Kara-Moon Forum
March 30, 2024, 01:43:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: A new computer - let's load it up!  (Read 99154 times)
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2007, 01:10:10 PM »

Forgot to mention: stay away from Vista! XP is very stable now, so there is absolutely no need to go to VISTA, not for a long time ! I did consider Linux as an operating system, but didn't wanted to miss some of the window-based tools...
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2007, 08:13:17 AM »

Forgot to mention: stay away from Vista! XP is very stable now, so there is absolutely no need to go to VISTA, not for a long time ! I did consider Linux as an operating system, but didn't wanted to miss some of the window-based tools...

Moon,

Two of my computers run on XP Pro very nicely, one of them a dual processor pentium4 rated at 2.67 gigahertz, and using two 74 gigabyte WD 10,000 harddrives. Windoze is getting crazy with its new demands on memory and hard-drive space, so this third computer will be built from the ground up with Linux in mind. If there are problems during my initial learning period, I can do the job with one of the old computers until the issues are sorted out.

Once Linux becomes familiar to me, I'll get rid of Windoze altogether, and continually update the open-source software as improvements are made. Money I would normally spend on anti-virus software and new versions of Windoze will be donated to the various developers.

That's the plan, man!

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2007, 09:26:04 AM »

There is something else to be considered.
What I really don't like is the way that Microsoft imposes his domination.
Example
Now we have Vista, ok I don't like it but that's my personal taste... but try to get a good laptop with XP on it now. In France it is allmost impossible. And you don't have the choice, new hardware pilots are not developed anymore for XP. In a year max. it will be impossible to buy a laptop with XP on it.

Having said that, the Linux world isn't perfect neither.
Open source development is great but it's biggest problem is organisation. There are quit a lot of similar applications developed by different developers or developper teams. There would be much more progress if those developers could combine there effort in ONE application. But as always with people there is ego involved Smiley I recently read an article on one of developper of the main kernel (he was the genius behind the process thread engine) who simply quit...
This has a side effect, the development is slower, you'll have to wait until some volunteer writes that pilot forthe newest XXX audio card,....
You propably will work with software that doesn't have such a nice interface as the Windows equivalent. I have a perfect example of this. On our site here and in our forum, we have the MMA software. I'm one of the beta testers and power users of MMA. MMA is the equivalent of BIAB for windows. Beside the melody &soloist function it is at least as powerfull as BIAB, IMHO it is even more powerfull. The creation of MMA style is way more then in BIAB, amongst other things. The drawback, it doesn't have a GUI. It works with standard textfiles and you have to learn all the commands, again invest your time !
And one you know it, you'll realise that it doesn't need a GUI Smiley
If you are interested in software like BIAB you should really have look at it. It comes with a couple of tutorials which are really good (I shouldn't say that because I wrote one of them  Embarrassed ). And if you have questions, MMA has his proper board here and Bob (the author of the software) or myself will be happy to help you.

And there are 2 things that new Linux users don't realize....
Linux doesn't stand for free as in no money, it stand as in free to modify it as you want as long as you give back your source. That was the case with the GPL license version 2 (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License )
Now there is Version 3 of the GPL and a lot of developers don't agree with that version, even Linus Torvald thinks it is not as good as version 2. This will certainly have a influence on the open source world.
And the second is that, if you make the decision of switching to Linux, you must realize that you must invest time in learning Linux ! Yes, there are now distributions with plug&play automatic update like Ubuntu which comes close to windows, but it stays Linux. And one day or another you will need that command prompt window ! So buy a book about Linux and learn it, otherwise one day you will be very frustrated.

So, what is the ideal solution ?
There is one, unless you decide to buy a Korg Oasys and abandon the pc as daw  Grin
But you'll still need a PC to post your songs here  Cheesy

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
kara
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2007, 09:35:28 AM »

And I forgot to mention something  Roll Eyes
If you are planning to use open source software, support the developpers !
Yes, one way is by donating money, alltough most developpers do it for free.
But there a lot of ways to help them
- Write documentation or tutorials
- Beta test software for them, beside the fact that you can ask them to implement a feature that you like, you will have the joy of communicating with them. I met Bob (the autor of MMA) on the net and we became internet-friends. I did a lot of beta testing and he implemented a lot of the features I asked.
- Offer them other help, ex. we host the MMA site for free.

Simply said, get involved  Cool

k

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2007, 11:22:10 AM »

Well, besides Linux and Windows, there is still an alternative: Mac ! Operating system shares a lot of components with Linux, but it doesn't have the dissadvantages of Linux, being not many tools or no nice GUI's, installation hassle...

Still, it is a pitty we are missing great software for Linux. EnergyXT is available for Linux, but none of the other big names has something for Linux... A pitty...

P.S.: I'm still waiting for that price drop on the Oasys  Wink
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2007, 05:33:47 PM »

I just got a heads up about this forum from Kara. Gosh, so many things happening in the world, so little time to keep up with it all Smiley

I didn't know anything about energyXT2 being ported to Linux. So, it makes me wonder if there is a current repository for announcements of this kind? The site http://sound.condorow.net/ used to be "the place" to check on a regular basis, but I sense that the maintainer has lost interest or run of time.

And this is a common problem for an awful lot of software as well. A developer works pretty much alone developing his newest toy, offers it to the world (for free), and then waits and waits and waits for kudos and suggestions. Usually, he/she just continues to wait. In the meantime a base of unknown users develops, but since the developer gets so little in the way of positive feedback, the project languishes.

