Kara-Moon Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:33:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quiet here lately  (Read 6069 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« on: September 07, 2007, 10:35:52 PM »

... so I've decided to put up a new tune Smiley

This is one I never seem to stop fiddling with, although the core melody hasn't changed since I first composed it.

Oddly (almost spookily) I'm quite unable to remember what inspired this in the first place  Shocked

* Sad_Angel.mp3 (3349.96 KB - downloaded 255 times.)

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 11:35:28 PM »

Folderol,

I reccomend that you continue to fiddle with it,as this piece has some nice Enya-quality progressions to it. Smiley
In terms of fiddling with it,I think some multi-layered piano/synth bass notes would fit in well here.
I would like to break the silence around here as well,but I'm kinda tapped out & I have been preoccupied with some stuff.

Elwood

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 08:12:47 AM »

Hi Will,

It is true that the song has an Enya flavour.
Now since you miss here voice, the song will need a  bit of build up and variations. Perhaps it could be a good idea , after the first 2 progressions, you start with a simple beat and bass track to support the song ? A bit like 'Anywhere' from here.

It's true that it is a bit quiter here at the moment but it has a reason  Grin
A lot of the core members here have been hiding for 6 months in the kara-moon collective section here. This section is hidden and only visible for the kara-moon collective members, in this section we all worked hard to get the first Kara-Moon CD ready, it's called 'In a spin'.
At the moment the songs are done and are been mastered by 2 mastering engineers, one version for the hardware CD and one version for the MP3 download version. Allso the artwork is allmost ready.
The CD will be available for sale mid december.
Expect a preview track of the CD very soon in the public section.

We all have been working very hard on this first CD to make it something very unique and of high quality.
Now  that most of the work is done, you'll see more activity in the public forums Smiley

Allso for mastering of songs we are in the process of preparing something new, so stay in touch. We are far from been dead and are preparing some extra services for you all !

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 11:37:08 AM »

Hi guys. I was never really trying to emulate Enya with this one, although I guess I was quite strongly influenced by her at the time I composed it.

-> Elwood

I hadn't thought of using a piano part. I shall give that some thought.

-> kara

Although there is a 'low register' strings line in the music, I had wanted to avoid specific bass as I was afraid that anything too defined would subtract from the smoothness. I have however tried various instrument variations to keep it alive, and will no doubt continue to refine them. I am particularly pleased with the ocarina/reed close harmony that starts at 1:52

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 06:23:21 PM »

Hi Folderol
'Ethereal' is the right word to define this track and the atmosphere it builds.
The choice of sounds is really good, and I'm not thinking of single sounds but using them as an ensamble, as this track requires.
I understand your choice not to use standard bass

I am particularly pleased with the ocarina/reed close harmony that starts at 1:52
Cool thing, there's room for instruments with subtle sounds, imo
Because this is not a loud rock thing

Well done

Cheers
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 07:10:38 PM »

Thanks very much for your comments. I'm well chuffed that so many people like this track Smiley

Something I didn't mention is that all the instruments are created with ZynAddSubFX. I find that having too many 'different' pieces of software or hardware actually inhibits me, and almost puts me in a panic state, so when I found Zyn. I decided to really concentrate on getting as much out of it as I can.

- Will
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 08:08:36 PM »

mhhh.. that's interesting... I didn't know a thing called ZynAddSubFX exhisted Embarrassed
I googled it and I learned it's an open-source project and seems very powerful  Cheesy

Cheers
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 07:26:45 PM »

I have to be very careful talking about Zyn. as I tend to get a bit evanglical about it Grin

The GUI is difficult to manage at first, but then there are a LOT of parameters you can tweak, and it was written almost entirely by a 24yo Romanian mathematician.

Conceptually, it matches my mental image of sound far closer than any other synth. The additive and subtractive synths are very good, however the pad synth is rather special in that it mathematically creates sound samples on-the-fly that perfectly loop.

- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 10:15:07 PM »

Class act, Will! My compliments to you and your Romanian.
I can hardly wait to get Linuxed so I can hob-nob with you creative types... Shocked

Oren.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: