Kara-Moon Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:31:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Arturia Jupiter 8V  (Read 6776 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: September 15, 2007, 11:08:23 PM »

After having thought back to the late 80's when I had my Korg DS-8,I really missed having a synth that I could tweak the snot out of,& then today,I happened to stumble upon the retro Roland Jupiter 8 keyboard at Sweetwater.com

I had seen this board before, several weeks back,but I completely overlooked the fact that it was manufactured by Arturia,& not Roland-which is why I could never locate the product since then-until today.

I just purchased the Arturia,& the Zoom MRS-4B digital 4 track online, & decided to hold off on the Kurzweil for now.

It was a tough decision,but since I still had a long way to go with coming up with the green for the Kurzweil-I figured in the interim-I might as well learn analogue synthesis and multi-track audio recording and I can do this all for just $350(USD)
-so I went for it.
The idea that I could have the same synth power as Howard Jones & Duran Duran(back in the day) for $200(USD)-I just could not pass up this oppurtunity.

I am also thinking that Kurzweil is overdue in updating thier products to compete with other current workstations,so if they do so in the next year,it will bring thier
K2661 down in price even further(I hope).

Elwood

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 01:23:50 AM »

After months of research everday for hours at a time,along with insufficient funds-the whole gear expedition as finally taken it's toll on me;my brain is completely fried.
I just realized that the Arturia Jupiter 8V is not a keyboard,but merely a software package...I'm done Tongue...I am emotionally exhausted...I need a break from my life.

The picture of the keyboard that is right next to the picture of the software package on Sweetwater's ad is very convincing though,-so I don't feel like a complete moron. Roll Eyes

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 07:49:36 AM »

o boy :/ since I your first post you stated that you puchased it, I hope you can cancel your order

The arturia package is indeed the software emulation of the famous Roland JP8 on which they have added some features. The Roland JP8 has been used by allmost everybody who had a name in the el. music business

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 09:16:12 AM »

Yes, it's software indeed, but you can get a hardware version in the form of a Varios. See http://www.roland.com/products/en/VariOS/index.html. This unit is end of life but you can pick it up on ebay for not to much cash.

In case you want to go for analogue synthesis, you might as well have a look at the Nord synths and the Viruses. These are great, but also pricy... and that goes for any serious hardware synth. If your limited on cash and want to buy something new, you might want to consider Korg's MicroKorg or Alesis's micron. There are not mush more expensive than Arturia's software synths...

Legaly, you have 7 days to cancel your order, well, at least in Europe, so I hope you were able to cancel your's...

Moon
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 03:12:34 PM »

Kara,

Sweetwater has a list of promotional ads which is an index of featured products that has a picture of a keyboard(which is actually a computer screenshot)-but it's made to look like a keyboard & like I had said,it's very convincing & misleading-it's very odd to say the least.
I was also thrown off by the price,& since I am unfamiliar with software,I thought the price was too high for software-which also lead me to believe it was a keyboard.
I'm not worried about cancelling the order,as Sweetwater does not charge until the order is confirmed by a sales person-but if I were to be charged,the worst case scenario is that I would have to wait a couple days for the return credit to show up on my debit card.
I'm just really embarrassed & disappointed by the whole thing,that's all. Embarrassed

Moon,

I did not do any harm to myself with the mishap,but I really need to take it easy & just give myself time to set aside more money-as that will make everything alot more simple next time around.
I'm looking into the Nord keyboard as I write this...

Thanks for the support guys. Smiley

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 06:32:15 PM »

Thanks for the support guys. Smiley

Always welcome  Wink
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name