BTW, I do hope some of you will try out MMA. I don't want to brag (too much), but I can tell you that for the kind of music I do (easy going jazz) it works just perfectly. I do gigs with the accomp. 100% MMA generated while I play my saxophones. Perfect? Nope, but the audience seems to enjoy.

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2007, 12:14:49 AM »

This is what I was hoping for!

I don't have the background or personal inclination to get deeply involved in the world of software development, and with all this time spent lately at the computer keyboard, I miss my guitar....

But if attitude and enthusiasm count for anything, it's happening right here. Kara, Moon, bvdp, ....it's a cold corporate world out there - let's warm it up some!

Oren.

* Hoser Stew.jpg (133.23 KB, 684x342 - viewed 760 times.)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 12:16:59 AM by Oren » Logged

bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2007, 10:53:34 PM »

If you're wondering what all this MMA stuff is about, visit the forum on this site. I've just put one of my compositions up on my site http://mellowood.ca/music/recordings/index.html More to test my new Zoom H4 recorder, but does a nice job of demoing MMA with a solo sax. Let me know what you think.

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2007, 02:46:51 AM »

bvdp,

I live just down the road from the PG Music corporation here in Victoria BC Canada. I know the people and the software. They are neighbours, so I use their product, but when the computer goes open-source, all that will change.

MMA sounds like it is at least the equal of BIAB. The backing tracks generated will reflect the skill of the user. For me, the software is most valuable as a songwriting tool, and I'm very happy there is an open-source alternative to my current corporate
backing-track program.

You have a good thing here; keep up the good work!

Oren.

kara
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2007, 07:12:22 AM »

@bvdp

You get a real hang of recording, your recording has improved a lot !
So , if I understand it right you recorded the audio comming out of the speakers, sounds good.
What it misses, since I know the sound of your sax Smiley is the attack of the sound, you know when you blow in it. For next recording it would perhaps be a good idea to use another mix in front of the sax where you can then mix the direct sound with the other one.
If you would do a recording like that, send the tracks to me and i'll show how to to mix them

@Oren
For creating backing tracks, MMA is as powerfull as BIAB and the stylecreator is, alltough text orientated, very powerfull. When you start to use it don't hesitate to ask questions here, as you know now, Bob the autor of the software is active here and I know it pretty well. There a couple of good documents with MMA, a good manual, a getting started document, a tutorial how to create styles.  There is allso a tool that converts Yamaha keyboard styles to MMA styles, it's not perfect but it works well with older yamaha styles (no latest psr & tyros) and there are lot of free styles on the net. It's a perfect start to create your proper style.
Anyway, to give you an idea how MMA works
This is a simple example of how you create a style

//Tutorial style for MMA

Author Kara Music Production - Rony Steelandt

SeqClear
SeqSize 1
Timesig 4 4

Begin Drum Define
   D1 1 8 90 ; 2.5 8 90 ; 4 8 90
   S1 2 8 90 ; 4 8 90
   CH1 1 8 90
   C1 CH1 * 8
End

Begin Bass Define
   B1 1 4+8 1 90 ; 2.5 8 1 90 ; 3 8 1 90 ; 3.5 4 1 90 ; 4.5 8 1 90
   L1 1 2+4 1 90
End

Begin Chord Define
   C1 1 2+4 80 80 80 ; 4 4 80 80 80
End

Begin Drum-Kick
   Tone KickDrum1
   Sequence D1
End

Begin Drum-Snare
   Tone SnareDrum1
   Sequence S1
End

Begin Drum-HH
   Tone ClosedHiHat
   Sequence C1
End

Begin Bass-Simple
   Voice AcousticBass
   Sequence B1
End

Begin Bass-LeftHandPiano
   Voice Piano1
   Sequence L1
   Octave 3  // This a new command, but simple to understand
End

Begin Chord-RightHandPiano
   Voice Piano1
   Sequence C1
   Octave 5
End

DefGroove Myrock1

And creating a song couldn't be simplier...
Groove Myrock1
1   Am
2   D
3   Am
4   Am
5   Am
6   D
7   Am
8   Am
9   Dm
10   G
11   Dm
12   Dm / / E7
13   Am
14   D
15   Am
16   Am

k

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2007, 04:39:17 PM »

Hey thanks!

I can work with that  Cool

bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2007, 05:12:59 PM »

@bvdp

You get a real hang of recording, your recording has improved a lot !
So , if I understand it right you recorded the audio comming out of the speakers, sounds good.
What it misses, since I know the sound of your sax Smiley is the attack of the sound, you know when you blow in it. For next recording it would perhaps be a good idea to use another mix in front of the sax where you can then mix the direct sound with the other one.
If you would do a recording like that, send the tracks to me and i'll show how to to mix them

Oh, this is NOT meant to be an example of a mixed, studio recording. It's just a demo to show how easy it is to use the H4. Yes, I just put the H4 on a table in front of the speakers playing the MMA file and played the sax. One take. No mixing! And, considering that it took less than 5 minutes to "produce" the recording ... well, I'm pleased.

I certainly DO NOT think that recordings of this type will replace professional sound engineers Smiley

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2007, 05:14:46 PM »

Tuesday September 4th, my Linux computer tech is coming to my apartment to tune up both of my computers, and install Studio 64 on the second hard-drive of the faster one. He's downloaded the package, and made a disk that will supply the software from the CD drive, or install the whole package as an operating  system on the computer.
Brace yourself, world, things will never be the same  Grin !

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2007, 07:01:58 PM »

Way to go!

Do keep is informed of your first impressions.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
kara
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2007, 07:45:42 PM »

Prepare yourself to enter a new world  Shocked Grin

k