,4 in a TIME 4 setting and now change to TIME 3

Personally, I would never do this. When TIME changes, new grooves come into play.

Don't forget, you can always make things a bit nicer by setting the chord names in lyric text. Only problem here is that you need to do it 2x and no transpose Smiley

IIUC lyrics can only be placed at measures so there is no way to have the chord name displayed at a particular beat/chord change...

For now, I'm going to make a note in my wish list and leave things, which are working, for now.

Seconded.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: