Kara-Moon Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:56:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Beyond my thoughts  (Read 16240 times)
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« on: May 03, 2009, 04:41:56 PM »

I've been absence for quiet a while... I'm glad to be back though. The last few months have been hectic with very few moments for music writing. However, I did have time to make a minimal new setup, build around a new soft called 'Cantabile'. Amazing piece of software if you're looking for something that you can use live.

The following song was performed live. I first recorded a simple loopwave. Next I've used a sequence CS80 sound layered on a CS80 soft string. The bell-like of lead comes from Sylenth1. The brass-like sound is a layered sound using CS80 and Sylenth1.

I'v enjoyed recording this one... and remember why I like writing and playing music so much because it allows me to forget everything else and come to rest. That's why this one is called 'Beyond my Thoughts...'. Enjoy...

Moon

* MrMoon - Beyond my thoughts.mp3 (5891.53 KB - downloaded 319 times.)
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 06:24:46 PM »

I like a lot the song, it's a nice straightforward composition with a very good sound scape  Cool
But ... 2 remarks
- Isn't there a way to incorporate EQ in your live setup, at the moment the whole performance is rather messy
- AND WHERE IS THAT F****ng bass  Huh Jesus, Moon you're my brother and there is no bass in that song  Undecided

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 06:32:33 PM »

There's allready an EQ on the lead-bell. I can add FX in any chain, but I'm using my Sennheiser headset, so not mush use trying EQing without the monitors on (kids are just in bed... )

About the bass... what the hell is bass Huh  Grin

Oh, now I remember, I only have two hands to play with allthough I could layer a bass appregio on my left hand playing...

Moon
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 08:21:20 PM »

Agree it definitely needs bass. It's a lovely floaty tune but without something to anchor it, well... it might just float away Shocked

Listening on el-cheapo computer speakers at the moment, so can't really comment further.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 11:14:25 PM »

Moon,

This was really a joy to listen,despite the fact that there's no f**king bass(to borrow a phrase from Kara. Grin
I know that Kara is going to end up adding a bass track to this,but I would love to collaborate with you on this one also(if you're up to it).
I think it would be really fun if various folks here contributed a verse or two to this song & created several different versions to see what develops....what's your take on this?
If you want to,please send me a WAV file ASAP! Cheesy

-Thom

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 01:33:27 PM »

Mr Moon, that was outstanding   wOO

Absolutely brilliant   

Even more impressive was the fact that it was done live wOO

I may be the only one on the forum that says this but I like it, as it is, light and airy.  I didn’t miss the bass at all  (sorry Kara!)

This is a keeper wOO

The older I get the better I was!
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 06:13:26 PM »

Thanks Mario ! Appreciate the comments  Kiss

While the recording was merely an inspiration of the moment, it ended up quiet nicely indeed. However, it doesn't mean we couldn't make this one a bit more perfect... even with some bass... if someone is up to it  Wink

So here's the thing. Let's collaborate !!!  Smiley

I don't want to loose the concept of the song, and it's still one that must fit in the setup of a live performance. Pure music please !  Wink

So this is what I need:
- A bass midi or wave part in G  for 4 bars long
- A bass midi or wave part in D for 4 bars long
- Some drum part of 4 bars long, build with ethnical drum sounds that complement each other
- Some 'etheral' soundscape to complement the song (samples to be triggered while playing)...

The idea is to trigger wave or midi loops while performing live. The bass will be triggered together with the left hand playing.

The resulting performance will be posted on youtube... as proof that one can make a great live performance with material collected out of a forum collab !

Looking forward allready... !!!

Moon

P.S.: Thom, I could make some loopsamples for you so we can make a kind of 'Trilogy'... ehhrrr.... I know, it takes three parts to make a thrilogy, so let's first see who else we can get onboard...
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 08:44:27 PM »

The idea is to trigger wave or midi loops while performing live. The bass will be triggered together with the left hand playing.
 one can make a great live performance with material collected out of a forum collab !

Cool song, with a lot of potential!

I'm going to stand aside and let those of you who work with loops and samples build on this. It is going to be amazing... Cool

kara
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 12:02:56 PM »

ok what you think of this ?
No loops, live played

k

* MrMoon - Beyond my thoughts with bass.ogg (5136.07 KB - downloaded 312 times.)

kara
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 03:09:44 PM »

I thought it could use some percussion too...
Mind you I'm not the best percussion player in the world, you could ask Wyat....

The percussion was played live on a small turkish jembe

k

* MrMoon - Beyond my thoughts bas & perc.ogg (5227.54 KB - downloaded 293 times.)

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 03:33:13 PM »

Gotta love that jembe! I guess Moon could sample your playing, then loop it in a live performance?

kara
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 04:28:27 PM »

Gotta love that jembe! I guess Moon could sample your playing, then loop it in a live performance?

Sure he could, but it wouldn't sound live Grin

k

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 06:33:12 PM »

Sure he could, but it wouldn't sound live Grin

k

OK, you just have to bring your jembe with you on the next KM-gig.  Wink
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 07:49:33 PM »

Great song.

Great job you guys!

Cool

Wyatt

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 09:08:02 PM »

I liked the bass addition, but wasn't so keen on the perc. Mind you had I first heard the tune with perc. I would probably say it didn't sound right without it Huh

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: