Kara-Moon Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:19:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: A new computer - let's load it up!  (Read 99087 times)
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2007, 11:56:24 PM »

A change of plans - the new computer is being built in an Antec Sonata quiet case with 120mm fan on a 500 watt power supply. The Sonata is a case the tech is comfortable with, having done several builds in it, and he tells me it is nearly impossible to determine if the computer is running, without looking at the lights.

The computer will be ready, Linux installed and tested, Thursday September 20th.

Oren.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 12:13:06 AM by Oren » Logged

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2007, 08:11:32 AM »

You are exactly like me Oren, I hate computer noise in my studio  Grin

Moon knows the Antec boxes pretty well.

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2007, 09:08:12 AM »

Kara,

I was going to give away the old Athlon 1700+ because it's slow and sounds like a washing machine Cheesy, but the technician suggested I install some quiet fans, get rid of XP Pro, and run it on Linux.

The Linux O/S will make maximum use of the existing RAM (512mb), take up less room on the hard drive, and streamline operations for faster performance. Perfect for downloading/uploading all the big files that pass through here, leaving the other two computers available for music processing.

Too much fun, really... Cool

Oren.

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2007, 05:12:54 PM »

Sounds like you made a good move. I'll be interested to hear how
slick it is once you get going with it.

Cheers,

Wyatt

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2007, 06:36:07 PM »

Moon knows the Antec boxes pretty well.

k

Yes, great cases, not perfect silent, but great. I own a Antec NSK2400. I've changed the side cooler for a better result. This case contains my Linux server (data and backup server) and makes very little noise. Considering the price tag, this case comes highly recommended.
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2007, 09:16:43 PM »

My case is an Antec Take 3. Very quiet. Solid too!

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2007, 09:19:08 PM »

Kara,

I was going to give away the old Athlon 1700+ because it's slow and sounds like a washing machine Cheesy, but the technician suggested I install some quiet fans, get rid of XP Pro, and run it on Linux.

The Linux O/S will make maximum use of the existing RAM (512mb), take up less room on the hard drive, and streamline operations for faster performance. Perfect for downloading/uploading all the big files that pass through here, leaving the other two computers available for music processing.

Too much fun, really... Cool

Oren.

Steady Lad.

Don't want to hear you done gone and O.D.ed Grin

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2007, 06:30:07 AM »

My case is an Antec Take 3. Very quiet. Solid too!

Yes, good case!
Lian has also some great cases, but there are more expensive than Antec (you pay for the looks as well!)
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2007, 07:40:51 PM »

Our man Jonathon at DTI computers has hit a snag. 64 Studio won't load - something about the "xwindows" function...not functioning? He's busily reconfiguring Ubuntu (his personal favourite) with a real-time 64 bit kernel - ouch!

Being immediately out of my depth, I bailed and came here  Cheesy. If there are any takers with an idea about how to pull 64 Studio out of the fire....

Oren.

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2007, 07:45:06 PM »

Strange, Xwindows is the graphics server of linux and is pretty standard for all linux distributions AFAIK

But he is the expert....

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2007, 07:51:02 PM »

Guaranteed, he'll be more of an expert after successfully completing this little maneuver  Grin.

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2007, 08:09:32 PM »

This very puzzling. The only problem I've ever heard of with 'X' on any debian based distro is not recognising obscure graphics cards or monitors, but even then you should get SOME display - prolly limited to 800*640 256 colours. Then if you have to, you can edit the monitors file by hand to get sensible defaults.

- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2007, 08:44:31 PM »

So, Will....

I'll try and get Jonathon to log on here and set the problem out in more explicit terms. This is a valuable exercise, and everyone will benefit. Any pearls you may be able to send his way, once he's laid out the situation, will be invaluable Cool.

Oren.

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2007, 06:32:49 PM »

The way it's going...

Jonathon is installing Ubuntu Ultimate edition. With his real-time mod of the 64-bit kernel. Cool, eh? The computer is up and running - he just wants to be sure the drivers are in place for my old M-Audio Audiophile 2496 card.
He tells me this edition has every possible Linux toy, streamlined to work as one big happy family.

I don't want to get overly cosmic here, but if the flow is with Ubuntu, then who am I to buck the tide? Jonathan seems to work intuitively, and set 64 Studio aside early in the game when it showed signs of incompatability with our little project.

He's my main man on this, so I'll go with his recommendations.
I have the discs for 64 Studio, and may use it as the operating system on the old Athlon machine (once my brain unscrambles Cheesy), to replace XP Pro.

Today I'm installing a router to go with the new high-speed web hook-up my ISP just provided. Two hardwired computers (three, when the new one arrives), my wife's wireless laptop, and our broadband telephone, all sharing the same system.

Here goes...

Oren.

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2007, 05:12:12 AM »

Jonathan is nearly finished re-compiling the 64-bit Ubuntu kernel. When examining the real-time feature, he realized they are still using their 32-bit real-time "utility", so he has upgraded it to 64 bit before incorporating it into the new kernel.

I'll pick up the computer next week after he's had lots of time to put it through its paces. My mother always said, you can't hurry a good thing  Grin.

Oren.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: