Kara-Moon Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:57:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Ancestry  (Read 20921 times)
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« on: July 23, 2009, 09:57:56 PM »

Here is a little Rhodes piano composition that is the basis for a song about the possibility we may receive advice and assistance from our ancestors. I've always found it a fascinating concept, and now a "medium" by the name of Allison Dubois has made a very public assertion that is does, in fact, occur.

The song will eventually be performed with C = 528 Hz, but while it is still in concert pitch, I thought I'd run the basic progression by you.

* Ancestry.ogg (5248.62 KB - downloaded 340 times.)

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 10:25:52 PM »

Very pretty stuff Oren. Solid beginning and intriguing as well..

Can't wait to hear what you do with it.

Cool

Wyatt

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 10:37:12 PM »

Interesting Foundation Oren....some nice changes in this piece. 8)Have no clue what C= 528Hz is,or what concert pitch is...sounds like chaos math to me. Huh

-Thom

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 07:24:30 AM »

Wyatt,

Upon further reflection, it sounds like a good idea to add a little more interest with the Rhodes where the chord changes are sparse. The piano will be accompanied by just a vocal and one guitar, and maybe some understated electric bass.

Thanks for taking the time to listen... Smiley

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 08:28:34 AM »

Interesting Foundation Oren....some nice changes in this piece. 8)Have no clue what C= 528Hz is,or what concert pitch is...sounds like chaos math to me. Huh

Thom,

In recent times, some folks decided to standardize music to the seven-note scale we use today. Previous to that, a lot of European music was based on a scale known as "Solfeggio". Currently, C5 on the keyboard is 523.25 Hz - the older scale had C5 tuned to 528 Hz.

Some synth players re-tune their instruments to the old scale. I prefer the sound of it.
It's tricky to play guitar in a composition based on the Solfeggio scale, because of the way it is fretted, but it's possible...  Grin

From Michael Walton:" KEYBOARD PLAYERS can easily retune their instruments to the equivalent of a 528Hz. The Korg Oasys keyboard calibrates to 444.09Hz in the global preferences; virtually all other synthesizers and software based synthesizers can be set to precisely 444Hz. These settings will immediately give you the ability to play in harmony with retuned stringed instruments."

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 12:13:07 PM »

Wyatt,

Upon further reflection, it sounds like a good idea to add a little more interest with the Rhodes where the chord changes are sparse. The piano will be accompanied by just a vocal and one guitar, and maybe some understated electric bass.

Thanks for taking the time to listen... Smiley

Great idea Oren.  Adding to many instruments would mess this up IMHO.

FWIW my line up, based on just this Rhodes, would be nylon string guitar, upright bass, a flute and vocals (yours of course).

This has the makings of a very pretty song. Good luck with it. 

The older I get the better I was!
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 12:21:37 PM »

Great idea Oren.  Adding too many instruments would mess this up IMHO.
FWIW my line up, based on just this Rhodes, would be nylon string guitar, upright bass, a flute and vocals (yours of course).
This has the makings of a very pretty song. Good luck with it. 

Thankyou for the recommendations, Mario! Those instruments are right on for the tone I had in mind... wOO

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 09:24:47 AM »

I normally don't download music when I'm away with the camper, principal reason is that I pay per downloaded Kb and not on the connection time... but I had to listen to this one  Grin
Also on an average throughput of 20 Kb/sec with my GPRS key it takes some time to get it  Sad

But it was worth the wait, the idea of the song is very interesting and it has a sweet chord progression, ideal for a ballad. I wonder how it will sound when retuned  Wink

But, I wonder why you choosed a rhodes ? Since it is an electric instrument... if you want to stay in the 'spirit' of old ballads perhaps you could try a clavinet or a clavecimbel or another old type of keyboard ? Just an idea....
A flute would certainly be a good idea to add, ask James, those whistles exist since the beginning of music Smiley

Looking forward where this will take you

k - having a great time in holiday

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 10:05:43 AM »

But, I wonder why you choosed a rhodes ? Since it is an electric instrument... if you want to stay in the 'spirit' of old ballads perhaps you could try a clavinet or a clavecimbel or another old type of keyboard ? Just an idea....
A flute would certainly be a good idea to add, ask James, those whistles exist since the beginning of music

Kara,

When I use a synthetic soundsource for one of my own songs, I prefer to employ a decidedly "synthetic" sound rather than try to emulate a natural instrument. This song is one that will go all the way to final production (rather than an exercise or experiment), and I want the instruments that are sequenced to be clearly identifiable as a digital construct. The "Rhodes" will get an added phase effect, just so no-one will think it's actually a piano player sitting at a real instrument.
Likewise, because Hydrogen sounds so much like a real drummer, I'm working with a program called "Hammerhead" to produce synthetic percussion tracks, instead. The idea is to create sequenced tracks that support the composition, without trying to "replace" an actual instrumentalist.

So yes, if I want a flute or whistle in the song, James is the man. Or you, if I want real piano. But for my taste, synthetic tracks should sound synthetic, not an approximation of something an accomplished player could perform with so much more feeling.

Am I making any sense...? Grin
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 10:47:29 PM by Oren » Logged

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 12:03:08 PM »

Am I making any sense...? Grin

Yep, makes sense to me  Wink

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 10:55:56 PM »

Here is the Rhodes piano track EQed to emphasize the percussive qualities and bass notes. Then, a soft synth "pad" was added to smooth out the rough edges. The whole track has been re-tuned so that A = 444.09 Hz.
As it stands, the Rhodes track will serve as bass, percussion, and chord accompaniment. Vocals and melody guitar will finish it

....................I hope..................... Roll Eyes

* AncestryKeys.ogg (3744.55 KB - downloaded 312 times.)

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 12:37:57 AM »

Here is the Rhodes piano track EQed to emphasize the percussive qualities and bass notes. Then, a soft synth "pad" was added to smooth out the rough edges. The whole track has been re-tuned so that A = 444.09 Hz.
As it stands, the Rhodes track will serve as bass, percussion, and chord accompaniment. Vocals and melody guitar will finish it

....................I hope..................... Roll Eyes

Oh, that's simply gorgeous!

I love the tonal quality you have given this..

..absolutely first class, Oren; go for it!

Cool

Wyatt

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 02:44:02 AM »

...Oh, that's simply gorgeous!
I love the tonal quality you have given this...

Thanks Wyatt. After hearing some of the work you have done lately, venturing into this area seems a little less daunting  wOO

(I gotta tell you that working with sequencers and synthetic sound sources makes me nervous as hell... There is this nagging feeling that one day I may wake up and realize my all songs sound like karaoke. Just friggin' shoot me... Cheesy)

kuguar

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 11:46:52 AM »

Ancestry  and AncestryKey are two absolutely huge differences (like saying in Odessa).Anyway it's something enigmate , sounds like musicbox. Beautifully, Oren!
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 04:53:12 PM »

Ancestry  and AncestryKey are two absolutely huge differences (like saying in Odessa).Anyway it's something enigmate , sounds like musicbox. Beautifully, Oren!

Thankyou, Oleg!

We will see if you think so once I start singing.... Roll Eyes

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: