Kara-Moon Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:32:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MIDI to mma file conversion, is it possible ?  (Read 2810 times)
falcon74

« on: December 06, 2019, 06:30:35 PM »

If one were to generate the percussive rhythm in a graphical/visual way, say using Hydrogen drum machine and export the song as MIDI, would there be a way to automagically convert that into text that could then be added into a Groove ?

Since the Yamaha Style files are only little more than MIDI files with some meta-data thrown-in, that identifies the parts of MIDI that serve as segments -- and we have ys2mma to convert from sty to mma, could similar thing be done with MIDI on PC ?
sciurius

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 07:42:27 PM »

Interesting...

I think the hardest part is to identify the patterns in the midi so you can turn that into MMA sequences. I don't know the internals of the Yamaha Style files but I guess the meta-data you mention describes the pattern structure so you can use this instead of having to figure out yourself.
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 11:30:09 PM »

I have a little program that is quite ugly and does rudimentary conversions. I don't like it enough to post it, but if it will help someone, send me PM and I'll email it to you. Honestly, but the time you finish screwing around fixing the output of something like this it's probably faster to just write it from scratch. But, your mileage may vary.

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
falcon74

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 05:06:54 AM »

Interesting...

I think the hardest part is to identify the patterns in the midi so you can turn that into MMA sequences. I don't know the internals of the Yamaha Style files but I guess the meta-data you mention describes the pattern structure so you can use this instead of having to figure out yourself.

@sciurius, indeed the metadata as I understood (read a little about the SFF1 format) that is predominantly of interest to MMA would be:
- The time-duration (begin-end) of midi event that signify the pattern segments like Intro-1, Intro-2, Main-1, Main-2, Fill-1, Fill-2, Outtro-1, Outtro-2 (or similar names, I keep confusing).
- Human readable description of the style (genre, perhaps a valid BPM range)

I could, try to convert the exported midi into a Yamaha SFF1 style, it is a bit more manual work, few more discrete manual steps using different Windows applications (which is what I am trying to avoid).
falcon74

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 05:07:28 AM »

I have a little program that is quite ugly and does rudimentary conversions. I don't like it enough to post it, but if it will help someone, send me PM and I'll email it to you. Honestly, but the time you finish screwing around fixing the output of something like this it's probably faster to just write it from scratch. But, your mileage may vary.

Thanks @bvdp. I was pleasantly surprised with the initial result of ys2mma on a PSR550 style. Let me drop you a PM for the little program you refer to.
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 04:25:09 PM »

And he is now testing it Smiley

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: