Kara-Moon Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:49:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Capo  (Read 9747 times)
sciurius

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2019, 08:31:38 AM »

Hmm, I'm quite sure I attached the patch as well... Retry.

The impact of the Plectrum Shape patch is that if (and only if) you define a chord shape for a particular chord, that shape will be used for the chord. It overrules the shape that would otherwise be calculated by MMA. So the shape should fit the current tuning and capo -- which is exactly the purpose of defining a shape.

Sigh.... Posting fails since the patch file has extension .patch, which is refused. Changing the file name to plectrumshape.patch.txt and retrying... fails since it claims the article was already posted.

* plectrumshape.patch.txt (9.61 KB - downloaded 220 times.)
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2019, 05:03:44 PM »

This time the attachment worked fine. I will test it out later and let you know.

I want to add a bit about "Allgrooves" as well. I think my earlier posting might have been a bit misleading.

AllGrooves applies to ALL the grooves which have been loaded. Assuming you have grooves "A", "A1", "A2" in a file called a.mma and that file is registered in the lib manager, calling up any 1 of the grooves will load all of them since the file has to be read. So,

Groove A
    AllGrooves something

will apply "something" to A, A1 and A2.

If this looks a bit odd, there's another way.

INCLUDE a
    AllGrooves ....

Should do the same thing.

And, then there is "USE" as well Smiley

Any method should make it a bit less "bad feeling" about applying AllGrooves after envoking Groove.

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2019, 04:48:09 PM »

Patch applied. No problems.

And, yes there is a difference Smiley Subtle, but I certain can hear the difference!

So, now that this is in ... I guess I need to write a doc for it?

I am still troubled that setting a CAPO changes the actual chord being played. Yes, this will be covered in the docs ... WARNING: If you have defined a chord shape CAPO will change the actual chord generated for chords with shapes. Chords without a shape defined will NOT change. Etc, etc. I'm not sure how this can be nicely worked around ... on a "real" guitar ALL the chords will be transposed. One solution is to disable CAPO when ANY chord shape is defined and force the use of transpose ... but, that might be too big a hammer??

sciurius

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2019, 06:30:04 PM »

I guess I need to write a doc for it?

Shall I make a start that you can integrate in the docs?

I am still troubled that setting a CAPO changes the actual chord being played.

Wouldn't it be better then to ignore CAPO settings for defined shapes? A CAPO setting serves no other purpose than to change the sound without changing the chord pitch. Defining a shape is another way to control the sound of the chord. Since the CAPO doesn't transpose it can be ignored with defined shapes.
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2019, 06:45:31 PM »

I guess I need to write a doc for it?

Shall I make a start that you can integrate in the docs?

Yes, that would be wonderful! Just send it to me via email. Plain text is best.

I am still troubled that setting a CAPO changes the actual chord being played.

Wouldn't it be better then to ignore CAPO settings for defined shapes? A CAPO setting serves no other purpose than to change the sound without changing the chord pitch. Defining a shape is another way to control the sound of the chord. Since the CAPO doesn't transpose it can be ignored with defined shapes.
[/quote]

Yes, I think so. Would you ignore, error or warn? At least with a default warn we could set a "ignore warn" flag. I am just trying to avoid the situation where someone defines a few shapes (maybe in a lib file), applies a capo and finds that some chords "sound funny".

Great work. Thanks.

sciurius

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2019, 07:54:38 PM »

I think the risks are low. It is straightforward to explain. Plectrum calculates 'shapes' (think: fingers on frets) for chords using the chord notes, tuning, capo and barre settings. If, however, a shape is defined, the calculation is bypassed and only the tuning and the shape determines the notes that will sound.
I see no need for a warning since it may be useful to use capo/barre for some chords while using shapes for others.
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2019, 08:21:01 PM »

Okay. Let's make sure it's in the docs ... that way if there is an error we just say "but it's in the fine manual".

Sadly, I know guitar players who get confused by real capos on real guitars Smiley

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: