Kara-Moon Forum
April 20, 2024, 10:27:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Understanding MIDI (especially on Linux) and troubleshooting  (Read 1925 times)
falcon74

« on: December 11, 2019, 05:13:37 AM »

Having spent an evening trying to get Linuxband to talk to Qsynth using many hit-and-trial methods, decided to do it the hard way, i.e. by understanding the Linux MIDI workings a bit better. Especially, one of those things that confuses people are the abstraction layers, sound managers and how they interact -- especially given that there are multiple alternative ways of achieving the end goal of getting some sound out (or in), but with some side-effects (or not). How JACK, ALSA, PulseAudio, OSS interact, for what all, why is somewhat of a deep rabbit-hole that can take you to Wonderland or Oz or Narnia.

Two things which are really handy are:

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 03:09:39 PM »

Yes it can be quite confusing. However the actual software to hardware interface is ALSA. the rest sits on top. Personally, for my music machine. I never want pulse audio, so I actually delete the server (leaving the client there so that the other apps don't complain - just remain blissfully silent Smiley

I then either use ALSA directly, or Jack for more complex inter-connections.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: