Kara-Moon Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:06:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  
Author Topic: A new computer - let's load it up!  (Read 99076 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #120 on: January 27, 2008, 07:39:41 PM »

Well it's probably not a bad idea to do a full re-install after your first play time, but I wouldn't have gone to the trouble of a complete disk wipe. Most distros ask you if you want to reformat partitions anyway, and they always reformat the root one - where the main system files are.

As a general rule there is no overhead to having unused programs installed, apart from a very marginal slow-down on first starting - remember there is no registry to get fouled up.

I still haven't been able to make much sense out of Ardour, but have used Audacity quite a lot. I find it very useful for quick editing, 'top-and-tail', haircut (fast lookahead limiter), and normalising amplitudes.

P.S.
Playtime is never 'over' Grin

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2008, 09:55:16 AM »

Well it's probably not a bad idea to do a full re-install after your first play time, but I wouldn't have gone to the trouble of a complete disk wipe. Most distros ask you if you want to reformat partitions anyway, and they always reformat the root one - where the main system files are.

For reasons unclear to me, booting from CD had become problematic  Huh

As a general rule there is no overhead to having unused programs installed, apart from a very marginal slow-down on first starting - remember there is no registry to get fouled up.

Cool!

I still haven't been able to make much sense out of Ardour, but have used Audacity quite a lot. I find it very useful for quick editing, 'top-and-tail', haircut (fast lookahead limiter), and normalising amplitudes.

Once I've learned Ardour, I'm going to try and get it to do everything Audacity has done for me in the past. Flitting back and forth from one tool to another tends to go against my grain Grin

P.S.
Playtime is never 'over' Grin

Don't I know it!

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2008, 10:37:43 AM »

Ardour seems like an ideal recording/mixing/mastering application. If Ardour needs additional capacity to be an effective mastering tool, adding JAMin via JACK may be wise. I'm still not clear as to why one would keep Audacity around

Hmm yes and no....
I'm playing at the moment with ardour and have some first conclusions.
Yes :
It is very powerfull once you get used to it. It works a lot like protools or actually like a hardware mixing desk. Apart from some strange implementation, busses and sends are realy strange in ardour IMHO.
No :
Despite the fact that the latest version is version 2.0, it still has some bugs !
I've lost a complete test project, the project was working fine, saved it and on reload Ardour just said that it couldn't read the project file !
Something i hate obviously, i don't realy trust it at the moment, especialy because there was no reason at all to have a corrupted project file.
Yesterday I found another bug. I tried to bounce a track to audio and Ardour just quit ! No message, no warning just shutdown ?!
Luckily when restarting Ardour, I could reload the project and everything was fine, but still it is a bug.

Don't ditch Audacity yet, you could need it Smiley

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2008, 01:10:54 PM »

Ditch?? Cheesy

Great use of good North American vernacular!

OK, so I'll think of Audacity as a back-up for Ardour.

It seems odd to me that several professional engineers/producers are putting aside ProTools in favour of Ardour because of its versatility and stability. Be sure to keep me informed about Ardour's performance - I'm hoping these are just initial difficulties that crop up as the system "settles in".

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #124 on: April 20, 2008, 12:12:19 PM »

After a few months of intermittent tinkering with Ardour, I can start to see the general shape of the program, and it is massive Shocked
With my severely limited background in music-making software, there was really no opportunity for intuitive leaps. So, slogging away at the manual, going at it in little bits - and taking long breaks between sessions to let the ideas settle into some kind of cohesive order - has proven to be my most productive strategy.

Suffice to say that as I'm finally grasping the larger concepts involved, it's becoming clear that now  the real work begins: learning the fine points.
Good thing I'm so pig-headed wOO
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 12:51:43 PM by Oren » Logged

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #125 on: April 20, 2008, 12:45:25 PM »

True it is massive, and once you get the concept it's very powerfull.
Now you'll have to learn the thinks not to do Smiley

1 -> Don't rename a track once you have audio on it. The perfect way to corrupt your project file  Evil

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #126 on: April 20, 2008, 12:54:30 PM »

Let me write that down.... Cheesy

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #127 on: April 20, 2008, 01:46:34 PM »

Resolute determination.   Wink

Wyatt

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #128 on: April 20, 2008, 04:44:55 PM »

If that means too ornery to say "quit" then we'll go with it.... Cheesy

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #129 on: April 20, 2008, 04:49:00 PM »

If that means too ornery to say "quit" then we'll go with it.... Cheesy

Yep..if its anything like mine..its an extra bone in the head..generally stuck crosswise.  Grin

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #130 on: April 20, 2008, 05:54:52 PM »

True it is massive, and once you get the concept it's very powerfull.
Now you'll have to learn the thinks not to do Smiley

1 -> Don't rename a track once you have audio on it. The perfect way to corrupt your project file  Evil

Have you reported this to the developers? It might be a bug that hasn't been noticed before.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #131 on: April 20, 2008, 05:55:42 PM »

Wyatt
I think that's one I'll write down  Grin

- Will
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #132 on: April 20, 2008, 06:03:11 PM »

Wyatt
I think that's one I'll write down  Grin

Welcome to the club, Will.  Cheesy

Wyatt

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]