Kara-Moon Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:25:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hot!  (Read 1665 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« on: July 19, 2022, 07:20:50 PM »

The temperature here has just broken all UK records, with most of the country just over 40 deg C. Now, I know some places get hotter, but here we simply are not set up for anything like that and it's giving real problems. For a start, hardly anywhere has aircon - we're more used to have to keep our homes warm. Also the rail system is suffering. Again it's all characterised for much lower temperatures. We're also seeing wild fires in places that have never seen anything like these before.
'interesting times' indeed Sad

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2022, 10:50:53 PM »

We were on a temperature roller coaster.  It goes from 85F (29C) to 64F (18C) in one day.  But now we are on a hot and humid streak.  It was 90F (32C) today and tomorrows forecast is for 95F (35C). The humidity was 65% today and it is expected to go higher tomorrow. It is expected to stay like this for the next few days.  Fortunately we have central air.

The older I get the better I was!
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 12:29:59 AM »

Here in SE British Columbia we are pretty fortunate Smiley We had a cool and wet spring and now we are into pretty much normal temps with highs in the mid-30s. The good bit is that we cool off in the night, down to 15 or so.

But, unlike Mario, we don't have the sniffling humidity! So far this year I have not had to turn on our central air ... but I think the higher electric bills are not far off Smiley

BTW, last year we had our hottest temp ever: 41+ near the end of July. It's a record I would like to see stand.

Hope you guys in the heat sink survive and that things return to normal soon! 

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 08:16:08 PM »

Well, It's getting closer to normality now. However, I'm planning on investing in some reflective blinds to throw the light and heat back out of the windows.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2022, 01:27:33 PM »

FWI - One of my sons works with a car racing team and when they are in the garage they take a small tub of ice and put it in front of a fan.  The fan blows cold air on them.

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2022, 01:47:03 PM »

Something very odd. An ice cream van came to our street today, and it suddenly occurred to me we didn't see any at all during the last week. I would have thought they'd make an absolute fortune then! Shocked

- Will
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2022, 03:17:00 PM »

Interesting. 

Maybe their refrigeration units couldn't keep up with the heat?

Here a local grocery store had half of their refrigeration units fail during last week's heat wave. I would hate to guess how much money was lost in the meat department alone not to mention the ice cream section.

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2022, 10:35:32 AM »

Well we're into a second heat wave Sad
It's not forecast to be quite so hot as the last one, but pretty close. I'm better prepared now with temporary 'curtains' made from old white sheets. Prices for curtains and blinds have shot through the roof, so I'll wait till winter before buying any. Roll Eyes

- Will
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2022, 09:26:47 PM »

This heatwave doesn't really phase me at all(I had lived in Florida for 3 years & that is a sweltering hell on earth)....& also having central air in my apartment is a lifesaver.
I really don't mind the heat when I am out & about(but having air-con inside is critical, as I live on the 4th floor with poorly insulated windows.)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: