Kara-Moon Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:18:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Error  (Read 7258 times)
Piteur

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2020, 09:15:40 PM »

Code:
When MMA starts it checks for initialization files. Only the first found file is processed. The following locations/files are checked (in order):

mmarc — this is a normal file in the current directory.
    ~/.mmarc — this is an “invisible” file in the users home directory.
    /usr/local/etc/mmarc
    /etc/mmarc

Only the first two are usable with mma -V <groove>, right? At least without having to write SUDO...

I'm going to test the second option tomorrow, so.

Thank you very much for your patience. And please excuse me for not understanding quickly: English is not at all so familiar to me!

Xubuntu 18.04 LTS
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2020, 10:03:34 PM »

You should be able to read files in /etc or other directories like that. You just can't write to them without being root (sudo). Most of the time you should be able to forget about sudo.

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
sciurius

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2020, 06:14:57 AM »

@piteur: No problem. I recall having some initial problems getting the hang of MMA. But it is worth to spend the effort.

As for using sudo: if you use sudo to run an application that you do not (yet) know you are really in for trouble. Never ever use sudo to run anything unless you know exactly what you are doing.
Piteur

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2020, 12:27:14 PM »

You should be able to read files in /etc or other directories like that. You just can't write to them without being root (sudo). Most of the time you should be able to forget about sudo.

Don't worry: I know perfectly well that…

But since "mma -V" writes temporary files where mmarc is, …

@piteur: No problem. I recall having some initial problems getting the hang of MMA. But it is worth to spend the effort.

I agree with you. Especially since I take great pleasure in discovering MMA.

As for using sudo: if you use sudo to run an application that you do not (yet) know you are really in for trouble. Never ever use sudo to run anything unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Tip well received! But MMA is already a friend!

« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 12:33:31 PM by Piteur » Logged

Xubuntu 18.04 LTS
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2020, 04:02:42 PM »

MMA-2002 writes temporary in the current directory. Nothing to do with where the mmarc is located. The devel version coming out later today will use /tmp, but that is perfectly okay and doesn't require sudo.

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
Piteur

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2020, 09:14:28 AM »

I can't wait to set it up!

Many, many thanks.

Xubuntu 18.04 LTS
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: