Kara-Moon Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:27:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Update September 2007  (Read 33298 times)
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2007, 10:07:50 AM »

Rharv and Oren: thanks for the info! Always interesting to hear what people mix and master with.

Also known as Marc JXP
rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2007, 10:39:26 AM »

Marc, as is frequently stated on other recording forums- it's not which speaker you use, but rather the fact that you KNOW those speakers.  Experience and practice let's you get familiar enough with how they should sound to allow making other things sound how you want them to sound. I think you are pretty familiar with those KRP's.
 Some people don't like *flat* speakers.  I happen to really appreciate them. I always check my work on a bunch of systems before calling it done (which is why I have so many speaker setups around the house) but I always work on the set I'm most familiar with.  This is the key- being familiar with your speakers.  If you know your speakers you can get just as a good a mix out of $100 speakers as you can out of $1000 speakers.  I'm not saying they will sound the same while doing it, but knowing your speakers allows you to hear what needs to be done (or what you want done in some instances).

I have many more speaker setups in the house besides those mentioned, but I didn't want to list everything, just what I use as main mixing/mastering setups.
The ones listed are connected to the main music computer, others are scattered about the house.  Drives my wife nuts!  ("Do we really need these speakers in the laundry room?!")  Of course we do  Grin
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 10:41:16 AM by rharv » Logged

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2007, 11:50:08 AM »

Marc, as is frequently stated on other recording forums- it's not which speaker you use, but rather the fact that you KNOW those speakers.

Very good point, and one that I very much support. Having a relatively linear system is important too. Before my Rokit's I mixed on my computer speakers (which I sometimes still do if the mix is not final and I don't want to switch the RP5's on) and I always had trouble with muddy sounding mixes since they sounded ok on my computer speakers. I'm glad that the Rokit's allow me to hear better what's going on even though I currently suspect that their bass needs to be set lower; they're quite close to a wall and I think that amplifies the perception of the bass levels, resulting in a roll off on the bass in the track.

Also known as Marc JXP
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2007, 04:54:38 AM »

Marc,

About being over-conscious of bass response due to your speaker placement.....in my opinion: a very good thing.
An educated listener will know when to turn up the bass frequencies for their preference in playback EQ, and will likely have the equipment to handle some punch and rumble without distortion or muddy bottom end. Most consumer audio gear can't handle the really resonant bass tones, and all kinds of nasty sonic conflicts can occur when an average listener is inundated with too much bass.

By all means include those gorgeous low-end frequencies, but mix them at relatively modest levels. Your speaker placement, to my ears is absolutely ideal!

Oren.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 05:14:47 PM by Oren » Logged

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2007, 09:20:40 AM »

Another little item of possible interest to those who use plugins to mix/master their music:

Because I eventually want to do all my work with Linux and open-source software, Audacity is the workstation being used to master the down-load version of "In A Spin".
At first I decided to go up-scale on this one and use the Kjaerhus Audio effects, but found "Classic Master Limiter" to produce some odd dropouts in various places in a song, usually toward the end of a track. So, back to the LADSPA open-source plugins.

The only issue - I can't find an equalizer in th LADSPA collection that can match the warmth and presence brought to the music by Kjaerhus's "Classic EQ". This plug-in has adjustments for "saturation" and "warmth" that take that extra bit of high-frequency content I like to include when mastering for Ogg Vorbis and MP3 and introduce it as a smooth, articulate part of the over-all sonic spectrum.

So our "In A Spin" downloads will be EQed using the Classic EQ plugin, unless one of you resourceful individuals can recommend an open-source alternative with similar capabilities...

Oren.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 10:53:55 PM by Oren » Logged

rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2007, 02:19:56 PM »

Are you sure it was the Classic Limiter that caused the dropout, or did it just make it noticable?
 It's interesting to know that Linux has certain plugins that don't play well with it, just like windoze does..I've never experienced that phenom with Classic Master Limiter..

I could never get used to working in Audacity. Does it have other skins that may make it a more comfortable interface?

Anyway- lookin' forward to the results.  I'm sure you could make it sound good with a spoon and a knife..

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2007, 07:59:57 PM »

I don't know which version of Audacity you've used, but I do know it had a major re-vamp about 6-8 months ago. Also, every time I do an update on my distro, there seems to be another new plugin!

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2007, 11:19:19 PM »

Bob,

Yes, Audacity has quite an uninspiring presentation, and things often need to be accomplished in a somewhat plodding sequence of steps, but given my methodical inclinations, the program suits me very nicely. Think of it as a "style" thing  Roll Eyes (or lack of style?) In this little organization, Mr. Harvey has all the panache  Cool.

I took one of the glitchy files, started with the original artist's .wav version, and applied all of the plugins one at a time, listening carefully before adding the next effect. Classic Master Limiter was applied last, and that's when the drop-outs occur. Undo the Master Limiter, and apply the LADSPA Dyson compressor - big, bold sound, and no glitches. The Classic EQ, however, works like a charm; outstanding "analog vibe".

Will,

I've been inundated of late, so am still working with Audacity in windoze. I think the program is "dummied down" somewhat, compared to the constantly upgraded version that is available to run on a Linux platform. I can hardly wait to get the new Linux computer in action so I can work with the updated programs and plugins, but right now I feel like a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest. Just a matter of time, however... Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 01:30:39 AM by Oren » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: