Kara-Moon Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:59:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Plectrum sound sustaining  (Read 6924 times)
sciurius

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2019, 09:12:05 AM »

If we're going for the MUTE command (whatever name it will have) just forget anything I said about $_Plectrum_Sustain  Grin.

This is the background: I have a groove GA that plucks the A string (5) plus some higher notes (strings 3,2,1). Then I switch to a groove GE that plucks the G on the E string (6) plus some notes (strings 3,2,1). In this particular case I do not want the A note on the A string to keep sounding, since it botches with the G note. This is a typical situation where a guitar player manually silences the 5th string before hitting the note on the 6th string. To obtain this functionality when switching grooves no longer silences sounding strings the MUTE command is applied:

Plectrum Mute 5

This mutes the 5th string (and only the 5th). In full:

Groove GA
       27   Am
    Groove GE
    Plectrum Mute 5
       28   G

Sidenote: I think Mute 5 is easier than Mute - x - - - - but that's juts bikeshedding  Wink Either form will do. Having said that, it may be interesting to have a generalized 'range' notation like 3,2 or 1,4-5 etc. This may be useful when defining sequences, e.g.

Sequence { 1 0 6:80 5-3,1:60 2:70 }
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2019, 04:29:13 PM »

Does this not make it hard on the player in that he now has to remember that he has string 5 sounding and needs to stop/mute it when switching grooves? Whether or not '5' is sounding will depend on which chord is playing, won't it? Or are we talking about finger picking only?

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
sciurius

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2019, 05:42:58 PM »

Yes, sounding and silencing applies to Plectrum only. It doesn't make sense for other track types.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: